Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 11:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Easter eggs are fine for a few days as decoration, but does anyone really eat those eggs later?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 11:17 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Com'on folks, they use to have hard boiled eggs in a jar in a lot of bars, they sat there for weeks and were still good. A fun thing to do with a hard boiled egg though is to put it aside for a month or two. Keep shaking it and when you don't hear any movement inside of it, you have the world's stinkiest stink bomb. It will make you eyes water !!
Weren't those pickled?

Old 06-20-2014, 11:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Com'on folks, they use to have hard boiled eggs in a jar in a lot of bars, they sat there for weeks and were still good.
These are pickled eggs. They're preserved in brine and/or vinegar. Slightly different, from a shelf life perspective.

Quote:
A fun thing to do with a hard boiled egg though is to put it aside for a month or two. Keep shaking it and when you don't hear any movement inside of it, you have the world's stinkiest stink bomb. It will make you eyes water !!
We inadvertently did this when, as kids, one Easter egg was hidden too well to be found again. When it was eventually found a couple of months later, it was simply all desiccated inside by that point. No stink bomb effect at all.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:07 PM

487 posts, read 749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Those are RAW eggs. Raw eggs are fine unrefrigerated because they're alive. A cooked egg is not and isn't safe after a few hours, just like meats
How is a raw egg alive???

Old 06-20-2014, 12:41 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,447,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm not following. What do you mean "they're alive"?
The cells in them are alive. Unless not being fertilized means there are no living animal cells in them

Old 06-20-2014, 12:56 PM

171 posts, read 327,151 times
Almost lost my 5 year old from friend's boiled Easter eggs left out overnight. Seems bacteria found it's way into the eggs, grew overnight, became Salmonella like. After the Easter Egg hunt, she spent 6 hours in and out of a coma. Was horrible - vomiting, bleeding and hemorrhaging. Hospital said probably bacteria from under fingernails. I will never forget them cutting her beautiful little Easter dress off her in the emergency room, and working to put IV's in her neck and leg.

To me, it's never worth keeping "if in doubt, throw it out".

Old 06-20-2014, 04:45 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,059,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Weren't those pickled?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
These are pickled eggs. They're preserved in brine and/or vinegar. Slightly different, from a shelf life perspective.

We inadvertently did this when, as kids, one Easter egg was hidden too well to be found again. When it was eventually found a couple of months later, it was simply all desiccated inside by that point. No stink bomb effect at all.
You're right, I believe they were pickled, it's been a long time since I was in a bar that had them. The stink bombs don't always work but they do more often than not.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:17 PM

124 posts, read 186,416 times
Default Hard-Boiled Eggs-How long do they keep?

How long do hard-boiled eggs (minus the shells) keep? I eat them as snacks when I'm at work, and keep them in a Ziploc bag in a refrigerator after work. If I don't eat them all, how long should I keep them before having to pitch them?

Old 11-13-2014, 06:41 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
A week in the fridge maybe two if you keep them in the shell and your fridge below 40deg.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:03 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,221,356 times
Default Hard boiled eggs unrefrigerated

I’ve looked up how long hard boiled eggs can be left unrefrigerated, unpeeled.

One guy was a food scientist that said a week. Then America Cooks said 2 hours. So many answers.

Lots of people never refrigerate even raw eggs. Anyone?

Last edited by Kayekaye; 06-12-2021 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink