Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:39 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

People are very passionate about their sodas. Apparently.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:54 AM

588 posts, read 1,015,125 times
What's really funny is thinking that you are getting any kind of deal paying $2 for 5 cents of syrup and some carbonated water. If you are concerned about this, the correct response is to just stop buying it at all. If not, congrats on that great deal you scored by not putting any ice in your cup!

Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Actually, I have found that room temperature beer (REAL beer, not the soft drink served in the U.S.) is quite good, especially when mixed 50/50 with a good, dry, homemade wine!
However, while in Vietnam, I learned to drink beer with ice in it. Not bad at all on a hot day!
You mean you let someone displace your beer with ice? What a waste of money.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
What's really funny is thinking that you are getting any kind of deal paying $2 for 5 cents of syrup and some carbonated water. If you are concerned about this, the correct response is to just stop buying it at all. If not, congrats on that great deal you scored by not putting any ice in your cup!
Exactly. If you're pinching pennies on the ice front, you have to know that a jet of carbonated water with a little syrup is generally a massive overcharge, anyway.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:01 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
I think they probably just want it with lots of ice.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:06 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I do it because I think soda tastes too strong, too sweet. I do not drink it much but when I do I like the ice to water it down. I do the same when I pour for my kids. That way they can have soda but not too much. Maybe this is faulty logic but it makes me feel better about letting them have it.
Me, too.

And who needs that much soda anyway? Cups just keep getting bigger and bigger. Even a small isn't small. It's a false economy to say you're wasting money if you don't drink the 16oz worth of soda you paid for. 8oz of your average soda has 100 calories and 28 grams of sugar. That's plenty for one day. This country is obese, remember?

Plus, I don't find the soda as it comes out of the machine to be cold at all. I like my soda REALLY COLD.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:14 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I find it ridiculous that somebody sued Starbucks because they felt their latte was an ounce or so short, yet they will fill their cup with ice and get 1/4 the soda they paid for!
Think of all the people who didn't sue Starbucks. They're the ones putting ice in their cups.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:15 PM

684 posts, read 514,833 times
Its the fountains that dispense the ice which are programmed / calibrated to unload a lot of ice at once, thus automatically filling a persons cup. The conspiracy is that if there is a large ice dump into the cup the cup is then filled with ice and there is less space for soda. Ice is cheaper than soda and the fact if you look at almost any fountain machine you'll notice a pile of ice under the ice dispenser where people have to actually pour out some of the ice in their glass.

Business that have these soda fountains and especially free refills want their customers cups full of ice because its better for their bottom line.

Let me just add that even having a conversation about how much ice is in the next persons cup falls under the heading of "first world problems"

Old 03-23-2016, 01:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Lets talk ice.

I am a former big time Pepsi drinker. I say former for the following reasons.

Many sit down places offer you a 20 ounce glass. Lets start with that. 20 ounces of Pepsi has 240 calories. (and it is about the same for any of the other regular non diet drinks)

Fast food places like McDonald's offer the $1 drink option, meaning most of America is going to get a 32 ounce drink.

If you sit down in one of these places, and chances are if you are concerned about how much ice someone is getting at the fountain then you are eating in, you will probably drink your soda and refill it at least one time, many will top it off to get all that extra sugary goodness. McDonalds serves coke and the biggest cup their is 32 ounces. Fill it up one time and that is 272 calories, if they fill it up. Take it to a machine yourself and fill it up with just the drink, no ice, and you probably have more than the 272 calories sitting in your cup. Refill and you could potentially be looking at 544 calories just from the drink.

Filling up with ice cuts the calorie count a little.

The best thing is to just eat the food and drink water.

Back in the 40s maybe, Pepsi had an advertisement that read: "Pepsi, Twice as nice over Ice" I am a complete believer in that idea. Pepsi to me has to have the correct amount of ice to drink ratio. Without it the taste just is not right. I can pour you at least 4 different combinations of Pepsi with Ice on down to without ice and the flavor will be slightly different.

On top of that I like it Ice Cold. I prefer Pepsi from a can over a bottle or a fountain. I want the Pepsi as cold as it can be prior to pouring it into a glass. Pepsi must always be poured into a glass. I prefer a full glass of ice to pour the Pepsi into.

Although they are all former Pepsico fast food places, and still serve Pepsi, KFC serves their drink with less syrup and more carbonated water than Taco Bell. I could never finish a Pepsi from KFC. It never tasted good to me and upset my stomach. Then again maybe it was the food. LOL

I still drink the occasional Pepsi if we are having a party or something. For the most part I only drink water now.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 03-23-2016 at 01:22 PM..

Old 03-23-2016, 01:09 PM

How is positing how many calories you personally feel are best for others to choose to consume any less asinine than telling people they shouldn't, in your opinion, be spending their money on ice?

Personal choice, yo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink