Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 06:42 PM

48,171 posts, read 22,024,577 times

Advertisements

I am looking at Penzey's for on line shopping for xmas gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
There's a place called Vom Fass that opened up here in Madison last winter, and it's a lot like that, plus they have wines, liqueurs and single-malt whiskeys. I wholeheartedly agree that it would be easy to spend an entire day (and most of a paycheck!) in there. Best of all, they're just a couple of doors down from Penzey's, our favorite spice purveyor in all the world. We make the trip out to the west side to shop at those two stores at least a couple times a month.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:43 PM

48,171 posts, read 22,024,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Actually, whatever you're imagining is probably more interesting!

Now, you have to realize this was before phones in every dorm room. I was the best bartender on the 4th floor of St. Mary's Dorm at LeMoyne college that year, so I was invited to every party. At the time, I was dating a fella from back home who ended up being Hubster #1. He was home and I was at college and he was supposed to call me one night after he got off his 2nd job as a bartender. After several rum and cokes, I decided, in my infinite wisdom, that if I sat my butt in the phone booth on our floor, no one could use the phone and I wouldn't miss Mr. Wonderful's phone call. Well, naturally, I passed out. SOmewhere around 2:30 in the morning, the phone rang, waking me from my slumber (Sleeping Beauty I was not). It was the BF. I started talking to him, realized I was about to toss my cookies, asked him to hang on while I ran down the hall and did so in the ladies' room. After which, I returned to my phone call. I was ill for several days after that one, and deservedly so. I can't get rum past my nose to this day.

See? Not that exciting.
I can only conclude it is the association with the caller...or a reaction to t he phone booth....couldnt be the rum.

You poor dear.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:29 PM

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Ravioli and sausage from a local Italian specialty shop made for a tasty, easy dinner.

Thankfully, Hanna was no longer hard-hearted by the time she reached the NY metro area, lots of rain but not too much bluster. Thanks to all who sent along good thoughts, I hope folks on Long Island and points north fare well.

Right now I'm gonna sit back with a glass of wine and enjoy the sound of no rain falling.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:55 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,875,542 times
I had an eggplant pizza at a local Italian place... it was alright... should have gotten pasta... oh well, live and learn...then headed to an Irish Pub for some beer (and fries w/ curry)....

Old 09-06-2008, 09:31 PM

746 posts, read 2,177,433 times
A friend of mine told me this easy recipe for dinner.

Chicken with veggies and dumplings.

Cook up a large boneless skinless chicken breast in the bottom of a large pot. Cut up into chunks. (Or you could use leftover chicken)
Add in about 6 cups of chicken broth and some frozen mixed vegetables.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Use some Bisquick to mix up a batch of dumplings according to package directions.
Spoon dumplings on top of pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove cover and boil for 10 minutes.

The dumplings thicken the sauce and the kids love it!
I usually make homemade dumplings and I don't really measure the other ingredients.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,154,221 times
Welcome Geekduo Sounds good and easy! Add some crusty bread and butter and I am in!
I made antipasta salads (very HOT here) some sauted mushrooms with mozz chs and bread sticks. Tired. Maybe I will get to sleep in tomorrow ha ha yeah right!

Old 09-07-2008, 05:19 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,864,095 times
Good morning all.

Well my gravy made such a hit it's back for an encore performance before the rest being frozen. Pasta for hubby, meatball/pork for me w/salad.

CrazyW-I know-it drives a friend back in NJ crazy as he's a velveeta addict-but don't forget-out here it's a major staple for "hot dish".

Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,875,542 times
I am not planning on doing much... that stupid headache has creeped its way behind my brow... I am hoping if I just sit on my duff today it will leave me alone... if not I am going to bite the bullet and call the doc tomorrow... (waving white flag)... I am looking for easy chicken ideas right now... I might just chuck it into the crock and let it cook itself... I am only half thinking about it...something kid friendly of course... my oldest hates creamy stuff so that means no cream of whatever soup... she is so picky sometimes... my youngest will eat anything as long as I say "You've had this before... you love it...it's your favorite" Then she eats it... and as long as it isn't salmon I am pawning off as chiken it usually works

Old 09-07-2008, 05:47 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,275,259 times
Good morning, all.

Crazy, I have to know - what are crispy crowns?? Oh, and thanks to you and Lacey, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my crazy youth.

Nomad - shouldn't those deep fried Velveeta sandwiches belong in the "Bad for you recipes" thread???

Elston - that's a good one. Maybe I should have stayed away from that BF instead of the rum!

skbs, believe me, I feel your pain. I get strange "cluster" headaches that hit like a major ice pick to the brain. the pain only lasts for a second, but it's dibilitating and they hit anytime for various stretches of time. My head actually feels tender, like somebody hit me up 'side of the head with a 2x4. That's what I had yesterday. I feel better today, but have had a couple of twinges this morning. Let's hope that's all I get. Feel better, ok?

Oh, and I'm visiting the dr. on Tuesday for an unrelated problem, but I'll bring it up even tho I know there's not much they can do for it. Been thru all sorts of tests.

Oh, dinner??? Not sure yet - still trying to convince the hubster he needs to grill those ribs. If not, maybe some chicken.

Happy Sunday, all.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:49 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
A friend of mine told me this easy recipe for dinner.

Chicken with veggies and dumplings.

Cook up a large boneless skinless chicken breast in the bottom of a large pot. Cut up into chunks. (Or you could use leftover chicken)
Add in about 6 cups of chicken broth and some frozen mixed vegetables.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Use some Bisquick to mix up a batch of dumplings according to package directions.
Spoon dumplings on top of pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove cover and boil for 10 minutes.

The dumplings thicken the sauce and the kids love it!
I usually make homemade dumplings and I don't really measure the other ingredients.

Welcome, Geekduo. You can also use the same recipe, plop the dough on top of the hot chicken (I thicken the gravy first) goop, then pop it in the oven till the biscuits are brown on top. It's important that the gravy be hot when you do it or the biscuits won't cook properly. Definite yum factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink