Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 08:28 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,865 times

Advertisements

Morning all! Hope you are all about to have a great Friday and a fine weekend

Happy Birthday to Kshegirl !!!

Last night's meal at the movie house was good, a salad of grilled chicken with wing sauce and blue cheese crumbles, quite healthy! Went down very nicely with Brad Pitt on-screen and a glass of wine

No plans for dinner tonight yet, maybe baked potatoes with chilli....

Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 AM

48,151 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Elston, it could very well be the same fish that they used for mock scallops. Even though the skate is bony, there are very meaty pieces around those bones. Large enough to cut mock scallops. In fact, skate tastes very very much like scallops!!! It is just delicious...and far cheaper than sea scallops. I believe I paid $2.89/lb for mine.

My Dad used to tell me that unscrupulous fish mongers used to cut their "scallops" from skate and pass it off as the genuine article.....he said sometimes you would find a skate's wing with rows of scallop sized holes cut from it...where fishermen discarded the remains after cleaning their catch.....

I think Monk Fish taste very close to lobster and in a newburg type sauce would be pretty tnear indistinguishable.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:40 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Yes elston I have heard the very same stories. The Monk fish is much like lobster---so good! I can see where they could make a person believe they were eating lobster. It has been called "poor-mans-lobster". My DH questions scallops all the time!!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:45 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,193,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Am getting estimates today....for interior painting for the LR, DR, family room, kitchen and an upstairs hallway. It is a lot of fun to consider and choose colors.
I'm so jealous! Have fun, and let us know what colors you choose.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Yes elston I have heard the very same stories. The Monk fish is much like lobster---so good! I can see where they could make a person believe they were eating lobster. It has been called "poor-mans-lobster". My DH questions scallops all the time!!
I've just been researching fish as there are so many species that are overfished and that we shouldn't buy - but it's hard to know which ís which!

I found this at last United States — MSC (http://www.msc.org/where-to-buy/find-a-supplier/united-states#w - broken link) but haven't gone through it in detail yet.

I guess if you bought scallops etc from a certified supplier they should be the real thing... ? or get them with the coral still attached - that way you know they are fresh and real!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:54 AM

48,151 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Morning all! Hope you are all about to have a great Friday and a fine weekend

Happy Birthday to Kshegirl !!!

Last night's meal at the movie house was good, a salad of grilled chicken with wing sauce and blue cheese crumbles, quite healthy! Went down very nicely with Brad Pitt on-screen and a glass of wine

No plans for dinner tonight yet, maybe baked potatoes with chilli....
I usually serve chili over spaghetti....(its a Cincinnati thing) but it sounds great over baked potato....maybe with some shredded cheddah or American cheese on top or even sour cream and chives....sounds great!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I usually serve chili over spaghetti....(its a Cincinnati thing) but it sounds great over baked potato....maybe with some shredded cheddah or American cheese on top or even sour cream and chives....sounds great!
I have sour cream, guacamole and cheese in the fridge - maybe we should have all three!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:59 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
I'd go for a chili burrito then!!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
I want to thank everyone for the wonderful birthday wishes, y'all make me feel sooooo loved!
I am going to pamper myself today, going to a chic salon for mani and pedi, then to a really cool restaurant later, they have tapas and such, then off to a jazz club after that for drinks and dancing......havent had any fun in a loooong time, so I am gonna kick up my heels!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:15 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,389,642 times
No cooking today! Yippie. My mind is blank and I don't have any good ideas lately.

DH will have friends over for a card evening. So the boys will have pizza.
I'm going out with friends I met at the classes I took last year. We're going to this Indian restaurant where I have not been to yet. I'm so excited, hope I'll like it.

Anyhoo, I just prepared tomorrow's dessert. Hmmm, it's curd/quark, Italian mascarpone cream and whipped cream mixed with lemon juice and some sugar. Then I cooked pudding but not with milk but with cherry juice and mixed a glass of cherries into the pudding.
Then it's put into a glass bowl like a lasagne. I took dark biscuit (it's called like that over here, it's a very soft/light base you can use for tartes), poured a spoon of coffee over it, then came a layer of cherries, then the cream and so on. It's in the fridge now and I hope DH's friends coming over for a card evening won't find it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink