Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Is it just too hot to volunteer in FL? What'd you think?

"FL ranks 49th out of 50 in volunteer work."

"Orlando ranked 47th out of 51 major metropolitan areas, ahead of Las Vegas, New York and Miami." <--- BIG SUPRISE THERE!!!

Also noted in the story... "Still others factor in the transient nature of the population: People move to Florida from other states, and for many years, they consider those previous places 'home.'"

^^^And I think that's a part of the problem as well... maybe a little of the "what's in it for me? I'm not from here anyway" attitude.

Orlando ranks 47th of 51 large cities in volunteerism; Florida ranks 49th of 50 states plus D.C. -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/orl-bk-volunteer-072809,0,7850532.story - broken link)
It's the "me, me, me" mentality. South Florida in particular tends to attract a lot of pretty selfish people from all walks of life and from various places (including other parts of the US). People here aren't big on community spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 04:50 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
i dont put to much stock in studies i read about. actually if last place was in any town ive ever lived in, i wouldnt be surprised. the whats in it for meh attitude is just as alive in one part of the country as in another. many pple that do self-less acts of kindness in a community prefer not to join and officially be a volunteer somewhere. these pple are not counted in these types of studies, but thank heaven they are on this earth.

id be more interested to hear about pples experiences around the country. do neighbors help each other out anymore, will strangers still offer help in a crisis, or are pple just so involved in their own little world they hardly notice, except for an insincere..thats to bad. i think thats a truer indication of just how selfish any given location maybe. based on my own experiences, pple wont go out their way much unless they are getting compensated in some way. when i lost power due to an ice storm, no one in this rural hell hole i live in came near to ask if i was ok or lend a hand, and im a long ways from florida. good luck to us all.
Actually, I read the study that the article is based on, and it is, indeed based on informal situations, especially regarding neighbors. It also breaks down on what kind of volunteerism (e.g. education, religious).

Old 08-19-2009, 07:09 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
We discovered that with the church my wife used to go to. It seemed the more we did the less anyone else would do and they liked it that way. We became nothing but suckers both physically and financially. I guess I have reached the "Screw it" attitude myself when it comes to volunteering. If I want to help someone I will do it one on one and see a real result for my efforts. Everyone can help at least one person they many know, that is about all you can do.
I understand that you may have had a bad experience, however volunteering has nothing to do with your ego or self satisfaction or expectations. It is simply doing the work to the best of your ability and walking away. That requires you to be very humble. There will be a reward for you sometime in the future, but if you are looking for it for everything you do, you will be disappointed. I know this from experience. Do what is in your heart, and be ready to walk away when your job is done and feel good that you did your best job. The rest will take care of itself.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:15 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
So how many posters to this thread take out the time to volunteer?

I used to get nauseated in the midwest whenever people would brag about their volunteer work like it made them super special or something. I guess they never head of the saying, "Perform a random act of kindness and keep silent about it," or something like this. I run across nice people all the time here in Vero Beach, people who hold doors open, people who go out of their way to give directions or answer questions and our local hospital is full of seniors volunteering their time. Not everyone needs to don a uniform or a hat and rack up points for being nice.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:04 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
^^^ I do. In fact, I did all day.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:41 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Snowbirds volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
So how many posters to this thread take out the time to volunteer?

I used to get nauseated in the midwest whenever people would brag about their volunteer work like it made them super special or something. I guess they never head of the saying, "Perform a random act of kindness and keep silent about it," or something like this. I run across nice people all the time here in Vero Beach, people who hold doors open, people who go out of their way to give directions or answer questions and our local hospital is full of seniors volunteering their time. Not everyone needs to don a uniform or a hat and rack up points for being nice.
to tutor during the day when school is in session. They are screened and wear an ID when they come in. The kids LOVE these Seniors. I cannot tell you what a differende they make. They work one on one with a child and give specific help where needed. I know when they go back in the Spring the kids really miss them. They get attached to them and they to the kids. One man who came in (from Colorado) comes back year after year and the kids specifically look forward to seeing him. He always comments on how big they have grown and how much progress they have made from year to year.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:02 PM

376 posts, read 1,809,505 times
hmmm. I don't know where you are in Florida, but I seem to know a lot of people who volunteer. I volunteer at my church, a friend does some work for the historical society and the conservancy here in town, another friend does work at her church and a local thrift shop. I also know lots of snowbirds who volunteer when they are in residence. Is the real question about volunteering for outside work, like habitat for humanity for example, in the summer? It might just be too overwhelming in this heat for a lot of people....

NOTE: I just read that article -- glad to see that they are seeing an increase in people helping each other.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:11 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default That is what is nice about volunteering in the schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimenow View Post
hmmm. I don't know where you are in Florida, but I seem to know a lot of people who volunteer. I volunteer at my church, a friend does some work for the historical society and the conservancy here in town, another friend does work at her church and a local thrift shop. I also know lots of snowbirds who volunteer when they are in residence. Is the real question about volunteering for outside work, like habitat for humanity for example, in the summer? It might just be too overwhelming in this heat for a lot of people....

NOTE: I just read that article -- glad to see that they are seeing an increase in people helping each other.
they get to be in AC all day. One more story about a Senior volunteer. She hadn't been in school for a few weeks. The kids in class asked what happened to her. The teacher inquired and found out that she was in the hospital. One little girl in class suggested that they all make Get Well cards and send them to her in the hospital. That Friday afternoon, the kids gave up their "Fun Friday" (games, computer, etc.) to compose Get Well cards to Mrs. G. They all put their own special message on their cards. The teacher then put them in a big envelop and sent them to her in the hospital. Imagine how she must have felt receiving that?

Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
they get to be in AC all day. One more story about a Senior volunteer. She hadn't been in school for a few weeks. The kids in class asked what happened to her. The teacher inquired and found out that she was in the hospital. One little girl in class suggested that they all make Get Well cards and send them to her in the hospital. That Friday afternoon, the kids gave up their "Fun Friday" (games, computer, etc.) to compose Get Well cards to Mrs. G. They all put their own special message on their cards. The teacher then put them in a big envelop and sent them to her in the hospital. Imagine how she must have felt receiving that?
TAN, your stories about seniors/snowbirds doing wonderful volunteer work at your school are heart-warming. I think the kids, snowbirds, Florida...readers like me, would love to see you stay on in the Sunshine State to share more such wonderful stories which show that it's not all about "me-me" down there!

Will ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida