Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 05:16 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
We're actually having something interesting for dinner: stuffed quail. This is the closest I can get to my DH's favorite dish. My first time making them, so I am looking for recipes. I have bulgur wheat and rice, but I'm not quite sure what to do for stuffing as yet. I also have various nuts, dried fruit and veggies. . . The quail are marinating in garlic, chopped sage and salt now. I hope that's good for quail...
I've never stuffed them personally! Just cooked them in a pan, I like them simple...either that or I'm just lazy!

Nigel Slater is my fave simple cook - he's brilliant at getting the true flavours from foods...I have his books but here are some from online sources

BBC - Food - Recipes - Hot and sticky roast quail (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/hotandstickyroastqua_80547.shtml - broken link)

Roast quail with harissa and pomegranate seeds
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rink.shopping1

Five spice quail
Nigel Slater's spring suppers | Life and style | The Observer

Old 09-14-2008, 05:37 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,350,132 times
I had a stuffed veal breast tonight that I picked up at the store. The stuffing was good but the breast was greasy and very chewy. I ended up throwing it away. It was cooked at the store and all I had to do was reheat it.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:44 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,674,830 times
The Texas Taco platter was very good! Yummy.....

Old 09-14-2008, 05:46 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Full tummy...dinner turned out good! I'm happy! Tired and ready to hit the sack! Everyone have a wonderful evenings and full tummies!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:49 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,164,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Now that is sad............Today I paid 3.59 here in MA.
Can you say gouging????

Only $3.59????

I paid $3.99 yesterday but the lowest it had been here recently was $3.64.

I had white rice, black beans and flap meat steak for dinner.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:49 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times
Beans and Ham!

Had soaked some large limas overnight (cooked them in chicken broth from some chicken I had boiled). Added some leftover spiral ham we had frozen. Voila!

They really were good!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:53 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Oh I'm happy-it was only 50 here and was freezing-so linguine/sausage gravy, salad-tasted awesome.

Don't know if I can survive another winter here.

Nite and sweet food dreams all.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:01 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Tonight is chicken fried steak with chicken gravy, mashed potatoes, peas, and my wonderful sliced tomatoes. I need a wonderful creamed cucumber recipe. Mine was quite dull . It was definately missing something. Any good ideas here???
Maybe I just didn't let them sit long enough? I used sour cream and onions.
Hi, all. This is the first chance I have had to check what everyone is making for dinner tonight, so I have only gotten to 9:30 AM posts.

Cyn, I got a wonderful creamed cucumber recipe years ago from a friend of mine and it is always a hit. I'll be happy to share it in case you haven't found one yet.

I have found that the trick to a good cuke salad is to slice the cucumbers, put them in a colander and sprinkle well with salt. This draws a ton of water out of the cukes to keep your cream sauce from getting runny. I let them drain in the colander for a good hour and then put them in cheese cloth or a fresh, clean tea towel wrap them up and squeeze as much water out as I can. This crushes the slices a little, but they remain just as crisp as ever.

Sauce:

1/2 C. sour cream (low fat works fine)
1/4 C. mayo (Hellmann's here!) or plain yogurt (I use non-fat)
one whole scallion finely chopped
pepper (Probably needs no salt if you salted cukes well in colander.)
1/4 tsp. dry mustard (Coleman's is good.)
1 T. lemon juice (Real Lemon is fine if you don't have fresh.)
1 T. vinegar of choice (I prefer rice wine vinegar with this.)
1 T. chopped parsley or 1 tsp. dried
1 T. chopped dill or 1/2 tsp. dried

Mix sauce, add to drained cucumbers and enjoy a taste treat. I always make this with beef roast and pork roast. The flavors together are wonderful.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:02 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
We ate on the cheap. Did not need much after stuffing at lunch. We had a macaroni beef casserole that was so good. And the best part is was at a friends house. That made it double good...Now it's time to see what all happened over the weekend and catch up on the Ike visit.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:03 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
Hey Elson, no worries - we can't have too much of a good thing!

The dinner plans for this eve all went wrong - we went to Ikea and spent FAR too long in there but did have quite nice lunch, salmon for me . Then we had to make all the things we bought - which involved much confusion with packaging and instructions, and lots of 'help' from the 6 yr old!!!

Anyways, no time to make the toad in the hole tonight as planned, never mind the boxty!!

So I cooked up pasta bows, softened some onion and garlic in olive oil, threw in some frozen mussels, white wine, flat-leaf parsley and some broccoli, hey presto - nice dinner.

Rest of the wine is in my glass....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink