Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 PM

61,965 posts, read 87,594,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You still don't get it. Read the first sentence in your own link:

"A third or more of all the honey consumed in the U.S. is likely to have been smuggled in from China and may be tainted with illegal antibiotics and heavy metals."

The operative word there is MAY. Absolutely no evidence that it is tainted, despite intensive efforts to prove it. And not even a suggestion, in the entire article, that even one single container of the product sold in the USA is not genuine unadulterated bee-made honey that perfectly passes every test of consumer safety.

Your link clearly states "despite assurances from the Food and Drug Administration and other federal officials that the hundreds of millions of pounds reaching store shelves were authentic and safe." How much clearer does it have to be before you understand?

It is fear-mongering carried to the level of hysteria.

Well, here they said it WAS tainted.
FDA seizes honey from China tainted with potentially deadly antibiotic | OregonLive.com
Safety of Chinese Imports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,153,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That may be so, but that incident was not referenced in the OP nor any of the links associated with it. My objection was that there was NOTHING in the OP or the link that said, or even implied, that the quality of the actual honey that is actually on US shelves is less than pure, unadulterated, natural honey, and the title of the thread misrepresented the findings that are referenced.

Except for that seizure that you referred to, there is absolutely nothing sub-standard about imported honey, regardless of country of origin, and it is certainly a blatant lie to suggest that it does not deserve to be called honey.

What you have described hardly justifies its characterization as "Most honey sold in Us grocery stores."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
It's not fear mongering its the truth and a very valid concern that China is subverting our laws to lay off its honey.
No, it's not the truth. It's perfectly pure natural honey, and the only "valid concern" is that there is deception about its country of origin. The title of the thread says it is "not worthy of its name" and that is an outright lie.

There is a well organized ground swell in the US that is trying to stop the import of anything of Chinese origin, and their motive have absolutely nothing to do with consumer safety or product quality. Whether you jump on that bandwagon is your own business, but I call it as I see it. And I see no evidence that the stuff in the plastic bear is not genuine, safe, natural honey.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-11-2011 at 06:49 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Most of the honey sold in chain stores across the country doesn't meet international quality standards for the sweet stuff, according to a Food Safety News analysis released this week.

One of the nation's leading melissopalynologists analyzed more than 60 jugs, jars and plastic bears of honey in 10 states and the District of Columbia for pollen content, Food Safety News said. He found that pollen was frequently filtered out of products labeled "honey."

Most honey sold in U.S. grocery stores not worthy of its name – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs
And to think that is the honey most of us depend on cause otherwise it is so pricey. Even the store brands are out of sight.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:42 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,785,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, it's not the truth. It's perfectly pure natural honey, and the only "valid concern" is that there is deception about its country of origin. The title of the thread says it is "not worthy of its name" and that is an outright lie.

There is a well organized ground swell in the US that is trying to stop the import of anything of Chinese origin, and their motive have absolutely nothing to do with consumer safety or product quality. Whether you jump on that bandwagon is your own business, but I call it as I see it. And I see no evidence that the stuff in the plastic bear is not genuine, safe, natural honey.
You can continue to ignore all the warnings and truth presented, that is your right.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010...n-philadelphia

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/1...ey-isnt-honey/

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 11-11-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 AM

7,371 posts, read 16,046,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Most of the honey sold in chain stores across the country doesn't meet international quality standards for the sweet stuff, according to a Food Safety News analysis released this week.

One of the nation's leading melissopalynologists analyzed more than 60 jugs, jars and plastic bears of honey in 10 states and the District of Columbia for pollen content, Food Safety News said. He found that pollen was frequently filtered out of products labeled "honey."

Most honey sold in U.S. grocery stores not worthy of its name – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs
Honey, I'm in the wrong line of work. I should have been a melissopalynologist.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 PM

61,965 posts, read 87,594,180 times
What is really sad is the re-labeling procedure.

The Russian Honey Federation blew the whistle on the Chinese relabeling millions of pounds as coming from Russia.

After that scam became known, the felons then shipped Chinese honey to countries like Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia and even Australia. There the honey was repacked, authentic local documents were issued and the honey was shipped on to the U.S. or elsewhere.

What is smuggled Chinese honey doing in Salem? | Ecotrope

Honey isn't cheap. Consumers do not want to pay for:

Another favorite con among Chinese brokers was to mix sugar water, malt sweeteners, corn or rice syrup, jaggery, barley malt sweetener or other additives with a bit of actual honey. In recent years, many shippers have eliminated the honey completely and just use thickened, colored, natural or chemical sweeteners labeled as honey.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,213,619 times
They make the honey, we make the money.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Old 11-11-2011, 02:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,814,073 times
from the bee perspective, the chinese are heroes by making fake honey and sparing billions of bees from the dreaded bee smoker!

Old 11-13-2011, 11:54 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,608,290 times
Default Then where can u buy pure honey?.......

want to know.......mail order.......how do we know for sure?....

Old 11-13-2011, 06:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,427,703 times
Yet another reason to buy local honey at the Famers market, I don't think he is buying honey from China, and re-packaging it. I could be wrong...

I heard if you move to a new place and have allergies, eating local made honey is a great way to get rid of allergies to local plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink