Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 11:58 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Supervising? It looked more like a buzzard hovering over the kill, ready to pounce. I felt sorry for the guest chefs, some who appeared very nervous. The great lady was just too old at that point.
Be NICE, now!

I just remember her labored breathing coming through the microphone and out of my TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 02:38 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Crisco is still available.
Yes but they changed it. No more flaky pie crust, the crust has a strange flavor and a softer texture like a store bought pie. Not worth all the trouble anymore.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:05 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
woof, mainebrokerman, I wish they would get off of the lean beef kick. Flavorless with hardly a shred of fat anywhere. A 73% beef burger tastes better than some ribeyes I have bought.

hmmmm, what for breakfast, now I'm hungry!
ccc you are right,,,need some fat for flavor!!

the nutritional nellies, scared all the soccer moms 20 years ago, that meat/fat was bad, bad, bad,

although, i have to say, with the most recent studies saying meat isnt as bad as they pegged it to be (fresh meats)
im encouraged to see more younger folks on a high protein , low carb diet- similar to atkins years ago, but not as strict.
and i think when the younger generation are finally on their own,,they are eating what they like,,,,and im also seeing young women step up and ask for fresh steaks,,, young girls, for a couple decades were the ewww & ick crowd, proudly saying they dont eat meat- maybe this is rebellion,,

when the nutritional nellies have targeted such a wide variety of foods that will kill you,,,alot of folks throw up their hands and say., i may as well eat what i enjoy,,it sounds like everything is going to kill us..

also, two new employees, where i work said this last week-they work in a grocery store

omg, i never knew there was sooooo much good food , i see something new everyday i want to try!!
"my family was so strict on what we ate" and they moralised/preached so much, that now that im on my own, i want to try all these things i couldnt have, and one of these foods is meats, omg i had a cheeseburger last night that was one of the best things i ever ate" tomorrow night im having a steak"

Old 04-12-2014, 03:54 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
woof, mainebrokerman, I wish they would get off of the lean beef kick. Flavorless with hardly a shred of fat anywhere. A 73% beef burger tastes better than some ribeyes I have bought.

hmmmm, what for breakfast, now I'm hungry!
I usually only cook fatty (marbled) beef, but there is one way to make lean beef taste good, and that is low-temp baking. Take a roast and salt, pepper it heavily (optional, but it tastes great). Now simply pop it in the oven at 185f for a few hours, maybe 3-5 depending on the size. Slice it 1/4" for the dinner plate, and shave it for sandwiches.

That's basically how they make deli roast beef which is also brined.

Some people are afraid of low temp baking, but it's quite safe as long as you roast it for several hours so that the core temp is 170 or higher.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:05 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Yes but they changed it. No more flaky pie crust, the crust has a strange flavor and a softer texture like a store bought pie. Not worth all the trouble anymore.
Changed it how? I never make pie crusts ...

Old 04-12-2014, 06:17 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Changed it how? I never make pie crusts ...
They changed the oils they use to make it, and nearly eliminated the trans fats.

I always make my pie crusts with lard, though, and wouldn't buy Crisco on a bet. Yuck. So I have no dog in this fight.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:45 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Roquefort salad and green goddess salad dressings. The first was a type of blue cheese. The second, a green dressing made with herbs. I loved them both, but now days we use oil and vinegar.

Also, I don't see either of those around much.

Another thing I remember in those little glass jars of cheese spread made by Kraft. You could use them as juice glasses afterwards. My favorite had pimiento in it. I liked it on Triscuits or celery sticks.
Kraft still makes Old English Cheese spread in those little jars. I use it to make a favorite appetizer, Shrimp Puffs.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:50 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I just remembered....did anyone else eat the raw cake mixes that came with your EZ Bake Oven? That stuff was good.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:27 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just remembered....did anyone else eat the raw cake mixes that came with your EZ Bake Oven? That stuff was good.
Lol--I can still remember the taste--it's been at least 40-50 years!

Old 04-13-2014, 02:31 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I remember this and a snow cone machine.

Some other things that I am not sure if they are still around
Planters cheese balls
Pb Maxx it was a cookie/candy
Twix with regular cookie and peanut butter
Bubble tape and Big League Chew gum
Ring pops
Suddenly Smore's which were microwavable and pre made.
One an awhile for breakfast my mom would take me to Mcdonald's and they had these cinnamon Danish that I liked.

I had the worst diet growing up. Thank goodness for major growth spurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink