Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times

Advertisements

I sure haven't felt trapped by the heat. In fact I have been loving it. Lost my job recently and in between job searching I have been spending the days outside whether working in the yard or lounging in my chair reading book after book. If I could move my tv outside I would sit out there and watch movies lol. This weather has been fantastic for me and is one of the main reasons why I will never leave Florida. Far as I'm concerned it could stay this way all year 'round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Move down here to the Fort Myers/Naples area if you like it hot... I'll go to N. Florida..... 7-10 degrees difference.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:37 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
I was over in Citrus County earlier in the week and it felt pretty comfortable in the evenings with a nice breeze. I'm sure that will change very soon but being near the coast makes the heat more tolerable even with the high humidity. I live in Orlando though, and here, its been brutally hot since mid April.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:10 AM

17 posts, read 77,165 times
North Florida can actually feel hotter in the middle of summer than South Florida does. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale get more rain, and seem breezier than Jacksonville. And Orlando is the worst of all major FL cities in the middle of summer. Land-locked...blazingly hot and humid with less breeze and no water to absorb the brunt of the heat.

I feel bad for that guy from Michigan. Not everyone gets to choose where they live based on weather.

I'm from Sarasota. But I've lived out of Florida for the past 2 years. I lived in Nashville for 9 months, and saw all of their seasons. Since Jan 09 I've lived in Pittsburgh.

Nashville feels like Orlando during the summer but with drought. Blazingly hot and humid, but rain is very rare...and the high temps actually are higher than most of Florida's during the peak of summer. It's close to the Great Plains after all.

I love Pittsburgh's climate. It'll be June in 2 days, and I have all my windows open and it's in the low to mid 70s in the house, with moderate humidity. I know I will get flamed for saying this by somebody, lol. But I personally will take the 3 months of super cold weather, for 3/4 a year of wonderful comfort. My favorite temp range is 30-70. I could easily live in the Pacific Northwest. I don't care for when it gets into the single digits and teens, but that isn't awfully common up here. Our average Jan temps are highs in the mid to upper 30s, with lows in the low 20s. I know to most Floridians that seems crazy freezing, but it's nothing compared to Upstate NY, Michigan, Illinois, and many other areas.

Even as a kid I despised the heat in Florida. And of course just leaving was not an option. I'm not insulting people who like the climate, to each their own. It's hard for me to imagine enjoying 90 degrees with a heat index of 110, but, different strokes for different folks. I always absolutely loved when the cold fronts would come into Sarasota and we would have lows in the 30s and highs in the 50s or 60s for a day or few. I remember most people not caring for it...saying they wished it never got below 70, or even 80! Amazing how different we all are. I am very skinny too, obviously a lot of very large people like colder weather. But in my case that is certainly not it...I am a male who is 5'9" 130lbs, and I love it chilly.

I giggle about how up here, people bemoan the extreme heat of 84 degrees with moderate humidity, hehe. Then they say they wish they could live in Florida!! LOL. Obviously if 84 is horribly hot to a person, Florida would eat them alive.

People complain about everything. The cold, the heat, etc...and I totally understand and don't get bothered by it, sometimes it feels good to vent.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
I can tell you I don't like it out there today. Worked on my truck, and lost about a gallon of water from my body, and I was only out there for an hour... I had to actually pull my shirt off because it was like I jumped in a pool.... Looking forward to December when it cools off down here again.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:45 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
^^^ Washed my truck today and my wife's. I was suprised how little I really sweat. I sweat some, but I remember in FL just being drenched, even in October or April. Almost June and it's still not what I consider "hot" yet in Asheville.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
The beach? Who goes to the beach?
I sure do. I love it, all summer long. I love to swim and I revel in the cool breeze. My dogs love it, too.

Having said that:
I don't know how Floridians lived here centuries ago without AC.
I have to admit I am grateful to have it.

The heat and humidity did hit me this weekend when I was out gardening, but then I remembered that freezing winter we had, inwardly shivered, and got back to work.

At the beginning of May, we spent a week in Colorado and New Mexico.
I spent more than half my life in Denver, but you would never know it--the aridity blasted my skin, and by the second day in New Mexico, I had a nosebleed. When we got back home to Florida, I drank in that moist air as if it were some sort of nectar of the gods.

The summer will slog on, we have to worry about hurricanes and storms, and it DOES bother me to have to keep the windows shut--I do love fresh air.

But that's the trade-off. I'll just keep going to the beach whenever I can.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Slog on, No fresh air, that pretty well describes it.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:36 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
I will be trapped from mid May till mid Oct.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I will be trapped from mid May till mid Oct.
Me too, ughh it is so hot an humid today. Went outside this morning and decided it was way to hot and humid to spend the day outdoors. Summer is here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida