Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:49 AM

469 posts, read 1,155,906 times

Advertisements

I don't get the social interaction thing either. I'm a woman and have always hated small talk with people I know and even more so with people I don't know. Give me a self check out anytime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 08:20 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
I don't want the cashier for small talk, I want the professional cashier to ring up and bag my groceries quickly and efficiently. I do not enjoy the disembodied computer voice demanding that I place my item in the bagging area now. If you have a light item and toss it in the bag, it doesn't trip the scale so the voice demands again and again. It's not a time saver at all.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I don't want the cashier for small talk, I want the professional cashier to ring up and bag my groceries quickly and efficiently. I do not enjoy the disembodied computer voice demanding that I place my item in the bagging area now. If you have a light item and toss it in the bag, it doesn't trip the scale so the voice demands again and again. It's not a time saver at all.
Exactly. I don't care about the chit chat. Given the choice between two open lanes, one automated and one not. I'll choose the not automated if I have more than one or two things. By the time I can get the scanner to read my preferred shopper card, and I scan the item and put it in the bag I still need to wait for the scanner to determine if I'm "cheating" because the item in question doesn't weigh what the machine thinks it should. Then it calls the checkout monitor, who looks at what I have and just puts the key in and overrides the machine. More time. I can't scan the next item until it tells me to. With live clerks, they don't have to go through that so it's just faster. Thankfully, we don't have an automated voice. That would be a deal breaker for sure.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
In other words: some people like it, some don't. We still should have a choice...

Old 07-11-2011, 08:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I never go to the self-checkout. I can never get my stuff to scan easily AND I like the social interaction. I'm a chatter, what can I say?

My husband loves the self-checkout. I don't mind it when I'm with him. I go to the bagging area and laugh out loud when I hear the "voice" tell him, "Please remove your... BANANAS!" HA! Even writing it made me laugh.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:28 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,076,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
At the national big box store I worked at, this is not true. A transaction started when the first item was scanned and the transaction ended once payment went through. There was a system to rate your speed of check out based on how many items the customer bought and their method of payment. This is part of the reason cashiers at this store don't like when people write checks, it always brought down our transaction speeds. We were rated on speed and how many people we could sign up for the store card. That was all they cared about.
Same here. For a short period of time I worked at a national big box store and we were definitely monitored on our speed of checkout. If our speed slowed too much, then our supervisor made sure we knew about it - and quickly.

Whew! As for sitting at the register, unacceptable!!! If by some chance we didn't have any customers, then we were expected to get out there in the register aisles and "front" the stock, tidy up the areas, etc. No sitting and keep smiling!

As to the self-checkout lanes, I used to like them. But they caused so many delays...
I didn't bag the item quick enough
I didn't scan fast enough
I had to call the cashier to come tell the silly machine that I was over 18 when I wanted to buy some cough medicine

It's just easier to wait in line with the other folks and take my turn through the regular checkout registers.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:04 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
I like self checkouts so much I wish they existed everywhere! So much quicker and no interaction needed with anyone.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:10 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I like 'em, and honestly am puzzled by the posters saying checking out on them rarely goes by without a hitch. My experience is the opposite, the overwhelming majority of the times I just scan 'em and bag 'em no issues, way faster with a bank of 10 of those things instead of waiting in line at express aisle.

In fact after using 'em for a few years I'd say its faster than ever since I know the codes for all the common things like potatoes, yellow onions, green peppers, etc.
Yes.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
As for jobs, lots of people would be glad to accept lower food prices, whether it meant jobs or not. If that wasn't the case Wal-mart would have failed decades ago instead of gutting thousands of towns of better paying retail jobs. I wonder how many who cited jobs refuse to shop there or at other big box stores.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:16 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I will only use self-checkout if I have a handful of items. It's a rare event when I can scan everything without the machine giving me issues. I prefer regular lanes whenever possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink