Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 AM

552 posts, read 592,299 times

Advertisements

If you wanna really be around good, friendly people, check out the counties in Florida's heartland (as discussed on another thread) and the panhandle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,500 times
Anything here really seems to be better than MD... FL has really changed my life for the better, I am really glad I moved here...

Old 07-09-2009, 01:51 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,970 times
Default Why are Floridians bad drivers?

I'm originally from New Jersey, which they say have some of the worst drivers in the USA. Here in Spring Hill, Fl. I think that 3/4 of the population are driving on suspended licenses or revoked, due to other factors, such as DUI, violation of probation, speeding, not paying tickets.

This past Dec. as I sat at a traffic light minding my own business, I was hit from behind by a senior citizen (78) with a revoked license, she didn't realize she hit me, got pissed when I told her to pull over and get her car off the road, she was rambling on and on about her previous accidents (three in 6 months) and told me she has black-outs. This is what is on the road in Florida. She told the officer, just give me my tickets so I can go home and feed my dog. He wouldn't let her drive and had a hard time finding someone to come get this women. She paid her ticket $139.00 for careless driving and could have cared less, she refuses to stay off the road, I see her driving all over Spring Hill.......she will continue to drive no matter what, and its possible the next time she may kill someone or herself.

Drivers here do not use turn signals, have cars without back lights, they make U-turns where they're not suppose to, I watched 8 cars the other day at the intersection of Mariner Blvd and SHD, signs all over No U-turns and I watched 8 cars do exactly that. They just don't care, whatever is more convenient for them.

Welcome to Florida

Old 07-09-2009, 02:37 PM

552 posts, read 592,299 times
Spring Hill........ lol. I know a guy from Spring Hill - he's from Massachusetts and he hates it there. He said that everyone there is from NY! LOL! That explains it! :/

Old 07-09-2009, 05:30 PM

924 posts, read 2,603,500 times
Its funny I cannot believe how many people I have met from MD in just the short time I have been here in JAX... My girlfriend ran into 2 people she used to go to school with in MD, and there is a woman that lives under us that graduated with her Mom... We aren't even from the city in MD we are from a pretty rural area in Southern MD...

Do you guys think it is a connection because of PAX River NAS and JAX NAS or is it like that everywhere in FL?

Old 07-09-2009, 11:10 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,894 times
Lightbulb Go Figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I'm originally from New Jersey/New York area, and traveled to lots of places in America.
I currently live in Palm Beach, Florida since last year.

I've noticed that the drivers in Florida are bad. They very rarely use turn signals, drive much faster than speed limit, talk on cell phones, and don't pay attention on roads. Roads are excellent with plenty of street lights, many lines etc. I also think that the law should ban talking on cell phone while driving like most other states!
I'm not saying that New Jersey drivers are much better, but at least they use turn signals more often, and cell phone talking prohibited.

Why are Floridians bad drivers!?
First of all, come to Central/N. Florida so you can scratch off the "excellent" roads part straight off. The mojority of roads there outside of city centers stink and are full of potholes and need to be repaved. So I guess I'm speaking about the majority of rural roads which are the majority there. (The drivers are still the same!) Most of these county road budgets are focused on new roads to new developments to increase the tax base. Sounds rational, but problem is that they've been using this formula for the past 40 years and still can't maintain what they own.

Best analogy I can give you would be that EVERY package sold flying into NYC from all over the world was given a FREE rental car with their vacation package, who have NO CLUE where they're driving to!

This DOESN'T happen to NYC, but DOES happen to Florida. Think about your friends who live in Manhatten or Brooklyn who never drive, but get a car included with their flight to Florida for free! Now add UK (who drive on the "other" side), other Euros, S. America and Caribbean tourists too.

Now add to it your regular tourist families from the USA who drove here with their own local driving customs. Do you REALLY think tourists KNOW where they're going to? Now mix it with the existing locals.

Do you get the point?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,947 times
Quote:

I've noticed that the drivers in Florida are bad. They very rarely use turn signals, drive much faster than speed limit, talk on cell phones, and don't pay attention on roads. Roads are excellent with plenty of street lights, many lines etc. I also think that the law should ban talking on cell phone while driving like most other states!

Florida drivers are from everywhere else in the US only when they get down here they have vacation brain.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:02 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,721 times
I love to drive and recently took a road trip from Florida to Illinois (Chicago), and back down to Indiana, onto West Virginia and back to Florida. I covered a number of states. What impressed me most after I left Florida, were the drivers. All the trucks stayed in the right lanes, no one hugged the passing lane (that's the extreme left lane for those who don't know), using turn signals, and generally abiding to the rules of the road. It was refreshing and a really enjoyable drive.

I have lived down here for some years and just can not understand why it has to be so horrible to drive here. This is only state where I have experienced a driver flipping me the bird, because I was in the passing lane flashing my lights and they were in front of me going 50 MPH. No one seems to learn or even know that the passing lane is just that and not meant as a place to park.

I have driven the autobahn in Germany many, many times -- Florida drivers should try it out and see how long their bad habits last. :-)

Old 07-10-2009, 12:15 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
This is only state where I have experienced a driver flipping me the bird, because I was in the passing lane flashing my lights and they were in front of me going 50 MPH. No one seems to learn or even know that the passing lane is just that and not meant as a place to park.
Last week I was getting off the Turnpike, those making a right hand turn have a whole lane for getting off the expressway, so no traffic coming. The person in front of me was literally going 5 miles an hour on this turn, so I honked at them to get going we have our own lane. Then the passenger door opened (super dark limo tints on their car) a woman looked at me, then the driver a man opened the door and looked at me and flipped me off all while the car is still moving. For a second I thought they might pull a gun out or something. I just don't get people if they are in the wrong, why flip someone off. Some people obviously have anger issues, I really believe the heat/humidity has something to do with it (not totally but partially).

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-10-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 12:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
I'm originally from New Jersey/New York area, and traveled to lots of places in America.
I currently live in Palm Beach, Florida since last year.

I'm not saying that New Jersey drivers are much better, but at least they use turn signals more often, and cell phone talking prohibited.

old people...b/c they can't see well and shouldn't be driving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida