Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Jojajn lives in Minnesota in a typical 1960s looking midwest tract home he was bragging about months ago. His/her opinion on the "desirability" of a location is highly blemished by that fact alone.

You can post any number of surveys that show what "objective" measures denote what makes a state "desireable" --- unfortunately, the very definition of "desirable" is simply that people want to live there. Some states and locales are desirable, but unattainable or expensive. We have many many many areas in Florida that would meet that criteria, but many other areas that are just as or more affordable than some piece of frozen tundra overlooking a polluted river in the midwest. I'm afraid, however, that I can point to no such example in Minnesota to help you grasp the concept that is obviously eluding you.

On most "desirability" rankings, the United States ranks far below places like Sweden and Finland in terms of desirability. However, most people with half a brain know that trying to compare the US to Finland is about as useful as comparing Montana to Florida, due to the vast differences in population, climate, topography, demographics, etc. Or Florida to New Hampshire. Most people.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:32 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm not surprised to see Utah at the top of the list. The Mormons I've known have tended to be very happy people no matter where they live, and their faith emphasizes people taking care of themselves both physically and spiritually.

As for Florida's ranking in that study, it's essentially an average state that actually ranks ahead of the heavily touted Tennessee and North Carolina (and also New York). I'm actually surprised that it rated as highly as it did, considering how physical health was one of the metrics and we've got a ton of rather sickly old people down here.
Very true about the Mormons but the high population of Mormons would actually be a deterrent for some people thinking about moving there if they are not Mormons.

I think Jojoan missed the title of the thread.

As far as our older population here, I actually see it quite different. While we do have a higher average age than many areas, I see many of the elderly out doing things which help keep them a little healthier than I saw with the elderly population when I lived up north.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:06 AM

187 posts, read 949,874 times
People are still moving to Florida because the weather is more desired. December, January and February can be real hard on the human condition in the North. December, January and February can be pleasurable in Florida.

People are still moving to Florida because the weather is better. I have met many, many Florida transplants from the North whose job can be performed via telecommuting. I have met many new residents who are in sales and can work from Florida. We are in the Psychozoic Era and will be for many years. This will change all the National Population Staistics. It has started and can't be stopped. The weather is simply more desirable in Florida and that is important to humans.

PANAMA CITY 2, FLORIDA - Climate Summary

Old 05-24-2009, 09:18 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbsolute View Post
The weather is simply more desirable in Florida and that is important to humans.
There are many other factors that are important to families and singles looking to relocate to any state. Some of these factors are good wages, job opportunities, cultural amenities, 4 seasons, and public transportation options. This is why you are seeing a decline of people moving to Florida from states that offer these amenities. Jobs and wages are more important than weather in this economy.

Census: Less people moving to Florida (http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/local/042209census_report - broken link)

Old 05-24-2009, 09:53 AM

187 posts, read 949,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
There are many other factors that are important to families and singles looking to relocate to any state. Some of these factors are good wages, job opportunities, cultural amenities, 4 seasons, and public transportation options. This is why you are seeing a decline of people moving to Florida from states that offer these amenities. Jobs and wages are more important than weather in this economy.

Census: Less people moving to Florida (http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/local/042209census_report - broken link)
What's up Collingswood. You still have that auction over there? Been a while since I attended.

That just happens to be a decent segway into my point... In this psychozoic era all business is going to be about where the rubber meets the road. The day of the middlemen is closing tighter.

I ponder and ponder both macro and micro economics. There is a shift underway. It will get blurred from time to time, but nonetheless the migration has started.

This can look like a micro economic event when you look at State by State statistics but that is a red herring. This is a macro economic event that won't be stopped. When businesses can outsource, they outsource. America lost it's competitiveness decades ago and in this era it won't get it back. When all the noise is stripped away we will find that every human will prosper only on what that human unit produces.

There will be an event that we don't yet comprehend that will evacuate cities like my NYC and your Philly. All we can do now is condition our bodies and minds and prepare.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:05 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I can find you 10 more that say the quality of life is better in Florida..[/QUOTE
]

Then do it!

Old 05-24-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
As far as our older population here, I actually see it quite different. While we do have a higher average age than many areas, I see many of the elderly out doing things which help keep them a little healthier than I saw with the elderly population when I lived up north.
Yeah, many are staying active because they have to return to work!

Quote:
“This paints a very rosy picture, but I would describe this as an anomaly because our 1.3 million members are returning to the workforce because they can’t afford their prescription drugs anymore, not because they want to,” said Phillips, about the lobbying organization for seniors. “Our seniors have lost 20 percent of their buying power so I would call these people (on the Treasure Coast) very, very fortunate.”
Aging Treasure Coast residents changing the rules of retirement and work : Treasure Coast : TCPalm

Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yeah, many are staying active because they have to return to work!

Aging Treasure Coast residents changing the rules of retirement and work : Treasure Coast : TCPalm

You didn't even read the article did you.

From the article

"Using their life savings, Murphy and DePalma had varying reasons for abandoning retirement and opening a business during the economic downturn.

Contrary to public perception, their decision didn’t come from financial need."

And

“I was just bored to tears, and retirement wasn’t really for me, anyway,” said Jim Lewis, a former Lockheed Martin Corp. executive who used some of the couple’s retirement savings to open the business. “For now, it’s more of a deli concept because we’re only open for lunch, but when we get our alcohol vendor’s license we’ll be open later.”

It was about older Floridians opening their own business not out of need to make money but for something to do.

The blurb you decided to quote was a spokesman for a senior organization and he was speaking about seniors nationwide. So it seems that some Floridian seniors are doing better than the norm.

Thank you for helping show why people are still moving to Florida.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:49 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,270 times
Many seniors are being forced back to work with the state of the stock market and their investments. Not to mention all the very old Jews in S. Florida who lost everything in the Madoff and other S. Florida Ponzi schemes. They just busted another schemer scammer in Boca Raton that was living in a $1.1 million dollar home. Sick people.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You didn't even read the article did you.

From the article

"Using their life savings, Murphy and DePalma had varying reasons for abandoning retirement and opening a business during the economic downturn.

Contrary to public perception, their decision didn’t come from financial need."

And

“I was just bored to tears, and retirement wasn’t really for me, anyway,” said Jim Lewis, a former Lockheed Martin Corp. executive who used some of the couple’s retirement savings to open the business. “For now, it’s more of a deli concept because we’re only open for lunch, but when we get our alcohol vendor’s license we’ll be open later.”

It was about older Floridians opening their own business not out of need to make money but for something to do.

The blurb you decided to quote was a spokesman for a senior organization and he was speaking about seniors nationwide. So it seems that some Floridian seniors are doing better than the norm.

Thank you for helping show why people are still moving to Florida.
Of course I read the article. I wish the best for the seniors who tapped their retirement funds to open a business. I am sorry that things are so boring for them in Florida. However, a comment posted about this article gives a good synopsis of why people should think twice before retiring in Florida.

Quote:
However, the bigger story was actually in one of the "Fast Facts":

• Older Floridians’ per-capita income is 25 percent higher than residents ages 18 to 49.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Retirees around here are pulling down bigger monthly checks than the working class? Wow! If this is so, then consider for a second how the youngsters can maintain Pepe's beach-loving lifestyle if they're putting so little into the Social Security and pension pot.

Eventually storm clouds are going to gather on Pepe's horizon. First he'll see a cut in his monthly pension benefits, then his medical will only be covered 75%...50%...15%...

Obamanomics may "socialize" his medical care, but that will drive industry away. Already the small businesses Nadia identifies in this story will be shouldering the lion's share of the tax burden because the region has not adequately anchored its industrial base with high-paying jobs.

These seniors were obviously looking for "easy-type jobs" in retirement. I don't blame them! You've worked your whole lives, and you should be spinning down a bit so the youth can pick up the slack and build their collective wealth. The fact that you are still willing to contribute to society while Pepe is sunning himself like a beached whale is admirable.

What is troubling, however, is that these folks have opened support businesses in a region without anchor businesses.

The Treasure Coast business landscape is like a production of "The Wizard of Oz" with a million actors cast as munchkins and no one cast as Dorothy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida