Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 08:23 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
OHHHHHHHH. hummmm. But doesn't it also add the starch you got rid of by boiling?

It's like rinsing white rice. Some people think you shouldn't rinse it because it is "enriched" and you'll throw out all those good ingredients. I think it's full of starch I don't need. Have you seen what the water looks like when you rinse white rice? Unfortunately, we can't live without white rice (cubans).
Well you are only putting in a spoonful or so into a huge pan of sauce so all starch would be spread out among a bunch of servings I guess.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:25 AM

Hate to say it Cyn, but that sounds like my refridgerator before our monthly grocery run. LOL. Ick now I have to go clean it today.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
You're adding very little starch from the pasta water. Pasta should be cooked al-dente and finished in the sauce w/a little cooking water.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 AM

68,331 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
What she means is (i think) before you dump out your cooked pasta you should scoop out some of the cooking water and add it to your sauce. From what I have seen on cooking shows is that some of the starch and flavor of the pasta goes into the cooking water and it will add flavor I guess to your sauce.

Actually what he means, eating is a nasty habit I've had my entire life, cooking was a natural progression.

But true, I usually throw a bay leaf plus salt in the water and it will not only add flavor but helps in adding a liitle "body" to a sauce if it's light and stock and/or wine based.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 AM

68,331 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
20. GENERAL RULE OF THUMB: Most food cannot be kept longer than the average life span of a hamster. Keep a hamster in or near your refrigerator to gauge this.

I love the whole list, I guess this one could be described as the cook's version of a canary in a coal mine

Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Lasey is right---putting the sauce in the pasta (al-dente) to finish cooking makes the pasta absorb the sauce. I learned years ago from some cooking show that when you make spagetti you should cook it to the al-dente stage and when you drain the pasta save a little of the water it's cooked in. When you put the pasta back in the pan after draining it add the remaining tablespoons full of water left over from the pasta cooking, only add a 1/4 cup or so of the sauce and cook it a few minutes on med-med high to help the spagetti to absorb the sauce. Then pour the remaining sauce over the pasta as you serve it. It really makes a big difference. The whole idea of the sauce is not to drown out the pasta but to flavor it!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Actually what he means, eating is a nasty habit I've had my entire life, cooking was a natural progression.

But true, I usually throw a bay leaf plus salt in the water and it will not only add flavor but helps in adding a liitle "body" to a sauce if it's light and stock and/or wine based.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it
Oops sorry I meant he. LOL. I never thought of sticking a bay leaf in. I am making spaghetti tonight and I will have to try that.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,165,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Well you are only putting in a spoonful or so into a huge pan of sauce so all starch would be spread out among a bunch of servings I guess.
A spoonful? Oh that's nothing! Just goes to show you how much cooking I do and how great my culinary skills are! I thought we were talking most of the pasta water.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
You're adding very little starch from the pasta water. Pasta should be cooked al-dente and finished in the sauce w/a little cooking water.
Gawd I feel so dopey! You put the pasta in the sauce to finish cooking?
I thought you put the sauce on the pasta at the end and that was that.

I need cooking school!!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:01 AM

OK here's how I make spaghetti and you'll realize a few things.

I put garlic powder, olive oil, and a teeny bit of vinegar in the water. When it's boiling, pasta goes in. Boils until I taste it and it's hard enough (or soft enough) for my taste. Then drain it and put it aside.

Heat up a bottle of sauce. White or red.

Put pasta on plate. Put sauce over pasta. Stir. Eat.

Good huh? :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink