Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,547 times

Advertisements

Oil Plume Extending Toward Dry Tortugas - Science News - redOrbit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,283 times
i am in the same situation at this time i leave for Florida sat 6/19 and as far as i can tell i am still going .. i have already booked a non- refundable condo unless the oil is noticeable in the water or beaches are closed .. i have been looking for back up plans but we are not able to book a place without the refund so with all the hoping and praying that the beaches are clean and clear!

Old 06-14-2010, 01:32 PM

48 posts, read 121,512 times
Default Consider both health and proximity to oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylashay View Post
We have a vacation in Panama City at the end of July. It's so hard to get the right information about the beaches being so far away. I heard they are now advising not to get in the water?? Also, I know it will get hit with oil, but are they saying how much. I just don't know what to do! Should I cancel??
We spent a month at Perdido Key in Feb 2010 and it was very nice. However, I was diagnosed with emphysema June 8th so now I have to avoid "lung irritants".
So I would say to you if you are in good health with no respiratory problems and you can enjoy yourself away from the beach go there and make the most of it. My wife and I were thinking they would have the beaches cleaned by next winter and we could go for nice walks everyday. Now that I have emphysema and if the air is polluted we can't go.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 8,418 times
is panama city gonna get hit by oil because my family and i are going this sunday and it would be sad to see that the beach is closed

Old 06-16-2010, 09:18 AM

I hope so... but i mean even if the beach was closed then we can still get in the pool in our hotel and thats pretty big...

Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 AM

Smile I heard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
The ooze, heavy oil and gasoline combined with the dispersants, is encroaching on the wetlands in LA and I don't see how MS, AL and FL can completely escape unscathed. The boom doesn't seem to be stopping a lot of the oil--flows under and over the barrier. Increments of the slime would hopefully be more manageable than to wake up one morning to a deluge.

Fingers crossed.
i heard that people in salon and hair shops are saving all of their leftover hair that falls on the ground to sunck up the oil... im going to PCB in bout 3 days and i hope nothing will hit the beach!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Freezing View Post
We spent a month at Perdido Key in Feb 2010 and it was very nice. However, I was diagnosed with emphysema June 8th so now I have to avoid "lung irritants".
So I would say to you if you are in good health with no respiratory problems and you can enjoy yourself away from the beach go there and make the most of it. My wife and I were thinking they would have the beaches cleaned by next winter and we could go for nice walks everyday. Now that I have emphysema and if the air is polluted we can't go.
well that stinks sorry man...

Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,891 times
Oil reaches Okaloosa Islands beaches; assessment teams en route | okaloosa, villani, island - News - Northwest Florida Daily News (http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/okaloosa-30053-villani-island.html - broken link)

Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,814 times
Default oil tracker

ERMA

Old 06-21-2010, 02:31 PM

9 posts, read 29,325 times
Talking Are you kidding???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly617 View Post
I live in Panama City and our beach is just fine. Maybe the oil will bring some problems eventually but as of today don't mark our beaches off your destination map just yet. I took my 4 year old to our beach just a few days ago and the water is still gorgeous and the sand is still sparkling white.
Here's the scenario where I am (open sands behind funland on front beach rd) People in bright yellow BIOHAZARD outfits , not wanting to come in contact with the water, while you and your other have a beer and your 4 year old waves to the strange men in suits from 3 feet deep....nice Someone should call children and families..lol Anyway if people are in biohazard suits, and containers are washing up on shore...my guess would be to keep your butt out of the water.I am SURE this stuff is not safe to swim in,I feel bad for the fish and crabs and periwinkles which will disapppear for some time to come...Heck...they may as well turn PCB into one big year long spring break party..cause thats about all people will come here for now....surely not the over price and overtaxed food places.
Wake up people this is not the place to be this year!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida