Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 09:01 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times

Advertisements

Whoosh, another loooooong day today, and I'm a tired camper. No class this time, hallelujah, but I did a stint this evening at our public TV station answering questions on the phone bank for their digital TV conversion program. I think that was harder than class, to be honest; I understand GAAP just fine, but when it comes to electron-pushing, I'm a couple of decades out of date. Fortunately they had a 10-page booklet of FAQ's and answers, and there was only one call that I had to bump up to one of the engineers on duty.

I was surprised at how many calls there were: there were 30 of us there taking calls for close to two hours, and I think we were all on the phone pretty much continually the whole time. The unofficial count, based on the number of contact sheets filled out, was close to 300 calls, but I know some calls were so short they didn't get a contact sheet, so the real total was probably closer to 350.

Supper tonight was leftover Swiss steak from Sunday night at the office before heading downtown to the public TV station. Mighty tasty stuff, even leftover, and I'm very content. And everyone else at my end of the building was jealous when the aroma wafted down the hall.

It's a chilly night in south-central Wisconsin tonight, and we actually closed windows and turned on the furnace. Tomorrow night is the only night this week we'll be cooking and eating at home, and it'll be a good autumn meal of roast pork, mashed butternut squash and hot home-made applesauce.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,294,175 times
Amber, you are always so sweet and positive! You can tell the apple DID NOT fall far from the tree! You and Cyn are two peas in a pod, and I for one am glad!

Anyhow, had corn chips and salsa for dinner (Won't say anything about the salt & Vinegar "skins" we munched on too!)

I don't know if some of ya'll have noticed, but you will hear me talk about my parents a whole lot. We (DH & myself) are living with my parents at this time. Loooong story, but the gist of it is that we were having a house built in N. GA and the builder did not have the money to finish the house. Soooo, after picking out all the carpet, floorings, cabinets, hardware, plumbing, fixtures etc.. etc...., AND after having sold our home and put everything in storage.....AND planning on staying with my Mom & Dad for just a few weeks....Everything fell to pieces. (I really don't blame him - he simply could not do what he needed to - money!!!)

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer almost a year ago, and has finally finished with all the radiation and chemo. Her hair is finally growing back and she is sooooo cute with her "Jamie Lee Curtis" looking hair - but she still is more comfortable with her wigs - which, by the way are Paula Young and look AMAZINGLY like her real hair! I am not kidding - there were times when I really forgot that she was bald!

Anyhow, We are still living with them (She is 67 & my dad is 78) and I hope that we/ME are more of a help than a burden. (They haven't kicked us out yet, so we must be!! LOL) She just had some more tests done that show that perhaps the cancer MAY/MAY NOT have spread to other parts - lungs, neck right beside her carotid artery - but this particular test (PET Scan) is so sensitive that it could be something, or could be nothing. We get differing opinions from different doctors. She had a biopsy done this morning on the one near the carotid artery, so we will see, won't we.

I felt the need to share this after reading some of my previous posts and seeing that in most of them I talk about my "Mama & Daddy". I just wanted everyone to understand what is going on with me - especially since ya'll have all been so incredibly nice!

I DO believe everything happens for a reason, and perhaps the reason we are "homeless" is so that I can be here and help shoulder some of the responsibilities and just BE HERE for them. I know that she laughs so much more when I am here to give my irreverent and sometimes "loony/tacky/pseudo-redneck/silly" spin on things. OR at least that's what I tell myself!

Gosh, I did go on, didn't I? Sorry, chalk it up to nervousness - we should know the results of the tests tomorrow or the next day.

Anyhow, I am now debating on deleting this entire post. I feel better having typed it and having read it! SEE, you guys are great when you don't even know it!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:22 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times
Kat, I'm so glad that you shared your heart's story with us, and I send your mom strong wishes for a clean biopsy report. I lost my mom to metastatic breast cancer not quite 11 years ago, on her 68th birthday, and I can truthfully say that I know just what you are going through.

The very best thing you can possibly do for Mom is to keep right on providing that "loony/tacky/pseudo-redneck/silly" spin on things and keep her laughing. Based on our family's experience, I am absolutely convinced that attitude, most certainly including humor, has an ENORMOUS impact on the outcome of something like breast cancer, and your goofiness is the very best medicine she can get right now.

And along the way, the best thing you can do for yourself is to vent here among your friends whenever you need to. Caregivers need care, too, and you forget that at your peril; come here to scream or rest or decompress whenever you need to. And if you'd rather not spill your guts to the world, please feel free to send me a private message any time you want to chat, and I'll be glad to respond.

Thank you for sharing, Kat, and take good care of yourself while you're taking care of Mom.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,544,381 times
Oh kat your mom is probably so happy that you are there, and yes I too am a firm believer in everything happens for a reason! I'm glad you didn't delete your post because you are among a great group of people here. I wish your mom all the best and she is lucky to have you for a daughter!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,651 times
Darn that Paula Dean and her butter! I am going to try a poor man steak recipe of her's. It is done in the crock pot... we will see tomorrow....... butter, butter, & more butter LOL. Not sure the whole menu but she sold me on the main dish hmmmmmmmm
Night all! Sweet dreams and great cooking!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:41 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,651 times
Well shoot I post and then read Kat's post... I have to tell you I have tears in my eyes... I feel for you. Please take MBW's advice and come here and vent let us be a suppot group and a friend to you. We are here and that's for sure! Your in my prayers

Old 10-01-2008, 09:55 PM

Thank you all for your responses and DM's! You have no idea how much I appreciate ya'll! AND, don't get me wrong, now......I have every expectation that my Mom is going to be just fine! How could she not be?? She is the most integral part of so many things! She is the epitome of what I consider "old south genteel"!

She always makes everyone feel welcome and at ease. She may disagree with you, but she does it in such a way that you are charmed by it and not provoked. She has the "gift" of righteous indignation - if that makes sense - in that she usually never loses her temper and if she does it must be something that she really believes in - or something to do with her children!

Anyhow, I am getting long winded and I apologize!

Thank you all for your kindness, and let us please get on with the task at hand - FOOD!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:57 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,813 times
OK, I know this is nonresponsive, but it's different. The last two days were the Jewish holiday so tonite I had leftover chicken soup and cake for dinner. Nothing better than holiday leftovers, so just fix a holiday meal once a week and take the rest of the week off.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:16 AM

Nothing better than good leftovers!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:51 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
NMS - Well wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery! I agree also that you need to be waited on hand and foot until you decide it is not needed anymore!

OK, Ya'll have been talking about "mojo" this and "mojo" that and I had no idea what in the world you meant. Well now, went to the grocery store and looked at the goya stuff because I remembered someone talking about a marinade involving bitter oranges or some such. Imagine my surprise when I saw a bottle of MoJo! So THAT is what it is! LOL I was starting to think "Austin Powers Mojo" LOL and thinking....well, maybe I have mojo too???? LOL

Anyhow, this IS the mojo ya'll were talking about, right? ( I certainly hope so, or I really am a big doofus)!!
That is the "mojo" we were talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink