Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 05:08 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,747,519 times

Advertisements

I made a jumbalaya recipe I got from the forum here. I wish I could remember who listed it. It was delicious! She makes 1/2 chicken for DH and 1/2 shrimp for herself. I used the shrimp. Thanks much!

Old 01-03-2009, 05:29 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,034,489 times
It's been a ton of random stuff tonight. It started out with me boiling edamame. Then dh had leftover spaghetti. Then the kids said they were hungry for bowtie pasta with parm cheese and bacon bits. So that was it. I was going to make pork chops but they didn't defrost in time. I guess we'll eat it tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:39 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,874,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I made a jumbalaya recipe I got from the forum here. I wish I could remember who listed it. It was delicious! She makes 1/2 chicken for DH and 1/2 shrimp for herself. I used the shrimp. Thanks much!
Think it's YoungLisa!

Did you all hear groaning coming from the frozen tundra? It was stuffed cabbage, yukon gold mashed and biscuits for Mr.L and spin salad for me.

Full,happy-ready for TV and the comforter-see you in the morn.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:46 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,748,565 times
I had pizza from Pizza Hut tonight.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:53 PM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,461,719 times
Bbq ribs, baked beans, a coleslaw that was NOT mayonaise-y, bread rolls. Am a happy camper.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:57 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,068,701 times
Just about to embark on steak, baked potatoes with sour cream, and spinach carrot salad

Hope you are all enjoying a fine evening. It was 81F here today, almost too hot for yard work but I managed to clear all the leaves and make it tidy. Odd to see bare trees when it's over 80F tho....

Old 01-03-2009, 06:25 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,137,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Where do you guys come up with all these ideas.....throw out the packets....liquid smoke, swanson broth (vs another brand?)........

I feel so inept.
What I'm always doing is smelling things, does it smell like it could be good with ______?

Old 01-03-2009, 06:33 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,346,548 times
Oxtail soup was mighty fine, mighty fine indeed.

Spouse discovered too late that we were out of barley, so he threw in a handful of a wild rice mix that we've had limited success with as a side dish by itself in the past, and discovered that soup is the perfect medium for it - it added an excellent mix of textures to the melange. Then of course he dumped in the leftover root vegetable soup from a couple of days ago, some frozen peas, added more onion and garlic, dropped in a bouquet garni bag full of seasoning and let it all stew happily together for a few hours, and we thoroughly enjoyed the results. Of course, we now have an even BIGGER bowl of leftover soup in the fridge to get through before Tuesday. But with class starting back up for me on Monday night, I'll do my bit to make inroads in the oversupply.

Funny thing about oxtail as a soup meat. Both spouse and I recall our respective mothers buying that as just about the cheapest cut of beef around for soup, and we both went through gallons of the stuff as kids, but it is no longer a budget cut of beef. We got them for this batch of soup out of nostalgia more than anything else, but for $3.99 a pound, that's some pretty expensive nostalgia. Frankly, we both like using leftover pot roast and pan drippings at least as much if not more for a beef-based soup, and pot roast is a lot less expensive, even from our Farmers' Market vendor.

But it was still a tasty supper, and a good one for a night when we're supposed to get sleet and freezing rain. Definitely time to curl up with the wool throw and a good book tonight, I think. See you in the funny papers!

Old 01-03-2009, 06:33 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,432,143 times
Wow all this talk about bean soup. I love beans. I'll have to get a pack of the 10,12,15 or whatever amount of bean soup I can find. Tonight I made fried flounder using very little olive oil and green beans. It was very good but I am still a little hungry. I think I will have either some pumpkin with cool whip or cottage cheese, cinnamon, and peaches for dessert. I'm trying to be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Think it's YoungLisa!

Did you all hear groaning coming from the frozen tundra? It was stuffed cabbage, yukon gold mashed and biscuits for Mr.L and spin salad for me.

Full,happy-ready for TV and the comforter-see you in the morn.
Sorry it wasn't me. Can't take the credit for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Bbq ribs, baked beans, a coleslaw that was NOT mayonaise-y, bread rolls. Am a happy camper.
Yummy. I love ribs but they like my hips way too much. I drool every time you guys make ribs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Just about to embark on steak, baked potatoes with sour cream, and spinach carrot salad

Hope you are all enjoying a fine evening. It was 81F here today, almost too hot for yard work but I managed to clear all the leaves and make it tidy. Odd to see bare trees when it's over 80F tho....
Enjoy that delicious sounding dinner.

That's all for tonight. I am trying a new recipe tomorrow although it will be modified a bit because "I'm changing my eating" style. Have a great night all.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 PM

849 posts, read 1,955,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Sounds like the time I put a too-chunky/thick red taco sauce into one of those ketchup-style squeeze bottles. I had an all-white kitchen at the time.

My brother is really into pressure cooking right now and keeps telling me to get one. I'm a little scared too.
Honestly, pressure cookers are made much safer and easier to use now. I really enjoy my pressure cooker! For soups, stews, braised meat of any kind and beans. It's more than a time saver, I think it actually makes foods taste better. I used to have an electric one, but now I use a stove top one and I like it even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.