Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times

Advertisements

I've seen every diet theory and fad overturned during my life, sometimes more than once. The human body and its interactions with foods are so complex, have so many variables, that scientists can't make the same sort of strides that are made in simpler sciences such as physics or chemistry. It's not worth changing your lifestyle over, not worth the added expense of buying exotic, supposedly healthy oils.

If it's any comfort, the most long-lived and healthy populations in the world have dramatically different diets. Health and longevity seem to be better correlated with public health and public safety (especially lack of warfare).

Basically, your grandfather who lived on pork chops fried in lard and drank bourbon but lived to be 98, was not a statistical outlier - his food probably had little to do with his longevity (though the amount of it is important, if one gets fat).

I just use the cheapest soy oil now, and olive oil for salads because I like the flavor. My health is not significantly worse from when I used trendy oils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 PM

552 posts, read 1,056,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Proper lard (NOT Crisco or shortening) makes amazing French fries and pastry.

I do actually use certified sustainable and organic palm shortening on rare occasions though as finding real lard without rendering it down yourself can be difficult unless ordering it online around where I live.

As for coconut oil being expensive, yes it can be but a little goes a long way and there are so, so many health benefits and alternative uses for it that I can't imagine not having it in my kitchen (or bathroom for that matter) anymore. Places like Trader Joe's, Costco and BJs etc. (I've even seen it at Walmart) all have it at quite affordable prices.
>I do actually use certified sustainable and organic palm shortening on rare occasions.<

I'm guessing this is the same palm oil known in Africa and Brazil as Red Dende oil. Living in Salvador Bahia two years I had it most days. I heard it was bad for you . . .like damned near anything that was good imo. Later I learned dende oil has 15 times as much beta-carotene as carrots. I like it but seldom use it now. It adds a unique flavor to many Brazilian dishes, particularly Moqueca.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:23 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
>I do actually use certified sustainable and organic palm shortening on rare occasions.<

I'm guessing this is the same palm oil known in Africa and Brazil as Red Dende oil. Living in Salvador Bahia two years I had it most days. I heard it was bad for you . . .like damned near anything that was good imo. Later I learned dende oil has 15 times as much beta-carotene as carrots. I like it but seldom use it now. It adds a unique flavor to many Brazilian dishes, particularly Moqueca.
Palm oil is a combination of saturated and unsaturated fats so depending on who you listen to, they'll say it's bad because it is a saturated fat. As long as it isn't hydrogenated, I have no qualms using it in small doses when I need shortening and don't have any lard.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 PM

726 posts, read 1,368,320 times
Quote:

Doesn't palm oil has some of the same health attributes as coconut oil? I know there's palm kernel oil and red palm oil but need to learn all the differences.... anyone here care to educate me? :-)

Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Palm oil is a combination of saturated and unsaturated fats so depending on who you listen to, they'll say it's bad because it is a saturated fat. As long as it isn't hydrogenated, I have no qualms using it in small doses when I need shortening and don't have any lard.
I'm guessing you're talking leaf lard being hard to find in your area. Like you, I have no qualms with a high quality leaf lard. Leaf lard is the purest animal fat available and the smoke point is the same as olive oil ~375º F. I don't consume too much high fat food but when I do I want taste, texture, and flavor.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:12 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you're talking leaf lard being hard to find in your area. Like you, I have no qualms with a high quality leaf lard. Leaf lard is the purest animal fat available and the smoke point is the same as olive oil ~375º F. I don't consume too much high fat food but when I do I want taste, texture, and flavor.
Yep, the 'good stuff.'

I actually love using duck fat to cook onions in. They brown up so nicely.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I use Grapeseed oil for frying and Olive oil for everything else.
Same here.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Doesn't palm oil has some of the same health attributes as coconut oil? I know there's palm kernel oil and red palm oil but need to learn all the differences.... anyone here care to educate me? :-)
Found this bit: Flavors of Brazil: INGREDIENTS - Dendê Oil (Azeite-de-dendê)

Old 05-02-2014, 09:58 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
One important thing that many folks don't realize or mention is that when frying or medium heat cooking. Picking the right oil is important so that your oil doesn't burn out too quickly and causes your food to lose moisture and burn. This causes more carcinogens in your food.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:25 PM

726 posts, read 1,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
One important thing that many folks don't realize or mention is that when frying or medium heat cooking. Picking the right oil is important so that your oil doesn't burn out too quickly and causes your food to lose moisture and burn. This causes more carcinogens in your food.
It also creates trans fat which of course equals BAD, BAD, BAD!

This is also why "refined" oils like refined coconut oil aren't good... when they "refine" them, they heat them to temperatures that creates trans fats. Same thing when they "deodorize" canola oil. There was a study conducted by a research scientist at a university (I want to say in Florida if I remember correctly) where they tested canola oil from various grocery stores for trans fat. It all had trans fat! due to how it is processed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink