Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 06:31 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times

Advertisements

kelsie thank you for sharing your story! Just tonight I told the kids we needed to collect up some excess canned goods to take to the women's shelter tomorrow. How cool to come here to read this then the pay it forward responses!

We ended up having the spaghetti good thing oldest swooped in for a 'to go' plate.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:32 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Question: I have a container of Ricotta cheese in the fridge that will expire next week. What can I make with it? (easy now)

Baked Ziti? Lasagna? Cannoli filling? Which would be good even without the Cannoli shells There's also an Italian 'Sweet Pie', usually baked around Easter using ricotta that's really good.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:34 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Make a pasta casserole. Layer your favorite sauce, gemelli or rigatoni, little meatballs, and a layer of ricotta mixed with some italian herbs and some parmesan cheese. Put some mozzarella on top.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
OMG burdell and gentlearts. I don't even know what half the stuff you suggested is!

Anything easier? Maybe like a sandwich or something?

It's only a small quart sized container. Doesn't look like enough for anything much.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:25 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
OMG burdell and gentlearts. I don't even know what half the stuff you suggested is!

Anything easier? Maybe like a sandwich or something?

It's only a small quart sized container. Doesn't look like enough for anything much.

Just for giggles I 'Googled' "ricotta recipes".

All kindsa hits, I'm sure you can find something, at quick glance I saw one about mixing the ricotta in with scrambled eggs, with some herbs it sounds yummy.

If you're a cheesecake fan there's some recipes using ricotta. Or you could toss it with olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and some herbs for a simple pasta dish.

Personally, I like cannoli filling, it'd probably taste good wrapped in cardboard

Old 11-21-2008, 07:32 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Well, we just got done getting the birthday girl to bed.... it was an eventful evening and everyone is wiped out. I think it was the fun filled bear building as much as the burgers, fries, and sugar filled frosting on that cake tonight! Now we are being attacked by serious snowfall and I just checked weather.com and the snowfall forcast is saying anywhere from 6-12" in the next 24 hours.... ugh.... today we had moments of blowing snow and bitter cold that were such a pain in the rump you would have thought we were blown right into January! Insanity I tell ya..... Makes me want another burger just to keep my bones warm! And I ain't kiddin' either! Well, goodnight everyone.... it is a busy weekend of birthday activities in the S House.... don't know how much I will be on here.... have a great weekend and Keep warm all you snow bunnies out there.... and all you folks living it up in the sun, drinking fruity Mai Tai's from tan men named Juan.... take a few extra sips and sit an extra ten minutes in the sunshine for me..... catch up with you all later.......

Old 11-21-2008, 07:34 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Have a great weekend skbs. I'm sitting here with my bottomless glass of green tea.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,531 times
I had a taco salad and hub had some sort of stuffed buritto. I think the guac was past so I had to scoop it off owell less calories there. I am not a big an of sour cream so I had there home maid salsa. I like taco salad so it was a win win even though the guac was icky.
Kelsie bless your heart! Thank you for sharing that special moment with us all. I could not rep you

Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Amber- Wow 42 people. You go girl. I am doing a big turkey with all the fixins for the two of us and we get "all" the left overs. Yummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews1965 View Post
It's C..o..o..l..d here in VA so homemade veggie soup and grilled cheese!! Yum
Welcome. Sounds like a great plan on a cold night. I've always wanted to visit Smith Mtn. Lake. I wish they had bigger campgrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Well dinner is easy tonight. Wife is getting a chicken, some carrot salad to go along with some cukes for dinner. No cooking involved. We both have had a bad day so having a Publix on her way home is a very good thing.
Oh, I so miss Publix. They have the best BOGO free sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebette View Post
Lisa, the crockpot ribs were yummy! Yes, I did use boneless ribs and they were so tender after an afternoon in the crockpot!! The recipe I used for the 'Applebees BBQ Sauce' is:
Bebette- Thank you so much. I'm glad it turned out so good. It's amazing how individual ingredients might not sound so good but in combination they taste great.

Quote:
Question: I have a container of Ricotta cheese in the fridge that will expire next week. What can I make with it? (easy now)
Cheesecake would be my first choice. Or make a batch of pasta, mix in the ricotta, mix in some tomato or meat sauce of your choice, throw mozz cheese on top and bake until melted.

Kelsie- What an absolutely wonderful story.

My hubby had left over pot roast from the freezer tonight. It must have been good because he ate it all, lol. I had a salad with refried beans, sour cream, salsa, and cheddar cheese. I'm trying to eat a little less before Turkey Day. That day I need to get out the sweat pants.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:58 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Oh, I so miss Publix. They have the best BOGO free sales.
Ah, this week it was BOGO for chocolate syrup, real vanilla, devils food cake mixes, & brownie mixes. I will be a dessert before much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink