Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:45 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times

Advertisements

Eat clean.

You can eat rice, just don't eat prepared rice out of a box.

Don't eat anything that comes out of a can with more than two ingredients.

Eat proteins, beans, legumes, veggies, fruit and dairy.

I only now cook with real butter or olive oil.

I eat organic if it is dairy or comes out of the ground.

No processed sugar.

I gave up cokes and diet cokes.

Switched to gin because it has no sugar and I love a dirty martini.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 12:24 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Switched to gin because it has no sugar and I love a dirty martini.

I think I'll just go on a gin diet....

Old 06-02-2014, 01:00 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I eat ultra Low carbs...and I feel great!!!!
That is how I judge something.
(That "Epilogue" at the end of Protein Power did it for me...so
revealing about our ancestors! Sit and read it in a bookstore someday, wow.
That will explain best why no carbs.).

Ha, I even buy 0 carb heavy cream and dilute it with water
for my tea and coffee, that is extreme...but hey, I miss a ton of carbs everyday!
I eat apples mostly bec other fruit just doesn't interest me.
No potatoes or corn or flour products or sugar ever.
I eat some beans occassionally, but why? (Bec I think I "should") Too much gas...I can get fiber
from all my green veggies.
I have about 2 'deck of cards " of any meat, and an org egg for breakfast with piles
of spinach and mushr and leeks. Never toast for years now.

I know I didn't tell you the 'deal' with carbs...but I feel so great....tried and true...and
my weight stays steady.

I tell fat friends complaining of their weight for years...'Please just do this for 2 weeks..."
Then, eat all the pasta, pizza and pastries you want for a couple days (like they usually do)
...simply see how you feeeeeeell.
Awesome idea on the heavy cream - I'm going to do that.

I agree with you 1000%. I do low carb as well and it has been phenomenal for me. I'm vegetarian too which means I have to rely a lot on dairy for protein, but I've found a diet that works for me. I avoid fruit except berries, which are the best for you anyway, and occasionally an apple. I consume lots of oils - coconut, olive, safflower, grapeseed. Lots and lots of veggies. Seems a lot of people think veggies are high in carbs. Technically yes some are but quite often when you factor out fiber, it's not that much. Besides potatoes and other root veggies, most of them really aren't high in net carbs. I also eat a lot of tree nuts - everything - almonds, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, peanuts.

Protein wise, wheat gluten, a small amount of soy, whey based protein (powder, cottage cheese, etc.), and eggs make up the bulk of my protein and I've had no problem getting enough of it.

I sometimes do "cheat days" and eat carbs like pasta and bread, especially when I'm lifting weights to replace lost glycogen in my muscles, but my body has become so accustomed to a low carb diet that I usually feel terrible for about a day afterward, and I find myself wanting to eat carbs less and less.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:21 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
read 'the Naive Vegetearian' by Barry Groves and you will find out why carbs have only been a part of the human diet for the last nine thousand years. We've been around over a hundred thousand years and did quite well before carbs. JMHO.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Here's what you do. First remember that we are individuals, with unique genetic make-up. Then, think of the Bell Curve, with vegan on one extreme end and carnivore (not omnivore) on the other.

Some people will do very well with a vegan diet - they are at one end of the Bell Curve. Others will do very well on a pretty much all meat diet (think Inuits). Most people will fall somewhere in the middle. I, myself, fall towards the carnivore end of the curve, but not all meat, just a diet heavily towards animal protein is what keeps my body healthiest. I've tried vegetarian, a couple of times, and even with the most balanced diet (I'm a compulsive researcher), I get sick as a dog. I've tried several of the "healthy diet du jours" over the years and don't do well on them. Finally I decided to stop trying to eat what other people told me should be good for me and to eat what my own body told me works, and let others do likewise, not thinking that their bodies should react exactly like mine, and that's what I recommend. Remembering that it may take a few weeks for your body to adjust if you make an abrupt change (which I don't recommend - gradual change is best) so you won't know for sure how it works for you right away - no immediate gratification!

Oh, and beans are NOT a complete protein.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I find I feel heavy after even one slice of pizza, let alone TWO thin crusts.
Also, eat a carb (bread, pasta), want a carb...I say.

I like a vegetarian diet...but I get like my friends...circles under their eyes,more colds,
weak, get cold easily....I have talked all three of them to please increase their
DAILY intake of complete protein...they did with protein powder and 2 of them eat eggs.
They ALL said they see a difference.

I watch them and they often eat just beans...no form of grain to make a complete protein.

Thank you I forgot to eat berries and I do like them.
(Btw, I get the least sick of anyone I know....friends of 35 years know this...as in
2xs flu bec of people exposing me blatantly, 3 colds for same reason...kissing sick kids that
I wasn't warned not to....in 37 years, say....)

My veggie friends get 3 colds a year and most last for 2 months and make them bedridden.
My obese 3 friends are sick, I think more than not....sorry I digressed...its just they
eat SO many carbs....I watch them at meals...it is scary....I met one on his break...he was
eating pastry and drinking a coke...he is 70 lbs overweight.
Oh well. A little venting....

Old 06-02-2014, 01:42 PM

103 posts, read 129,083 times
Eliminating dairy, grains, processed carbs, and non-organic/grass-fed meats have done wonders for me. Of course I occasionally have something on that list, but I can tell the difference after.

As mentioned, everyone is different. Start by eliminating one group on your list at a time for a month, and see how your body reacts. Also remember to regular your stomach bacteria to properly absorb nutrients.

Good luck

Old 06-02-2014, 01:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
read 'the Naive Vegetearian' by Barry Groves and you will find out why carbs have only been a part of the human diet for the last nine thousand years. We've been around over a hundred thousand years and did quite well before carbs. JMHO.
I WILL...never heard of it, thank you ....I was thinking we got into carbs...grains, bread
later....I hadn't realised it was that long...9000 yrs is nothing....our bodies are not
used to carbs yet....and these processed carbs are killing us, period,
from what I can tell, I mean.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I like the moderation and common sense diet.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:46 PM

534 posts, read 1,533,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I find I feel heavy after even one slice of pizza, let alone TWO thin crusts.
Also, eat a carb (bread, pasta), want a carb...I say.

I like a vegetarian diet...but I get like my friends...circles under their eyes,more colds,
weak, get cold easily....I have talked all three of them to please increase their
DAILY intake of complete protein...they did with protein powder and 2 of them eat eggs.
They ALL said they see a difference.

I watch them and they often eat just beans...no form of grain to make a complete protein.

Thank you I forgot to eat berries and I do like them.
(Btw, I get the least sick of anyone I know....friends of 35 years know this...as in
2xs flu bec of people exposing me blatantly, 3 colds for same reason...kissing sick kids that
I wasn't warned not to....in 37 years, say....)

My veggie friends get 3 colds a year and most last for 2 months and make them bedridden.
My obese 3 friends are sick, I think more than not....sorry I digressed...its just they
eat SO many carbs....I watch them at meals...it is scary....I met one on his break...he was
eating pastry and drinking a coke...he is 70 lbs overweight.
Oh well. A little venting....
We are all so different!

I eat a low-carb, vegetarian way.

I am so much healthier. No colds. No flu/viruses. FOR YEARS. I have much more energy and am so much healthier than the omnivores I live with.

You can be a veg and eat unhealthily. Sugar and carb addiction are real problems for many obese people. I was one of those people. I now eat whole foods, not processed foods, as much as I can. I'm truly allergic to wheat, so no seitan or processed wheat-meat/gluten for me. My carbs are mostly legumes, protein is mostly legumes, a little bit of tofu/tempeh, a little bit of dairy (greek yogurt/cottage cheese/cheese), a little bit of eggs, and vegan protein shakes to supplement only when needed. I am sure to get at least 70 gms protein/day, per my doctor's direction.

I go for low-glycemic veggies and fruit as much as possible, but I do "cheat" occasionally with some higher-carb fruit for dessert. I love my way of eating and I am not deprived. I have been veg for 8 years; I lost 45 pounds going veg.

We are all different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink