Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 03:24 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times

Advertisements

Congrats, Elston! I'm sure she'll remember those days fondly.

I dragged DH out for lunch, just to get out of the house after Fay. We were really bad. I'm sure you can hear my arteries clogging up from wherever you are. We did the 49 cent McD's burgers, then went to DQ for peanut buster parfaits. I think dinner will be whatever you feel like grabbing out of the fridge.

Last night, I made my first quiche and, I must pat myself on the back. It turned out quite good, despite a little issue with the crust. Mom called while I was putting it into the pie plate and I tried to do it one handed. Well, it didn't quite stick to the side and when I pre=baked it, it slid down a bit. I took it out and re-stuck it, so it turned out a bit lopsided, but still good.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:25 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
She was very good and very easy to care for; I don't think I had to say "no" once all day; after we came back from the school tennis courts where she and DP practiced and from having lunch....she asked if there was a place she could play quietly...and then spent the next hour or more playing legos and singing and talking to herself. Then we did a puzzel and then her daddy came for her. It wasnt that she kept me so busy.....it was that I was aware of her....every single minute.....I truly was "watching and minding" her. Responsibility. That made me tired. She will be back tomorrow morning .

Supper tonight chicken fingers and rice and sliced tomatoes.
see NMS quiche isn't hard to mke I bet it was delicious.

Oh i take it back.....when she asked me to carry her tennis balls back to the car cuz she had the racket and I only had the water bottle..... I told her Nope, you have to carry it yourself. I am 68 and she is 7.....I think she can do it.

Last edited by elston; 08-20-2008 at 04:29 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 03:27 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times
Just don't overcook that ??? it gets tough after a while!

Old 08-20-2008, 03:37 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,545,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
She was very good and very easy to care for; I don't think I had to say "no" once all day; after we came back from the school tennis courts where she and DP practiced and from having lunch....she asked if there was a place she could play quietly...and then spent the next hour or more playing legos and singing and talking to herself. Then we did a puzzel and then her daddy came for her. It wasnt that she kept me so busy.....it was that I was aware of her....every single minute.....I truly was "watching and minding" her. Responsibility. That made me tired. She will be back tomorrow morning .

Supper tonight....???????????????? and rice. lol
Sounds like you both had a great time! I'm sure she will remember these times spent with her grandfather...

Old 08-20-2008, 03:41 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
I do think that is the exhausting part-the watching and responsibility. After all they are not ours. Ours have never been naughty or bad when w/us-just wonderful.

Rest up and enjoy tomorrow.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:42 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,843 times
Easy dinner, leftovers tonight pasta fagoli and eggplant rollatini and a nice fresh salad. Have a great night everyone. kelsie

Old 08-20-2008, 05:14 PM

14 posts, read 21,800 times
elston- hi -I have tons of zuchini in my garden and I don't know how to make zuchini bread - please post the recipe.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:34 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
And as parents we are always so GRATEFUL to you grandparents for doing it! My parents took my kids on a vacation in July... they said they were PERFECT for the four days they were out of town .. until the last two hours of the car ride home I guess one wanted to be Hannah Montana and the other wasn't letting her be Hannah so the fighting began... and continued until they pulled into the driveway... I have never seen my father get those kids in my house so fast! LOL What is funny is I tried to send them on the trip with thier baskets of stuff to keep them occupied (I find very helpful on LONG car trips). I think my dad forgot what it was like to drive that long with a 5 and 4 year old... he rolled his eyes and sent me home with about 3/4 of the stuff I had packed telling me they didn't need it...that they would be fine w/o it... I bet he was wishing he had the activity baskets fully stocked two hours from my house....

Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,677,349 times
Left overs........

Old 08-20-2008, 05:42 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
I would be glad to "Olive" This is a recipe I got from a cookbook put out by a Jewish Temple in Laconia NH (B'nai Isreal) as a fund raiser...the recipe is not traditionally jewish. It is really delicious.

Zucchini Bread

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup walnuts
1 cup raisins

Prepare pans. Pre-heat oven.
Beat eggs; add sugar and mix; Add oil and vanilla and mix well; mix dry ingredients and add alternately with zucchini. Mix in nuts and raisins. Stir well. Put in two 9x5x2 inch loaf pans (I didnt have two so I used a bundt pan and loved the way it came out) Bake at 350 degrees for 55 mins. (tooth pick test) Cool for 10 mins. Remove from pan. Cool before cutting.

It is really wonderful. I like it as well or better than pumpkin bread. It also freezes well. (or so I am told by C-D's much beloved, msina )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink