Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 07:35 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,651,433 times

Advertisements

I am making homemade chicken soup. the weather is gloomy here today and I have my mom recuperating from her hip surgery and staying with us. she wanted soup, so soup it is! chicken legs&thighs, with shredded carrots, onions, celery, canned tomatoes and chicken broth. simmer all day in crock pot, cook noodles, enjoy!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:38 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,947,287 times
If my BF gets home from work early enough to put a chicken carcass on the stove to make stock, we might have some chicken noodle soup. If not, we'll save that for tomorrow.

As a back up, I am thinking baked ravioli. It is a great alternative to lasagna (faster) and very easy to do. Serve with salad and garlic bread, of course

Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
That's what I'm talking about---how creative! I could never do that. Just pull whatever out of the fridge, cook it up and have a wonderful, yummy dinner. That amazes me. That's the natural ability I'm talking about that so many of you have. I think I will always have to have a recipe written in front of me to cook. At least now I can get some tried and true recipes right here from people I trust!!
Cyn you are not alone. I always will have to have a recipe too. I also want to know if someone has made it and if it tasted good before I will even attempt to try it. Us recipe lovers will have to start a support group. LOL

Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Hey all---I came across some good kitchen tips for you!

1. BREAD: Sesame seeds and Poppy seeds are the only officially acceptable "spots" that should be seen on the surface of any loaf of bread. Fuzzy and hairy looking white or green growth areas are good indications that your bread has turned into a pharmaceutical laboratory experiment.

2. CANNED GOODS: Any canned goods that have become the size or shape of a softball should be disposed of. Carefully.

3. CARROTS: A carrot that you can tie a clove hitch in is not fresh.

4. CEREAL: It is generally a good rule of thumb that cereal should be discarded when it is two years or longer beyond the expiration date.

5. CHIP DIP: If you can take it out of its container and bounce it on the floor, it has gone bad.

6. DAIRY PRODUCTS: Milk is spoiled when it starts to look like yogurt. Yogurt is spoiled when it starts to look like cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is spoiled when it starts to look like regular cheese. Regular cheese is nothing but spoiled milk anyway and can't get any more spoiled than it is already. Cheddar cheese is spoiled when you think it is bleu cheese but you realize you've never purchased that kind.

7. EGGS: When something starts pecking its way out of the shell, the egg is probably past its prime.

8. EMPTY CONTAINERS: Putting empty containers back into the refrigerator is an old trick, but it only works if you live with someone or have a maid.

9. EXPIRATION DATES: This is NOT a marketing ploy to encourage you to throw away perfectly good food so that you'll spend more on groceries. Perhaps you'd benefit by having a calendar in your kitchen.

10. FLOUR: Flour is spoiled when it wiggles.

11. FROZEN FOODS: Frozen foods that have become an integral part of the defrosting problem in your freezer compartment will probably be spoiled (or wrecked anyway) by the time you pry them out with a kitchen knife.

12. GAG TEST: Anything that makes you gag is spoiled (except for leftovers from what you cooked for yourself last night).

13. LETTUCE: Iceberg lettuce is spoiled when you can't get it off the bottom of the vegetable crisper without sandpaper. Romaine lettuce is spoiled when it turns liquid.

14. MAYONNAISE: If it makes you violently ill after you eat it, the mayonnaise is spoiled.

15. MEAT: If opening the refrigerator door causes all stray animals within a three-block radius to congregate outside your house, the meat is spoiled.

16. POTATOES: Fresh potatoes do not have roots, branches, or dense, leafy undergrowth.

17. RAISINS: Raisins should not be harder than your teeth.

18. SALT: It never spoils.

19. UNMARKED ITEMS: You know it is well beyond prime when you're tempted to discard the Tupperware along with the food. Generally speaking, Tupperware containers should not burp when you open them.

20. GENERAL RULE OF THUMB: Most food cannot be kept longer than the average life span of a hamster. Keep a hamster in or near your refrigerator to gauge this.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:04 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
That's is so funny!!!! Thanks Cyn.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,165,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd encourage you to try. Ya gotta love pasta, easy to keep on hand, quick to cook, and goes with so many things. I just look at what's on hand that I like and wing it. Onions and garlic are standards of flavor; white wine, chicken stock, extra virgin olive oil, pasta cooking water, cream, and butter can all be used in developing a sauce and there aren't too many veggies or meats you can't somehow make tasty with pasta. Now if I could only learn to like cleaning up...................................
There's a special pasta cooking water???

Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
There's a special pasta cooking water???
What she means is (i think) before you dump out your cooked pasta you should scoop out some of the cooking water and add it to your sauce. From what I have seen on cooking shows is that some of the starch and flavor of the pasta goes into the cooking water and it will add flavor I guess to your sauce.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 AM

That's funny Cyn!

Have to go stock up on Salt! It's about the only safe thing I have.

Throwing out the tupperware with contents..... I remember that. :-)

Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
My hubbie just sent this to me---think he's trying to tell me something?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
What she means is (i think) before you dump out your cooked pasta you should scoop out some of the cooking water and add it to your sauce. From what I have seen on cooking shows is that some of the starch and flavor of the pasta goes into the cooking water and it will add flavor I guess to your sauce.
OHHHHHHHH. hummmm. But doesn't it also add the starch you got rid of by boiling?

It's like rinsing white rice. Some people think you shouldn't rinse it because it is "enriched" and you'll throw out all those good ingredients. I think it's full of starch I don't need. Have you seen what the water looks like when you rinse white rice? Unfortunately, we can't live without white rice (cubans).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink