Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How difficult would it be to give up meat for life?
I cannot live without meat so life as I know it would be over. 31 23.85%
It would be a struggle, but i could manage. 53 40.77%
Meh. Take it or leave it. 28 21.54%
I don't eat meat now, so no sweat. 18 13.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:19 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Could never do it. Meat is the one food my body craves and requires. I don't crave sugar like most people, I crave protein.

Plus I don't believe in fad diets that eliminate crucial parts of the human diet that we evolved on for millions of years. Its not healthy and sets yourself up for illness and deficiencies.

sent from my android via tapatalk
I crave protein too and get plenty of it. Nothing wrong with eating meat either as diet is a personal choice and I believe you can achieve healthiness with lots of different diets. But, on a vitamins & minerals type-level, even as primarily a vegetarian, I am not deficient on anything and my physicals and blood tests routinely show it. It's not about eating X & Y food, it's about consuming X & Y items from a nutritional standpoint. As long as I get my protein, my iron, my vitamin C, my healthy fats, etc. my body is happy, whether it comes from an animal or not

People should really view their diet in terms of the nutrition they are taking in instead of the ways they get that nutrition. That is the true "diet" you should stick to. Eating healthy via whatever diet is easiest for you is better than worrying about omnivore vs veg vs pesca vs paleo, etc.

I say this as someone who still plays in soccer, softball, and volleyball leagues (depending on the seasons) and lifts on a regular basis. I also haven't gotten as much as a cold in the past probably 4 years? I do NOT say this to say my diet is better than a diet with meat, just to point out that I don't see any deficiency or illness issues with my personal diet.

Last edited by Sunbather; 10-28-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:18 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,680 times
I could easily convert to the other type of "meat", it actually is just as good and sometimes better and healthier than real meat.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:42 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
I said take it or leave it. I eat 2 meals a week meatless anyway. My husband cannot live without meat.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:47 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
If my life DEPENDED on it I guess I'd have to learn to live without it...

Old 10-28-2013, 02:54 PM

8 posts, read 9,516 times
For about 9 months, from October 2012 to this July I HAD to give up meat (and most other food). Not by choice. We had lost our home of 23 years and were LITERALLY starving but our family income was $500 PER YEAR too high to qualify for the coveted Gibs Me Dat. Our "family" consisted of just me and my wife - no 5,6,7+ kids we couldn't afford to be rewarded for having. Monetarily we would've been the cheapest hand outs the tax payers would've ever been burdened with, even less so considering the decades we had "donated" a fifth of our paychecks each and every f#*%#&! week. But alas, a white couple in their late 40s - early 50s with no children is still expected to provide for those less fortunate and should they suddenly find themselves in genuine need of help they get turned away. Repeatedly.

Yes, as a lifelong meat eater it was VERY difficult. Even peanut butter (white man's lobster) doesn't seem to provide the needed protein or satisfaction. It would've been interesting now to have never even tasted meat from birth and to see how well I would've lived without it. Sometimes my craving for meat almost seems like an addiction of sorts both physical and psychological. A memorable example is when I used to get Gout attacks - an indescribable pain and closely analogous to getting your foot shot off or caught in a bear trap. On those nights when the bed covering just touching my foot felt like the blade from a machete I would pray to whichever God that would hear me to just ease the pain and I would NEVER touch a scrap of meat again. A week later I'd be craving hamburger so badly I'd jump in the car (lol, back when I owned a car) and shakily scoff down a Big Mac like it was a heroin fix.

Last edited by asecondlife; 10-28-2013 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: angry memories getting the best of me

Old 10-28-2013, 03:54 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I have a medical condition that i cannot swallow meat and it has always appeared as a knot in the back of my throat (how I first noticed the condition ) . So now as a result of having this condition I cannot swallow any kind of meat and sometimes other foods give me a fit as well but I deal with it day in and day out . Apparently this condition is hereditary .

Old 10-28-2013, 04:46 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asecondlife View Post
For about 9 months, from October 2012 to this July I HAD to give up meat (and most other food). Not by choice. We had lost our home of 23 years and were LITERALLY starving but our family income was $500 PER YEAR too high to qualify for the coveted Gibs Me Dat. Our "family" consisted of just me and my wife - no 5,6,7+ kids we couldn't afford to be rewarded for having. Monetarily we would've been the cheapest hand outs the tax payers would've ever been burdened with, even less so considering the decades we had "donated" a fifth of our paychecks each and every f#*%#&! week. But alas, a white couple in their late 40s - early 50s with no children is still expected to provide for those less fortunate and should they suddenly find themselves in genuine need of help they get turned away. Repeatedly.

Yes, as a lifelong meat eater it was VERY difficult. Even peanut butter (white man's lobster) doesn't seem to provide the needed protein or satisfaction. It would've been interesting now to have never even tasted meat from birth and to see how well I would've lived without it. Sometimes my craving for meat almost seems like an addiction of sorts both physical and psychological. A memorable example is when I used to get Gout attacks - an indescribable pain and closely analogous to getting your foot shot off or caught in a bear trap. On those nights when the bed covering just touching my foot felt like the blade from a machete I would pray to whichever God that would hear me to just ease the pain and I would NEVER touch a scrap of meat again. A week later I'd be craving hamburger so badly I'd jump in the car (lol, back when I owned a car) and shakily scoff down a Big Mac like it was a heroin fix.
I hope you are back on track!

For the record I voted "take it or leave it" but I've spent many years of my life intermittently vegetarian, both as a child (parents went vegetarian for years) and as an adult, simply because meat simply wasn't that important to me as a food source at times. Not for any moral, ethical or economic reason...just because...it wasn't important. Tasty, but no more tasty than Snickers bars or coffee or cream-cheese croissants or Ben & Jerry's icecream. All of which I would miss, but it wouldn't be that big a deal.

For the record also I am in phenomally good health (just had a full physical and that's the word my doctor used) and pretty much eat what I feel like eating when I feel like eating it. I have no filters in my diet. At 55, I am eating much less carbs and sugary things and more protein albeit protein that works for me is very often eggs, greens, beans and cheese.

Maybe it's my personal biology or my upbringing but while I have never craved meat, I have often and consciously craved green, leafy, vegetables. Usually after a couple of days of eating crappy food, I seriously crave vegetables and not-crappy food. I crave broccoli or greens. Really, I do, perhaps that is wierd.

Suddenly, however, after reading this thread I am craving bacon. LOL.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:17 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
I don't think it would be a big deal as I don't usually eat meat more than twice a week.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
All this talk of no meat made me want meat. Just had a juicy burger. But I tempered it with butter braised cabbage.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:39 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Mom, I'm with you, had a thick porterhouse steak for dinner....one of my favs,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink