Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 07:00 PM

358 posts, read 512,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Tang.
Yeah, I had forgotten that for a long time too. But it's still there.

Only if you buy it in a standard grocery store in the US, it most likely has sucralose instead of sugar. They only put sugar in the stuff that is sold out of country, but you can buy that in Hispanic grocery stores. I have some right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 07:48 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Tang.
i havent had some tang in a while

it use to be very good, if i remember right..

Old 04-11-2014, 08:10 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i havent had some tang in a while

it use to be very good, if i remember right..
Used to be, but they've changed it. Not so good anymore, I don't think.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I didn't really like drinking it. Instead, I'd lick my finger, then dip it into the jar of Tang powder, then lick it off my finger, rinse and repeat til my tongue bled.

Good times!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:13 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
Yeah, I had forgotten that [Tang] for a long time too. But it's still there.

Only if you buy it in a standard grocery store in the US, it most likely has sucralose instead of sugar. They only put sugar in the stuff that is sold out of country, but you can buy that in Hispanic grocery stores. I have some right now.
That was true for a couple of years, but not now.

I got so upset when they changed it, because I don't like artificial sweeteners and it tasted nasty...and it messed up my spiced tea recipe that I got from my Nanny! DD and I love spiced tea. So I had to buy off-brand copycats, which weren't great but were closer to the old Tang than the new. I emailed the manufacturer and complained.

Finally, they changed it back, and I've been able to find the old kind everywhere for about a year. Yay! (Although I've had to cut back on it because of the citric acid....causes reflux. *argh*)

Old 04-11-2014, 09:15 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
I didn't really like drinking it. Instead, I'd lick my finger, then dip it into the jar of Tang powder, then lick it off my finger, rinse and repeat til my tongue bled.

Good times!
LOL....well, at least you rinsed between dips!

Sweet Tarts would make your tongue bleed also. Still would, I guess....I don't think I would eat one now if you paid me. Well, maybe I would, for enough pay....

Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post

I got so upset when they changed it, because I don't like artificial sweeteners and it tasted nasty...and it messed up my spiced tea recipe that I got from my Nanny! DD and I love spiced tea. So I had to buy off-
Oh--I remember a spiced tea from the 70s made with Tang! Wasn't it called "Russian Tea" or something like that?

Old 04-11-2014, 09:25 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I remember a product called Ayds. It was a caramel candy intended for dieters. The premise was that you ate one (or two) before a meal and you would eat less and lose weight(?). This was back in the '50s.
It was around in the '70s, too. I remember the ads. It lost favor around 1980, when AIDS was identified. Name didn't help sell the product well after that.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:26 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
What about Ovaltine? Is that still around? I remember being on a kick where I loved that stuff.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What about Ovaltine? Is that still around? I remember being on a kick where I loved that stuff.
I loved Ovaltine and I think it's still around. It's absolutely loaded with sugar though. Back when I used to drink it I wasn't conscious of nutrition but last time I had some I read the label. Maybe one cup per month would be okay--sugar quota for the entire month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink