Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times

Advertisements

Report on gemkeeper's Creeping Crust Cobbler

The consensus in the family is unanimous: OH MY DEAR HEAVENS BUT THAT'S SOME GOOD STUFF. Seriously, folks, if you need a big, yummy, rich, sweet, and super-easy dessert, try gem's fabulous cobbler.

We used frozen blackberries, a couple of 12-ounce bags. Mixed them with the sugar and cinnamon and thawed them completely, to the point where there was plenty of juice in the bowl. Blackberries are nicely tart, which complemented the very sweet dough quite nicely. The spouse wants to try the cobbler with a home-made hot ginger-cranberry sauce that we're very fond of, and I think that would be excellent, too. Peaches would make a fabulous version as well.

Gemkeeper's recipe said "1 to 2 sticks of butter," and on the theory that you can never have too much butter, I opted for using 2. It made the crust incredibly rich; the edges are caramelized with the sugar and butter, set off with the tart blackberry juice, and the result is just pure heaven on a spoon. I don't even want to THINK about the calories; I've probably just consumed a week's worth at least. But it was well worth it. I think next time I'll try it with one stick, just for comparison's sake. And I might cut back just a scosh on the sugar in the batter. But it's a mighty tasty dish just as it is, without any meddling on my part at all.

Thank you, gemkeeper, for a real winner of a dish! I tried to rep you but the silly website says I have to be more egalitarian with the love first. They really ought to change the programming so that the "must rep X people before you can rep this person again" rule doesn't apply to the foodies' thread!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:16 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post

The consensus in the family is unanimous: OH MY DEAR HEAVENS BUT THAT'S SOME GOOD STUFF. Seriously, folks, if you need a big, yummy, rich, sweet, and super-easy dessert, try gem's fabulous cobbler.

We used frozen blackberries, a couple of 12-ounce bags. Mixed them with the sugar and cinnamon and thawed them completely, to the point where there was plenty of juice in the bowl. Blackberries are nicely tart, which complemented the very sweet dough quite nicely. The spouse wants to try the cobbler with a home-made hot ginger-cranberry sauce that we're very fond of, and I think that would be excellent, too. Peaches would make a fabulous version as well.

Gemkeeper's recipe said "1 to 2 sticks of butter," and on the theory that you can never have too much butter, I opted for using 2. It made the crust incredibly rich; the edges are caramelized with the sugar and butter, set off with the tart blackberry juice, and the result is just pure heaven on a spoon. I don't even want to THINK about the calories; I've probably just consumed a week's worth at least. But it was well worth it. I think next time I'll try it with one stick, just for comparison's sake. And I might cut back just a scosh on the sugar in the batter. But it's a mighty tasty dish just as it is, without any meddling on my part at all.

Thank you, gemkeeper, for a real winner of a dish! I tried to rep you but the silly website says I have to be more egalitarian with the love first. They really ought to change the programming so that the "must rep X people before you can rep this person again" rule doesn't apply to the foodies' thread!
Thanks for the great review. We were gone all day and did not arrive home in time to try it. I'm thinking some fresh peaches for the first batch. Then some of those blackberries. Then as soon as some new crop Granny Smith apples come in some of them. Oh my I need a long legal pad for my options. And then maybe a longer belt

Old 09-14-2008, 07:43 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,350,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Had no idea what to make for dinner tonight but as usual you guys have saved me.

Toad in the Hole with a side of boxties will go down a storm with my little British babies (inc DH), plus carrots and broccoli, and real homemade onion gravy!!!!

o I'm so happy now!!!
I'm really lost now. What is a "Toad in the Hole"?

Old 09-14-2008, 07:51 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Are you sure we want to know??

Old 09-14-2008, 07:53 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I'm quoting myself.....oooooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'll have to try that. I found a recipe here.

Recipes : Toad-in-the-Hole : Food Network

Old 09-14-2008, 07:53 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,350,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Names can be deceiving. It's worth a try. You should have heard me explaining "Rocky Mountain Oysters" to my son. The kid is really smart but isn't that knowledgeable in different types of foods.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:02 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
BTW the origins, history and meaning of the name of the famous British delicacy 'toad in the hole' are lost in time.

However, I like the last, and possibly most plausible explanation here...

Tel said....
Toad-in-the-hole origin unveiled?? - World of Vince

Old 09-14-2008, 08:06 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,713,576 times
DH went to the Buc's game, so I took the kiddos to Chuck E Cheese for 4 hours. We had their pizza for dinner. It is NOT my fave, in fact, I don't like it at all. Still, it filled us up and we're not sick or dead from it.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:08 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times
Chuck E cheese for 4 hours. That is my version of hell! My hats off to you!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post

I made it as well with a little less of a result which is totally my issue.
I used 1 1/2 sticks butter in a 13x9 pan which was fine but I only added 16 oz of frozen blackberries that I'd tossed in sugar first but they were still frozen. I should have used 2 lbs (32oz) of berries and let them defrost as you did. It was still good but not as great as it could have been I think. I'll definately make it again as I have 2 more bags of blackberries and a big bag of triple berry to use.
Thanks Gem for the easy recipe!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.