Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 02:48 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I too am looking forward to planting some herbs and veggies. My hubby built me a raised bed in the backyard (gonna try the square foot gardening thing). Last year I threw some herbs in the front yard along with my flowers. They are doing well but I have discovered that the neighbor kids have been coming over and picking them. Lost almost all my chives. Drives me nuts. This morning I found rose petals scattered all over my front yard. I told my sons to tell their little friends to stop picking my flowers. Argh!!! So I am going to put some new plants in the back and hopefully stop the little thieves in their tracks.
Ooh, please keep us posted on this! I have thought about doing it myself, but the problem is the only spot I get enough sun (I have large trees) is not really a place I want to dig out the grass, so I've been wavering. Also my husband doesn't like to build me stuff.

Theoretically we're putting in a small patio this year...

Way to go, Cyn! Have fun at the wedding, I've been to Yorba Linda several times.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:02 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCoastalGuy View Post
cyn: Congratulations on passing your NC Drivers License test..now y'all are really one if us.

What's for dinner tonight? Well, I am treating RCLady to a fish and chip dinner on one of the restaurants on the boardwalk along the ocean inlet in downtown Wilmington. Sitting in the sun on the sand and listening to the surf sorta wears you out. Then we'll have a cone of home made ice cream and a cup of coffee at the local yuppie coffee shoppe owned by a Chicago transplant.

Looks like you are the food lifesaver Lacey
You are quite a guy---with quite a wife! Now that sounds like a wonderful day/evening. Please enjoy yourself! Tell the Mrs. I said "Hi".

Old 04-04-2008, 03:04 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Ooh, please keep us posted on this! I have thought about doing it myself, but the problem is the only spot I get enough sun (I have large trees) is not really a place I want to dig out the grass, so I've been wavering. Also my husband doesn't like to build me stuff.

Theoretically we're putting in a small patio this year...

Way to go, Cyn! Have fun at the wedding, I've been to Yorba Linda several times.
You can always start small. The box he built for me is only 2foot wide by 10 foot long. In looking at sites online, some of the boxes they showed were only 4 x 4 feet. Some starter ones were really small. I will keep you all posted. I planted some lettuce, spinich seeds last night and some garlic. Hopefully this weekend or next week I will be able to go and get more seeds and plants. I can't wait.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM

149 posts, read 515,767 times
kids and I are having chicken quesadillas- hubby is having chicken stirfry and rice...lol

Old 04-04-2008, 03:51 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Welcome Musicalzoo-love quesadillas.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:57 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
This was a keeper Lacey!! Yum!! Hubbie siad I cooked it a bit long and it got dried a bit--but I thought it was perfect!! Probably could have used thicker chops and it would have been more what he'd like but he did say the flavor was good. Not a drop left on either plate so it had to be good!! Thank you ever so much. I'm getting so brave now---well better then I ever have. And all because of all of you. THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:22 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,315 times
Well I made my beans tonight but they were a little bland. What I did was soaked em overnight, drained and rinsed then boiled with garlic for about three hours. To make refried, I put oil in the pan and mashed them with chile powder and cumin. I think next time I will saute some minced onion and hot peppers along with the other spices. Pretty good once we added onion and enchilada sauce to the burritos. I will have to experiment further.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:52 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
We've all learned by experimenting-try it, improve it to your taste.

I think you did "good". Hugs to all and goodnight.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,544,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Thanks everyone for the good wishes---I passed my DMV test 100% and now own my new NC driving license! Yes! It's official now--I live in NC!! Only took me a year to do it! My son is getting married in Yorba Linds CA. Hey RuralCoastalGuy...we would love for you and the Mrs to share some great dinner ideas with us. I already know she is a great cook and will watch for those tempting ideas and recipes! Thanks. Tonight is Pork Chops---not sure how I'm going to prepare them but definitely Pork Chops. I'm thinking braised potatoes and corn with biscuits on the side.
Congradulations!! Lacey's recipie for chops sound so good!

Old 04-05-2008, 05:55 AM

601 posts, read 1,904,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I too am looking forward to planting some herbs and veggies. My hubby built me a raised bed in the backyard (gonna try the square foot gardening thing). Last year I threw some herbs in the front yard along with my flowers. They are doing well but I have discovered that the neighbor kids have been coming over and picking them. Lost almost all my chives. Drives me nuts. This morning I found rose petals scattered all over my front yard. I told my sons to tell their little friends to stop picking my flowers. Argh!!! So I am going to put some new plants in the back and hopefully stop the little thieves in their tracks.

Our garden is 8x16 ...we had to line the bottom with plastic because the
soil here is basically white sand and all the garden soil seems to disappear
down into the sand.(learned by trial & error.)Planted romaine and butter
crunch lettuce in early march , also spinach, onions and beets(we love the greens). once the lettuce is done I'll do tomatoes and green beans.

Cooking biscuits and sausage gravy this morning . will chk in later with
dinner. Showing our house at 11am. Wish us luck!!! I so want to get out
of here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink