Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 06:55 PM

431 posts, read 1,203,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Cuisinette, The only Borscht I'm familiar with is the red (beet) borscht.
I've explained before, the red beet soup is traditional Russian, but people from other regions who don't like beet, use cabbage, potatoes or other vegetable.
Except the fact that the soup is not red, it has the same taste.

For example my family members that live in Kiev, don't like the beets but they use red cabbage.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Cuisinette, I love the taste my brain is cooking up with the sour cream in the Borscht. (I hope that isn't my brain cooking!! ) I wonder if plain yogurt doctored up would be an adequate substitute.
Hey, I love brains

Yogurt is not good, because it turns into curds because of the lemon juice.

Don't end up with cheese in your soup
And we only add sour cream when serving not while cooking.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:00 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,350,132 times
Gem, My grandmother used whatever was on hand in a lot of her meals. There's no set rule as to what has to be in receipes. Try the fish soup and let me know how it turns out.

Cuisinette, I used to work for a Jewish pharmacist when I was in high school and the beet borscht was the only one I was exposed to.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
There's no set rule as to what has to be in receipes.
The same rule applies to the Borscht too

Quote:
Cuisinette, I used to work for a Jewish pharmacist when I was in high school and the beet borscht was the only one I was exposed to.
Too bad you are missing on flavors.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:05 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
They sure are and now I've got a craving for both. Maybe just maybe I can sweet talk the Mrs into at least one of them in a cobbler for tomorrow's dinner. Rather have a thin pizza crust style dessert but a cobbler is easier to store in the fridge in the smaller & deeper dish.
Ahhh, Nomad, that reminds me! I have a recipe for a wonderful fruit of any kind cobbler made in a 9x12 pan or half-recipe in an 8" pan. It is super easy and wonderful. My family loves it. I have to run now, but will make it tomorrow with cherries and post the recipe.

Color my family HAPPY - tomorrow.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:11 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Ahhh, Nomad, that reminds me! I have a recipe for a wonderful fruit of any kind cobbler made in a 9x12 pan or half-recipe in an 8" pan. It is super easy and wonderful. My family loves it. I have to run now, but will make it tomorrow with cherries and post the recipe.

Color my family HAPPY - tomorrow.
Post early and my family will be happy too.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:33 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
Well hubby was having a seafood craving tonight, so after an appetizer of homemade bruschetta with fresh romano cheese and cherry tomatoes picked from my garden, this is who he brought home:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2528/lobsterrawyp0.jpg (broken link)

Look at the size of this claw:
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1737/lobsterclawei9.jpg (broken link)

And here he is solo. His two smaller cousins are still in the pot!
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/188/p1000415au7.jpg (broken link)

Cannolis and fresh brewed french vanilla coffee completes the meal. Hubby is happy like a pig in mud!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:36 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,759 times
Here Piggy Piggy .......

1 box brown sugar
1 lb butter (I know ts alot!) @ room temp
1 can pineapple rings
sm jar maracino cherries
2 1/2 cups ginger ale

Mix brown sugar and butter together. Cover the ham with this mixture. Now toothpick your pineapple rings in place and pour the remaining pineapple juice in raosting pan. Top the rings with cherries and pour the rest of the maracino juice in the pan as well. Add ginger ale. This all cooks in with the ham and is used for basteing it. Like I said before let the ham rest when it is done cooking. That will allow the oil in your "gravy" to rise. Use your baster to get all that sweet goodness and your gravy boat will be the most popular thing on the table

Gem here you go Kats you too. It is YUMMMMY!
Elston I am so happy the chs cake was a success for you. Yeah it is a keeper haha I don't measure to often unless it a new recipe that I am following.
Nette I have had the borscht with beets. Yours looks scrumptous!
NJMike I am with ya on the no sweets on my pies! (pizza)
Nomad where's the pudding ha ha

Old 09-13-2008, 07:37 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Well hubby was having a seafood craving tonight, so after an appetizer of homemade bruschetta with fresh romano cheese and cherry tomatoes picked from my garden, this is who he brought home:

Look at the size of this claw:

And here he is solo. His two smaller cousins are still in the pot!

Cannolis and fresh brewed french vanilla coffee completes the meal. Hubby is happy like a pig in mud!
I'm not telling him what you said about him. No not me not ever. You are bad. Really bad. Pig in mud. H'mmm.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:41 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,624 times
tonight's dinner is lasagna, garlic bread, and yellow cake with cream cheese frosting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink