Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:37 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I might take some heat for mentioning this but I've noticed (granted anecdotally) a correlation between age and ability to complete a self-scan transaction without drama/confusion. Be interesting to see an actual study on it.
There is likely a correlation between comfort with technology and successful use. Sometimes "I don't like.." means "I'm not comfortable with.." And unfortunately for them, some people embarrass easily over things that don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 05:21 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
WalMart has self-checkout.

We have a few Walmarts within a 30-40min drive from our house. Two of them HAD self-checkouts but fairly recently one decided that they were going to take them out.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:51 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
I might take some heat for mentioning this but I've noticed (granted anecdotally) a correlation between age and ability to complete a self-scan transaction without drama/confusion. Be interesting to see an actual study on it.
I'm not sure about that. I think it comes with experience. A young person who has not yet used the self-checkout line might might take a few minutes watching the person before them [if someone is there at the time] and then slowly going thru the process themselves. If no one is in front then they have to read the directions before proceeding. If either young or older has someone with them that has done it before, then they can go through the process with them. In any case it may take a few minutes. Hopefully their 1st experience is when the store is not busy.

I think the thing that slows people down is that these self-checkout procedures vary from store to store. If you're used to doing it one way because you shop at that store on a continual basis and then you visit another town and out of habit, you slid the card the way you usually do, come to find out that this place you have to maybe type something in before sliding the card, so now the machine is stuck and needs one of the store's attendants to assist.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:12 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I think the thing that slows people down is that these self-checkout procedures vary from store to store.
Not to mention the machine's admonition to "please place the item into the bag" when said item is in the damn bag already!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:31 AM

6,810 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I like the self-checkout lines at my store, especially for when I have only a few items. I can ring my items up much faster than most of the cashiers, so it saves time for me. I know how to use the machine so I never have the problems that some people experience, and I happen to know a lot of the produce codes from past experience in a grocery environment (even though they're easy to look up).

I don't use the self-checkout if I have a full grocery order, however.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 AM

274 posts, read 370,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not to mention the machine's admonition to "please place the item into the bag" when said item is in the damn bag already!
LOL, yeah, and I'm usually already walking away while it's still telling me to take my change and receipt.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
There is likely a correlation between comfort with technology and successful use. Sometimes "I don't like.." means "I'm not comfortable with.." And unfortunately for them, some people embarrass easily over things that don't matter.
you are right I am sure. Those of us who were not raised in the computer age have more trouble with things like self check-out. When we once learn a new tech we are fine, but it does take us longer. This goes for the cell phone, the home computer or work computer, check outs, any such thing.

Nita

Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That is my frustration or was, when we used self check out in NM. It wasn't always the user but the little voice instructing us.

Nita

Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
My name is Debsi, I'm 33, very comfortable with computers, cell phones, etc, and still hate the self-checkout with the heat of 1,000 suns and tend to end up needing the cashier for one reason or another.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:46 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
I use the auto scanners much of the time.

I'm pretty picky about my produce so I hate looking for unbruised fruit and then watching the bagger chuck it in the bag and then throw in canned goods on top of it....

Also I often shop at our commissary and the baggers there work for tips only. I'm "told" they expect $1 a bag or so - which adds up pretty quickly. And many of the baggers are working there for cash so they don't have to pay taxes, child support etc...

I think many store will be doing away with the self checkers though.... the last few times I went to our local store a checker was checking each persons purchases and coupons against each other. it seems with the "exterme couponing" shows - many people have began trying to cheat the machines... I had a $5 formula coupon I had gotten a online coupon site, when I waved it over the scanner, it rang it up and then I accidently wave it again while putting it in the slot and the machine didnt pick up that I only had one can of formula....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink