Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 06:06 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times

Advertisements

If it stops raining here it may be burgers on the grill, corn on the cob and salad.

That cobbler sounds so delicious.

NMS saw that gas is $6 a gal in some places in Fla????

Old 09-14-2008, 06:25 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
who knows about supper.....we had Ham and Eggs for breakfst nice to have ham in the fridge from last nights supper.....I would be happy to have cheesey potato scollop for supper with ham chunks...but that is not the type of dish DP would enjoy and no way since we had ham for supper and then for breakfast....I will probably cook fish for supper...maybe pan fried salmon.
Oh elston---cheesy potatoe scallop is one of my favorite dishes! I could eat ham for days on end--for each meal! I also love to take the ham bone and the bits and pieces of ham and make lima beans and ham! I make a huge pot and freeze the extra for other dinners or snacks! Yummy!!
Here too lacey--well, gas is $5.00 a gallon. Guess we won't be going much until they decide to bring it back down!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 09-14-2008 at 06:35 AM..

Old 09-14-2008, 06:38 AM

48,148 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Default Cheesy potato and ham casserole

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Oh elston---cheesy potatoe scallop is one of my favorite dishes! I could eat ham for days on end--for each meal! I also love to take the ham bone and the bits and pieces of ham and make lima beans and ham! I make a huge pot and freeze the extra for other dinners or snacks! Yummy!!
Here too lacey--well, $5.00 a gallon. Guess we won't be going much until they decide to bring it back down!
I am thinking black bean soup with the bone and ham scraps....using the coke broth as suggested in the original post's recipe....the broth is really quite tasty and doesnt taste at all like coke now tht the ham and onion and seasonings were cooked in it for more than 3 hours.....I saved it.

I am thinking tomorrow I may get to do the cheesy potato with some ham chunks.....if he doesnt want it or much of it.....we can fill in with miso soup and a salad for him...

Now, Cyn.....I dont have a real recipe for the potatoes......I do have ham, potatoes, onion, velveta and stock kitchen items.....can you tell me how you make it, please. Don't worry about exact measurements.... you know me.....tell me about steps like "parboil?" "layer in casserole with?" "flour or no flour" milk?; when to add the cheese.....350 temp? and timing.

I hope you can do that for me.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
After last nights mexican fiesta I'm thinking broccoli/cheese quiche or scallop potatoes w/ham.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:46 AM

Smile commodity speculators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
After last nights mexican fiesta I'm thinking broccoli/cheese quiche or scallop potatoes w/ham.
I can telll there is going to be a run on the cheesy scalloped potatoes and ham....

This thread could effect the futures market on commodities.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:47 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
$5 and $6 and gallon is just wrong. Hubby and I heard all of this on the news... and got nervous... we don't have any changes. I don't see how they can do that to you guys. Something really needs to be done to companies that spike gas prices like that in times of trouble. It is sick...really makes me so angry...

Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
For sure-I still have ham in the freezer leftover.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am thinking black bean soup with the bone and ham scraps....using the coke broth as suggested in the original post's recipe....the broth is really quite tasty and doesnt taste at all like coke now tht the ham and onion and seasonings were cooked in it for more than 3 hours.....I saved it.

I am thinking tomorrow I may get to do the cheesy potato with some ham chunks.....if he doesnt want it or much of it.....we can fill in with miso soup and a salad for him...

Now, Cyn.....I dont have a real recipe for the potatoes......I do have ham, potatoes, onion, velveta and stock kitchen items.....can you tell me how you make it, please. Don't worry about exact measurements.... you know me.....tell me about steps like "parboil?" "layer in casserole with?" "flour or no flour" milk?; when to add the cheese.....350 temp? and timing.

I hope you can do that for me.
You know me elston---simple!
I slice the potatoes very thin. I cut up the ham in small chunks. I love onions so I also chop up some onions. Then in a buttered baking dish I layer the potatoes first, then ham and onions plus I put small chunks of butter (I love butter). I continue layering this until I use up the amount of potatoes I want for dinner. I take a seperate pan and make a nice white sauce and add my cheese (cheese sause of course). I pour this cheese sauce over my potatoes and bake. I use raw potatoes so be sure to slice them thin so the cook well! I bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until they start getting that golden topping--careful not to burn. Burned tastes lousy! Ha! I've done that.
The top layer should only be potatoes. Oh yeah...salt and pepper on each layer too!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 09-14-2008 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-14-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
You know me elston---simple!
I slice the potatoes very thin. I cut up the ham in small chunks. I love onions so I also chop up some onions. Then in a buttered baking dish I layer the potatoes first, then ham and onions plus I put small chunks of butter (I love butter). I continue layering this until I use up the amount of potatoes I want for dinner. I take a seperate pan and make a nice white sauce and add my cheese (cheese sause of course). I pour this cheese sauce over my potatoes and bake. I use raw potatoes so be sure to slice them thin so the cook well! I bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until they start getting that golden topping--careful not to burn. Burned tastes lousy! Ha! I've done that.
The top layer should only be potatoes.
I can do that..... a million thanks! I think I can I think I can I think I can.....I know I can! I can't wait!!!!!!!

Cook uncovered the whole time or cover and then uncover to brown the top?

Old 09-14-2008, 07:15 AM

I cook mine covered for about 35 minutes and leave uncovered for about 10-15 minutes or until it gets that great golden look---you know that look! It sometimes takes a bit longer so test it but this is an average time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.