Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:30 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We lived next door to a family from Viet Nam, and they buried eggs in their garden. Occasionally they would dig up one of the now black eggs and eat them, some sort of delicacy to them.
No no no no! Don't tell them that. Those are Century Eggs and they aren't just boiled and buried. There is a whole process that goes into making those edible like treating them with lye and wrapping them in clay (or burying them) to prevent air infiltration. It takes weeks. That's like saying it's ok to eat raw meat because you saw someone just open the plastic on beef jerky and pop them in their mouth.

That being said eggs are like $2. Throw them in the trash and start over. It's not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 11:28 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
I got HORRIBLY sick off of a boiled egg that had only been out for a few hours. I threw up the first day of my new job (it was in college and the job was at a call center - not the WORST thing in the world, LOL). What caused all that, but yet some eggs are okay to eat days later?

Also, I have another question: I have some fresh eggs with a "Sell By" date of ay 27th. It is now June 20th. Are they okay to eat?

Old 06-20-2014, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Made hard boiled eggs last night around midnight. Put them in cold water. Went to bed, forgetting all about them. It's 8:30 a.m. Keep or not?
they will be fine. Heck, think about the kids and Easter egg hunts when they use real eggs. One thing about spoiled eggs you know it as soon as you peel them.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:34 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
I'd keep them if I were you.. but considering how cheap eggs are and how easy it is to boil more, I wouldn't consider it a waste if you decide to throw them out.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:15 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I would have thrown them out. The FDA website says hard boiled eggs should be put in the fridge within 2 hours. Easter eggs are fine for a few days as decoration, but does anyone really eat those eggs later? I have probably thrown away a lot of things that would have been fine, but I'd rather be safe than sorry later.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:34 AM

487 posts, read 748,094 times
I've eaten many a colorful Easter egg that's been left out longer than just overnight. Not a problem in the world.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:11 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
The eggs are fine. In England eggs are sold from the store shelves, not a refrigerated case.

^^^^^This. There is no reason to believe everything must be refrigerated simply because it's printed on the label. I don't refrigerate strawberry preserves, mustard or some other things though the label says "refrigerate after opening".

Marketers have sold Americans ideas that don't always hold true - concerning most things.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:15 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Those are RAW eggs. Raw eggs are fine unrefrigerated because they're alive. A cooked egg is not and isn't safe after a few hours, just like meats
Well either everyone else is wrong, or I've got a stomach of steel!

Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Com'on folks, they use to have hard boiled eggs in a jar in a lot of bars, they sat there for weeks and were still good. A fun thing to do with a hard boiled egg though is to put it aside for a month or two. Keep shaking it and when you don't hear any movement inside of it, you have the world's stinkiest stink bomb. It will make you eyes water !!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Those are RAW eggs. Raw eggs are fine unrefrigerated because they're alive. A cooked egg is not and isn't safe after a few hours, just like meats
You mean you never hid Easter Eggs for an Easter egg hunt or hunted them? I am sure, leaving them hard boiled eggs in the kitchen in or on the sink overnight isn't going to make anyone sick.

When I see statements like yours, I wonder what you would have done if you had been growing up in the 50s or before? Heck most of us had to leave a lot of stuff on the kitchen counter, our refrigerators were too small to hold much of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink