Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 10:35 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,156,664 times

Advertisements

Cottage cheese... taste and texture.... is the most God-awful stuff I have ever put in my mouth. But my mom just loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 10:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The moist sounds when swirling the cold noodles with a fork ...

I smiled only because that's fam's favorite sound, they call it squidge squidge and a sign that the food is good and reduced enough. (They don't like soupy/watery food and like it reduced thoroughly)

Old 07-18-2015, 10:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I smiled only because that's fam's favorite sound, they call it squidge squidge and a sign that the food is good and reduced enough. (They don't like soupy/watery food and like it reduced thoroughly)
I don't mind cold sesame noodles, tahini noodles, peanut butter noodles, pesto, clam sauce ... just cold spaghetti with red sauce. I think I just associate it with eating leftovers as a kid and not liking leftover red spaghetti. If I have any leftovers now, I will put them in Tupperware but dish yourselves up after that. I'm not touching it!

Old 07-18-2015, 03:00 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Leftover spaghetti with red sauce can make me gag. The moist sounds when swirling the cold noodles with a fork ... ugh. Shiver. Mealy oatmeal will get me too. I don't like things that have the mouthfeel of something I've already chewed up. I don't care for bananas (squishy) but will tolerate them sliced, and I like banana flavor (banana Lifesavers are the best).

I used to hate the consistency of avocados and sweet potatoes, but they are OK now.
While we're on the subject of leftover spaghetti, has anyone else noticed that leftover hamburger, especially hamburger that's in spaghetti, develops this nasty aftertaste the day after that it doesn't have as soon as it came off the stove? I can't describe that yucky flavor, but I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about. Maybe it's the leftover food equivalent of morning breath I don't know how leftover pasta being stored with the hamburger can make aftertaste particularly pungent, but somehow it does.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:48 PM

26,429 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Beats

Old 07-18-2015, 04:19 PM

7,110 posts, read 4,830,642 times
I want to say slimy, such as uncooked or very undercooked egg whites, but it's more of a dislike rather than an aversion. I'd eat it if there were no other choice.

And I love raw oysters and raw clams, and I DO chew them, don't just slurp em down whole.

Nope, I honestly can't think of any food that I won't eat due to it's texture.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:20 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I like oysters and clams, but cannot eat truly slimy, like uncooked egg whites or sea urchin. That sea urchin is a real gagger!
I love sea urchin!

And as for the slimy comments about some foods, I also love natto, which is extremely nutritious, fermented soybeans. Once you stir it up with some green onions and soy sauce, it gets slimy, but I like it anyway.

Bring it on! (I'll still pass on the okra, though).

Old 07-19-2015, 05:24 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Cottage cheese... taste and texture.... is the most God-awful stuff I have ever put in my mouth. But my mom just loved it.
This just reminded me that my mother used to eat cottage cheese with canned fruit and its syrup poured over. I couldn't watch her eat it. While I don't care for cottage cheese, I don't loathe it, but that sloppy mess on her plate made me want to gag.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:26 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Has anyone noticed that romaine lettuce texture (we buy organic) is much harder, more ridges, more leaflike or something, than it used to be? We can't find any decent, tender romaine anymore anywhere.

(So mostly we're getting butter lettuce, but I want some good romaine, too.) Please help!

Old 07-19-2015, 05:30 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
I have an aversion to dealing with foods that still have bones when they're prepared. It seems too "wild' to still be in that state (as if I just shot the chicken and am eating it right then and there ), and that just generally grosses me out. I also hate looking at a plate of bones after I've finished eating something with them (or hate looking at someone else's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink