Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 PM

28 posts, read 57,328 times

Advertisements

I am originally from CT and moved down to FL 7 months in 2007 for the Disney College Program. Before that I had always wanted to live in FL because I hate the cold and was sick of winter. After the College Program ended I kept going down to FL every once in a while to work at Disney and loved being down there. So I decided that after I graduated in 2009 I was going to move down to FL permanently, which I did in July, 2009. I worked at Disney while I looked for a job in the field I majored in in College and lived with some friends. While I was down there I eventually became frustrated with working with Disney feeling that management didn't really care about its Cast Members. I also wasn't able to find another job and was having trouble making ends meet. All of these issues made me so disillusioned with FL and the fact that I missed my family made me want to get out of there. Therefore after only a little over a year in FL I moved back to CT in October, 2010. I moved back home and thought that things would be better and all the stuff that I thought I was missing out on would be great to have back. Needless to say I am not happy being back in CT and realized why I left in the first place. I do like CT, but something about FL just feels like home to me and I feel like I never got to fully experience everything I wanted to because I was always surrounded by the tourist areas. I am hoping to move back to FL eventually, but it won't likely be for years. I still can't find a job in my major even back home after countless interviews and took a part time job at Target just to give me some money, which doesn't even cover my monthly college loan payments. Also my girlfriend, who is from NH, also moved up here to be closer to her family and as of this moment says she hasn't been away from FL long enough to want to move back right now. My hope is that after 5 yrs or so we will both have had steady jobs and have gained enough experience where we will possibly be able to find jobs in FL and find a nice area to live that is somewhere in the Greater Orlando area, but away from any touristy areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:42 PM

10 posts, read 18,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaC View Post
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought things might be better somewhere else, then discovered Florida is in my blood. I left in July of 2008 due to a job loss (company closed) and the fact that my boyfriend (now my husband) got a job here in TN. So, we tried to sell our house in FL, but couldn't-things happen for a reason. We were lucky enough to find a good tenant. Our intentions were to sell the house in FL and buy something cheaper here in TN. Believe it or not, I found a great job making more money than I ever did, which would have allowed us to buy something here even without selling the house in FL. However, nothing really made us say "wow". Put on 30 pounds-I hate the winter, and don't tell me this crap is "mild". I found the people are just as nasty as anywhere else, especially on the road. We can't wait to move back to the house we both love in FL!!!!
I'd been in FL since I was 10 years old. I thought it was time for a change, and maybe it was, just to teach me a lesson. We are hoping to get back home sometime in September, 2011. Some friends think I am absolutely crazy to give up the job I have here to go back to FL, but I am not happy in middle Tennesse and life is too short! Keep your fingers crossed!
I agree! I have learned my lesson for sure. Grew up in CT, moved to FL in 2007 because I couldn't stand the cold and also wanted something different away from the people I grew up with. Well I got there right in time for the economy to tank and couldn't find a great job. But otherwise loved the lifestyle - the beach, the pool, lots of restaurants, shopping, always something to do and new people to meet. But was offered a promising job this past year back in CT, so I took a chance and moved back in June 2010. I HATE it. Terrible weather, terrible taxes, nothing to do, nowhere to go. Oil bills through the roof..And real estate is more expensive (even rent) for older outdated properties. Which by the way, dont' come with a pool, fitness center, etc. like most rentals in Palm Beach area. I could go on and on. I am actively looking to return to Palm Beach County. And like PaulaC, I'm sure my friends and family will think I'm crazy, but life is too short!

And this time, once I get there I am not leaving!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:49 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larlac22 View Post
I agree! I have learned my lesson for sure. Grew up in CT, moved to FL in 2007 because I couldn't stand the cold and also wanted something different away from the people I grew up with. Well I got there right in time for the economy to tank and couldn't find a great job. But otherwise loved the lifestyle - the beach, the pool, lots of restaurants, shopping, always something to do and new people to meet. But was offered a promising job this past year back in CT, so I took a chance and moved back in June 2010. I HATE it. Terrible weather, terrible taxes, nothing to do, nowhere to go. Oil bills through the roof..And real estate is more expensive (even rent) for older outdated properties. Which by the way, dont' come with a pool, fitness center, etc. like most rentals in Palm Beach area. I could go on and on. I am actively looking to return to Palm Beach County. And like PaulaC, I'm sure my friends and family will think I'm crazy, but life is too short!

And this time, once I get there I am not leaving!

Same for us, should have stayed in Florida 20+ years ago.

We are shooting for March to be in Florida and we are not looking back.

I wish you well and hope you get to Fla soon.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Same for us, should have stayed in Florida 20+ years ago.

We are shooting for March to be in Florida and we are not looking back.

I wish you well and hope you get to Fla soon.
Whereas I cant wait to leave. To each their own. I hate the terribly tranient nature of FL where people cant even build community. Too many people on extended vacations but want the things residents have, crap jobs and lousy pay make for a poor living environment.

Come visit, but don't stay (Oregon had that right) or vacation long enough that you are taking opportunities away from residents when you aren't vested here to begin with.

That should be the theme and the residents should step up and do something about it rather than sit back and let all these transients ruin their lives. People who transplant to Oregon at least live like the natives or believe like them or have even before they moved there. Thats the type of person FL should welcome, anyone else should just stay put. Visit, but go home.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Whereas I cant wait to leave. To each their own. I hate the terribly tranient nature of FL where people cant even build community. Too many people on extended vacations but want the things residents have, crap jobs and lousy pay make for a poor living environment.

Come visit, but don't stay (Oregon had that right) or vacation long enough that you are taking opportunities away from residents when you aren't vested here to begin with.

That should be the theme and the residents should step up and do something about it rather than sit back and let all these transients ruin their lives. People who transplant to Oregon at least live like the natives or believe like them or have even before they moved there. Thats the type of person FL should welcome, anyone else should just stay put. Visit, but go home.
Lumping all people as transients and not welcome is flat out rude.

Florida will welcome us with open arms as we are not going to be move in move out transients like you describe.

No current resident has the right to tell a new resident how to live their life. You or anyone else does not own a state. This is America and people are free or move right?

I am not coming to visit, I have visited a million times and cannot wait to get to Florida and start enjoying the things we enjoy.

Step up and do something? What would they do, be un-American and stop people from having freedoms?

Floridas problems are not all people coming to the state from other states in America. To me it is the people coming from Cuba and Mexico that has created a different style of living and non caring attitude. (Your idea of transient non caring people and we have that problem all over America with the illegals and people from these countries)

Residents of any state have no right to more or better things then a newcomer. I am currently in Ohio and would not feel if someone from Indiana would move next door that I have more rights because I live here.

I know you are unhappy in Florida and hope you get out soon. But please stop attacking those who want to move to Florida, enjoy it, respect it and want to be a part of it.

I know many people who live in Florida and make very good wages. Guess it all comes down to the skills, education, talent and value to someone that earns the more money.

Maybe I should have stayed 20+ years ago to EARN a right to actually live in a state right?

And by the way, I would not live in Oregon if they gave me a million bucks a year to stay there.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Sunny-Days,

You know we are looking forward you joining the rest of us, I don't think you could have picked a better month to come out here.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Sunny-Days,

You know we are looking forward you joining the rest of us, I don't think you could have picked a better month to come out here.

Thank you.

Clock is ticking and the pit in my stomach tells me we are getting closer and closer to being back in Florida.

We are suppose to get a huge snow/ice storm here in Ohio tonight so of course we are stuck inside.

Looking forward to floating around in the pool and heading to the beach in March.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:18 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Thank you.

Clock is ticking and the pit in my stomach tells me we are getting closer and closer to being back in Florida.

We are suppose to get a huge snow/ice storm here in Ohio tonight so of course we are stuck inside.

Looking forward to floating around in the pool and heading to the beach in March.
I'm really itching to move back too these days...

It'll be my 4th attempt to move back since I left the first time in 2000.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 PM

191 posts, read 602,022 times
I have a story for ya...

In 2006 I moved to Tampa cuz my parents moved there before me. I visited there and I was sick of NJ so I moved. I stayed until 2007 then moved back north to NYC. I couldn't find a good paying job so I moved to West Palm Beach later that year cuz my parents moved there for a better job. Well... I get there and I couldn't find work for 7 months straight. Guess what? I moved back north to NJ again for a good job. I found out the company I worked for at the time had properties in Miami, Broward, and Palm Beach... So I got transferred back to FL again with my NJ salary. That eventually backfired and got laid off because I made too much. So I'm still here making chump change for another company and looking for a good opportunity which I found in Pittsburgh, PA. I can't wait till I get there, next month! Florida is good if u come down with $$ otherwise it's rough. Trust me..

Old 01-23-2011, 06:16 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
Thank you.

It's been a nasty week here as well. We had record snowfall, snow days on Thursday and Friday, it was -7 degrees yesterday when I wole up, and 17 degrees this morning. Florida sounds really good right now. We're looking forward to retiring and moving there full time. You'll probably get there before we do, but it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida