Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 10:37 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Had no idea what to make for dinner tonight but as usual you guys have saved me.

Toad in the Hole with a side of boxties will go down a storm with my little British babies (inc DH), plus carrots and broccoli, and real homemade onion gravy!!!!

o I'm so happy now!!!
Boxty (very much like Potato Farls

"Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan;
If you can't make boxty, you'll never get your man."

1 cup raw potato
1 cup mashed potato
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sault
large knob of butter melted
about 1/2 pt milk

grate raw potato, turn out into a cloth and wring, catching liquid in a bowl
(this will seperate out into a liquid and starch at bottom, pour off fluid and scrape out the starch and mix with grated and mashed potatoes.

Sieve dry ingredients and mix in along with melted butter. Add a little milk as necessary to make a pliable dough. Knead lightly on floured surface. Divide into four and form large flat cakes.

Mark each into quarters but do not cut right thru and bake on a griddle or a heavy fry pan.

can also be fried like drop scones.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:09 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Tonight I'm thinking of having a "Ploughman’s Lunch", for dinner…bread, cheese, pickles, pickled vegetables, and some kind of fruit salad.

Quick and easy!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:33 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
You know me elston---simple!
I slice the potatoes very thin. I cut up the ham in small chunks. I love onions so I also chop up some onions. Then in a buttered baking dish I layer the potatoes first, then ham and onions plus I put small chunks of butter (I love butter). I continue layering this until I use up the amount of potatoes I want for dinner. I take a seperate pan and make a nice white sauce and add my cheese (cheese sause of course). I pour this cheese sauce over my potatoes and bake. I use raw potatoes so be sure to slice them thin so the cook well! I bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until they start getting that golden topping--careful not to burn. Burned tastes lousy! Ha! I've done that.
The top layer should only be potatoes. Oh yeah...salt and pepper on each layer too!
This is exactly how we make 'em, too, and it makes a wonderful meal. If you have a mandoline that won't slice your fingers, that's an excellent way to get the tater slices consistently thin.

I would add a word or two on the baking time, as I've found the hard way that it depends a whole lot on the type of casserole dish you use. If you use a tall, deep one, the variety that's about 8 or 9 inches in diameter and about 5 inches deep, you'll be able to get more layers in but you'll also need to increase your baking time. If you use a wide, shallow dish, or a 9x13 pan, you can only do a couple of layers, but it'll cook much more quickly. Kinda depends on how your day is planned and how much time you want to be able to walk away and leave supper by itself in the oven.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:39 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I need a wonderful creamed cucumber recipe. Mine was quite dull . It was definately missing something. Any good ideas here???
Maybe I just didn't let them sit long enough? I used sour cream and onions.
We really like making cucumber salad with plain yoghurt instead of sour cream. I think the yoghurt carries the flavors better, and allows them to blend more easily. Definitely include some crushed fresh garlic; I'd also add some fresh-ground black pepper. And it helps if you mix it up a few hours before you're going to serve it, so that everything can get acquainted and all the ingredients will play nicely together when you serve it.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:55 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
I'm full as a tick that's had a vacation on a hound dog at the moment from a Sunday birthday bash. Dinner for tonight may be just a glass of iced tea. After a southern buffet I'm not even interested in food at the moment. Quick nap and then off to work. Have a great Sunday all. Happy birthday again Amberbaby.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:56 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Thank you! That sounds really good! Also, thanks for clarifying the cooking time a bit better. It really does make a big difference on time when using different sizes of dishes! I use to have a mandoline but I haven't come across it since our move---could still very easily be in a box somewhere but they do make it much easier!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:06 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
I want a mandoline and a ricer.......I guess I need to visit a kitchen store at the mall. I would also really like an old fashion meat grinder....I seldom use my food processor and dont like it nearly as well.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,409,524 times
We're actually having something interesting for dinner: stuffed quail. This is the closest I can get to my DH's favorite dish. My first time making them, so I am looking for recipes. I have bulgur wheat and rice, but I'm not quite sure what to do for stuffing as yet. I also have various nuts, dried fruit and veggies. . . The quail are marinating in garlic, chopped sage and salt now. I hope that's good for quail...

Old 09-14-2008, 12:23 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
$5 and $6 and gallon is just wrong. Hubby and I heard all of this on the news... and got nervous... we don't have any changes. I don't see how they can do that to you guys. Something really needs to be done to companies that spike gas prices like that in times of trouble. It is sick...really makes me so angry...
There is a website you can go on and just plug in your zip code and it will tell you the cheapest gas prices in your area. It is updated daily.

Gas Prices - MSN Autos

Old 09-14-2008, 01:38 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Boxty (very much like Potato Farls

..... can also be fried like drop scones.
Cook 'em nice n slow tho, to the palest golden brown...

I love potato farls with a cooked breakfast - w/fried eggs & bacon, mmmmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.