Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:58 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,306,708 times

Advertisements

Lots of fear mongers here worrying about eating canned acorn squash instead of pumpkin.
Make the pumpkin pie with the canned 'pumpkin' ... it tastes fine. Great, in fact.

I avoid processed foods high in empty carbs to keep the blood sugar regulated but other then that I don't care if it's in a can. I eat a lot of black beans and vegetable oils high in oleic acid (monounsaturated fat) along with ground beef with plenty of 'pink slime' in it... it's all good. My favorite chips are pinto bean and cheddar beanitos bought online.

I'm glad there are picky eaters out there who complain though as it results in better quality food for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 03:21 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,953,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
They said on TV the other day that when you buy canned pumpkin, there is NO real canned pumpkin, not a drop of pumpkin in there!..... I didn't wait to hear what is in the can..... just didn't think I want to know that!
It says ingredients "pumpkin" how can they label something as a food if it's not true.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,893,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
It says ingredients "pumpkin" how can they label something as a food if it's not true.
Did you not read the above posts?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,332,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
They said on TV the other day that when you buy canned pumpkin, there is NO real canned pumpkin, not a drop of pumpkin in there!..... I didn't wait to hear what is in the can..... just didn't think I want to know that!
I have two cans of Libby's pumpkin in my pantry right now, in preparation for the pumpkin bread I make every holiday season. I just looked at it. The front of the label says Libby's Pure Pumpkin, "America's Favorite Pumpkin." In the ingredients list on the back of the label, the ONLY ingredient listed is "pumpkin," along with the Spanish translation "calabaza."

Canned pumpkin is rich in Vitamin A and fiber and contains a lot of antioxidants. Perhaps there are some cans of pumpkin that contain a bogus product, but I don't think it's the kind I use.

Libby's Pumpkin

Old 12-10-2013, 04:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,736,008 times
I remember learning about this is my Mass Media class in high school in the 80's. Very first thing we learned was that "chocolaty" meant it "tasted like chocolate but didnt contain chocolate"

Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 PM

317 posts, read 475,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehlia View Post
I personally find it sad that trusted stores are able to do that. Practice what you preach, sell what you said you are selling with no added substitutes. For me in the military it seems that part of the problem is that people are no longer willing to certify that the food they are selling for consumption is in fact good for you.Cutting corners, is fine as long as you are not trying to sell stuff like China, Japan, or some other foreign country. That is the whole reason the country relies heavily on companies like the FDA, food and drug administration to set the principles of what is allowed and not allowed. Someoneslipped up if you ask me, hence the increase in more unhealthy and overweight individuals. Its ridiculous that these things are allowed to happen. My family grows a great deal of our own fruits and vegetables primarily because we do not trust others to create the food we know we need to eat. We are no longer interested in chemicals we now are sprayed on foods which have been said to contaminate or a cause cancer to others. If the FDA can no longer be counted on to inspect the food like it used to the high influx of workers changes, what is the point? I find looking out for your best interest is everyone's job today, not just the FDA and other companies like it. What goes into the bodies is mine and everyone's' responsibility today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That isn't a company - it's a government agency. I don't need a government agency telling me what I can eat or how much I can eat. A little bit of common sense goes a long way.

I'll take responsibility for what I eat, as long as the FDA does their part and forces the food companies to label their foods and list their ingredients truthfully. And you have to check every time you buy food, too, because they're always changing formulations and sources on us!

Lately, I have found:
stuffing mix that inexplicably started adding high fructose corn syrup to its ingredients,
cans of tuna fish that suddenly started coming from China, and
tortilla chips that quietly changed the oil the chips were fried in to one containing a LOT of trans fats.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,953,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Did you not read the above posts?
Did you read the post below yours? If it's not pumpkin, then it should say squash products not labeled a certain kind.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:49 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,849,618 times
[quote=Zymer;32560410]...A pumpkin may be a type of squash, but not all squashes are pumpkins....

Well, that is exactly what I said.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:51 PM

537 posts, read 740,795 times
Quote:
My boyfriend is a French model, too. Bonejoor, y'all.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,893,814 times
Quote:
Did you read the post below yours? If it's not pumpkin, then it should say squash products not labeled a certain kind.
Let's go on and on about this subject because it has led to such an engaging discourse .

I suggest you get a team of lawyers and go after those culprits who would think of perpetuating such a dastardly act .

I've said and read all I care to about this silly squash vs pumpkin debate .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink