Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How difficult would it be to give up meat for life?
I cannot live without meat so life as I know it would be over. 31 23.85%
It would be a struggle, but i could manage. 53 40.77%
Meh. Take it or leave it. 28 21.54%
I don't eat meat now, so no sweat. 18 13.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,314 times

Advertisements

Vegetarianism DOES lead to higher cancer risks.

Vegetarians are 'less healthy' and have a poorer quality of life than meat-eaters | Daily Mail Online

There are also certain tumours only Vegetarians get. My SIL had one, a cancerous pregnancy.

Very very rare in Western society, very common in Japan because the women don't eat meat.

IMO there is something very important about meat to build a healthy system.

When the same SIL broke her ankle it wouldn't heal, until the doctors told her she HAD to eat some meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 02:05 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
...I eat fist two or three nights a week...
I'm surprised you have any teeth left.

I'm not an avid meat-eater, but I would definitely miss meats if I couldn't eat them.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:09 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Vegetarianism DOES lead to higher cancer risks.

Vegetarians are 'less healthy' and have a poorer quality of life than meat-eaters | Daily Mail Online

There are also certain tumours only Vegetarians get. My SIL had one, a cancerous pregnancy.

Very very rare in Western society, very common in Japan because the women don't eat meat.

IMO there is something very important about meat to build a healthy system.

When the same SIL broke her ankle it wouldn't heal, until the doctors told her she HAD to eat some meat.
There are some pretty out there statements, and I really wish you'd provide more than a Daily Mail story about one Austrian study.

-A vegetarian diet doesn't prevent broken bones from healing.

-Please link to any reputable source showing cancer transmission during pregnancy is "very common" in Japan, or that it has anything to do with not eating meat.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:41 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
I would have an extremely difficult time. For over 25 years 75% of my red meat has been game, I eat fish and wild fowl. That protein is generally the cornerstone to our meals. We eat a lot of veggies too, but we do not substitute meat (because we don't have to).

I would not like it one bit, not one bit at all.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 PM

38,869 posts, read 22,854,503 times
It would be extremely difficult for me to give up meat. It's so savory and satisfying, especially if it's prepared right. I also eat fruits and vegetables with my meals but meat is definitely the cornerstone that ties everything together.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:28 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,294 times
Easy! I am a vegetarian now!

Old 09-17-2015, 01:28 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is why I will end up quitting eating meat. It always bothered me to think of killing animals, but I could detach those thoughts from the package of ground beef in the supermarket. As I get older and learn more, that's getting harder to do.

My daughter has that list of horrible documentaries that she wants me to watch about factory farming. I haven't, but she has made me more aware by giving me dribs and drabs of the details. She went from letting me treat her to a prime rib dinner one week to being a vegan the next. That was over a year ago, and although she says she "had a few encounters with dairy" on special occasions, she has gotten into plant-based cooking with a passion.

I haven't seen her in a year because she lives on the other side of the planet, but before she left, I enjoyed the challenge of making her some meals with plant-based ingredients only.

Don't watch those horrible documentaries! My son has been trying to get me to watch "Earthlings" and "Forks Over Knives" for years. They are terribly graphic and disturbing.
I already know way too much about factory farms and slaughter houses. I don't need anymore terrible images in my mind. He tells me snippets about these movies - and that just solidifies my desire to avoid them. Ghastly stuff. I saw the trailer for one - that was too much.

Glad that you are thinking about quitting meat! I always thought you would!

Old 09-17-2015, 01:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Pretty easy, for me. I mostly cook and eat without meat, as it is. I'm more likely to eat meat when dining out than I am to prep it myself. I don't dislike meat, but there are so many other things I like more.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:40 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
Tough but id need a good protein source. If I could have eggs, beans and fish I could manage. Love me some meat though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink