Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:41 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,179,423 times

Advertisements

I think Grits are disliked by many because their first taste was of unbuttered with not enough salt. I'll be the first to admit that plain lightly salted grits is pretty awful stuff. sort of like unsalted oatmeal with no sugar or milk. UGH!!

But while grits and polenta are close cousins, polenta is much more finely ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 02:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Depending on mood:

1) butter, salt and honey
2) butter, salt and black pepper
3) butter, salt and cayenne pepper sauce

Of course, in Chicago it's not easy to run across grits unless you wander into neighborhoods where pasty white guys like me aren't necessarily invited...

Old 08-11-2007, 09:11 AM

18,118 posts, read 11,752,834 times
Im surprised .. no one adds white sugar while cooking?

Old 08-11-2007, 09:35 AM

3,289 posts, read 9,185,850 times
Quote:
What's funny is that people in California don't even know what grits are!
No, but they DO know what polenta is and eat it...so what's the difference? A NAME?????

My all time favorite grits recipe:

Eggs in a Basket

2 ¼ cups water
1 tsp. salt
¾ cups grits

2 tbsp. butter or margarine
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 cup milk
½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
½ pound bulk sausage

4 eggs (do not use fake eggs and I make this without eggs at all).

Crumble and brown sausage, drain and set aside.

Bring salted water to boil in pot and add grits. Cover and reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 5 min, stirring occasionally.

Melt butter, stir in flour, black pepper, and milk. Cook stirring to thicken. Add cheese, stirring until melted.

To pot of grits, add sausage and ½ of cheese sauce. Pour into greased 8” baking dish. Make four indentations in mixture and break an egg into each one. Bake at 325° for 15-20 min until eggs are done. Serve with remaining heated sauce.

I always leave out the eggs since I am allergic to them. I also double the sauce recipe and add even more cheese. This sauce could be used over biscuits and eggs for those unable to get grits. This is an all time favorite of mine but can be time and pot/pan consuming.

Liz

Old 08-11-2007, 09:58 AM

965 posts, read 4,499,736 times
Default Like a hot cereal.

I eat grits like I do oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, Farina, etc., with butter, sugar, and milk. Cooking them now.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
No, but they DO know what polenta is and eat it...so what's the difference? A NAME?????
No, the texture and consistency is also very different. Grits tend to be more moist and creamy; polenta is thicker, drier and more crumbly. I'd like to see someone try to slice grits from a packed roll and grill or sautée the slices like you can with polenta.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:22 PM

3,289 posts, read 9,185,850 times
Quote:
I'd like to see someone try to slice grits from a packed roll and grill or sautée the slices like you can with polenta.
All you have to do is wait until the next day, I've done exactly that with grits. Liz

Old 08-12-2007, 08:39 PM

156 posts, read 150,768 times
We do that all of the time. Why would anyone think that you can't slice grits anyway? We have been doing it for years and so did my grandmother and other members of our family. And every one of us loves grits just about any way one fix them.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:04 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,179,423 times
Did you ever dip that slab of cold grits into well beaten egg, sprinkle it with flour or cracker crumbs or what suits your fancy and saute it in Butter?

I got to thinking about the problem that some of you have in finding grits in the stores. You don't want to get it from somewhere where sales are slow, it does get stale. If you are near an area that has Soul Food restaurants, I'm betting that there is a store in the same area that sells grits. Don't get more than a 1 or 2 pound package as a little bit goes a long way.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:40 PM

766 posts, read 529,029 times
I always add an egg right before I serve them , my Moma did it too, it gives it a better texture I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink