Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 04:22 PM

37 posts, read 84,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgilbert08 View Post
I have reservations for the week of AUGUST 7-14. Not sure if I should cancel or not...
If you're asking for advice,least from me. Right now,it isn't looking real good,what sort of cancelation rule do you have. They are basicly saying
it could hit Pensacola any time now.

TEXGAL33- friends at work are saying its a terrorist attrack,something to
do with a Russain sub attack,can't confirm that yet. So I don't wanna
start rumors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,216 times
Right now i am in pcb, their isn't any oil here now, but i took my last swim on the sugarland today, because of reports of the oil washing up as early as tommorow

Old 06-04-2010, 07:14 PM

50 posts, read 106,450 times
Going to PCB in July and I'm not going to bother letting this giant mess sway me away. I love PCB and even if I cant go to the beach, they still have the awesome mopeds, swimming pools, sun, and just a general good feel to everything about it. Not to mention, there will probably be some good deals no hotels this year. Sad but true.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,145 times
I was there last weekend and also have a friend who lives in PC...so far it is all good. Beautiful sunkissed beach with sparkling blue,green water. Praying it will hold its own.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:40 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittleblackandgraymonke View Post
Right now i am in pcb, their isn't any oil here now, but i took my last swim on the sugarland today, because of reports of the oil washing up as early as tommorow
I wouldn't swim there. Although the thick oil is the face of the oil spill. The dispersant and other parts of what were spilled may be present even if not visible. I wonder if they are doing water tests to determine if is even safe to be in the water. You don't want that crap in your ears and eyes. Oil not visible on the beach does not mean it is safe.

Last edited by mango23; 06-05-2010 at 09:34 AM..

Old 06-05-2010, 09:21 AM

FOLKS....
Some good news;If you guys want a "link" just let me know,I will get one. CNN is reporting the newly
placed cap is helping. Before,it was reported 12 to 19,000 barrells of oil were flowing into the gulf.
With the newly placed cap,@ 6000 barrells were captured in the first 24 hrs.
There are 4 vents on the cap that need to be closed.A few at a time to keep from water being traped
inside. But it seems,they might be making some headway,keep your fingers crossed.

BP says oil flowing from ruptured well to ship on Gulf surface - CNN.com

Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneman117 View Post
FOLKS....
Some good news;If you guys want a "link" just let me know,I will get one. CNN is reporting the newly
placed cap is helping. Before,it was reported 12 to 19,000 barrells of oil were flowing into the gulf.
With the newly placed cap,@ 6000 barrells were captured in the first 24 hrs.
There are 4 vents on the cap that need to be closed.A few at a time to keep from water being traped
inside. But it seems,they might be making some headway,keep your fingers crossed.

BP says oil flowing from ruptured well to ship on Gulf surface - CNN.com
We can only hope but I have little confidence. This thing has to work correctly for months. It seems to be all they can do to get it to work for a day. They also said when they cut the pipe it incresed the flow by 20%. You have to add the additional flow to what was being spilled before then subtract what is now being collected. In other words. A hell of a lot of oil is still escaping no matter what they do till this thing is killed completely. We have no idea what the future will bring and I take anything they say with a grain of salt.

You know even the wells they are drilling are a trial and error deal. Pickens said it is not an easy task and they could end up drilling 5 wells before they hit this thing right. I am not trying to be the voice of doom but these are the facts no matter what kind of positive spin they try to put on it. No matter when they actually get it killed it, the oil is still there and moving around. This is a disaster we can't yet get our minds around.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Default All Due respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
We can only hope but I have little confidence. This thing has to work correctly for months. It seems to be all they can do to get it to work for a day. They also said when they cut the pipe it incresed the flow by 20%. You have to add the additional flow to what was being spilled before then subtract what is now being collected. In other words. A hell of a lot of oil is still escaping no matter what they do till this thing is killed completely. We have no idea what the future will bring and I take anything they say with a grain of salt.

You know even the wells they are drilling are a trial and error deal. Pickens said it is not an easy task and they could end up drilling 5 wells before they hit this thing right. I am not trying to be the voice of doom but these are the facts no matter what kind of positive spin they try to put on it. No matter when they actually get it killed it, the oil is still there and moving around. This is a disaster we can't yet get our minds around.
I respectfully undertsand your thoughts and opinions...
but if 15K was coming out before anything was done at all.And you
are now getting 6K.That should mean that in the area of 9k should
be now coming out.Now,is that ok,SHOOT NO. Should that be
accectable,heck no.But we have to feel like some process is being
made.I am just as mad about this as alot of people.But we need to
try and be as positive as we can about the subject. But yes,you are
absolutely correct.Theres still alot of work to do.Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:13 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
I don't understand how it isn't really on the news here. The media is playing it out to be not a big deal. My daughter in NY said that it's all over the news, and they're showing the dead animals on the shore.

Maybe it's because the local media doesn't want to scare us? I think it's much worse than they are showing/telling locally.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneman117 View Post
I respectfully undertsand your thoughts and opinions...
but if 15K was coming out before anything was done at all.And you
are now getting 6K.That should mean that in the area of 9k should
be now coming out.Now,is that ok,SHOOT NO. Should that be
accectable,heck no.But we have to feel like some process is being
made.I am just as mad about this as alot of people.But we need to
try and be as positive as we can about the subject. But yes,you are
absolutely correct.Theres still alot of work to do.Thanks for the reply.
I understand you want to be positive, what else can we do but hope. The thing is we don't really know what was coming out before the cut. If it was around 15k and the cut added another 20% to that they increase it to around 18k and now they say they are collecting 6k a net gain of only 3k. Truth is, we don't know what the heck is going on. If you look at the live pictures it looks like the oil is coming out of a jet engine since they cut the pipe. These guys are really working in the dark with their fingers crossed. That make shift cap has to work correctly for months now till they can kill the well. I am of little faith, I don't think we have seen the worst yet. One oil expert said watching the progress of this thing was like watching "The Three Stooges" oil company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida