Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:28 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,561,614 times

Advertisements

I specifically go inside fast food places to ensure that I don't get "over-iced." I'm well aware that the more ice, the less soda and it makes me so mad if I go through a drive-thru and they give me this soda that is really just a whole bunch of ice and a little bit of soda!

I thought this thread was gonna be about sip stealers. I'm one of those too lol.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:49 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
...fill their cups completely full of ice?
Is it so difficult to understand that ice takes up space, and that space (volume) is no longer available to fill with soda?
Not to mention the fact that ice melts, diluting the soda!
The soda coming out of the dispenser is cold, so actually ice isn't really needed anyway, unless, of course, you feel it will take you a very long time to finish your drink.
When I buy soda, whether at a self serve fountain or otherwise, I don't want any ice. I am spending $1 or more for that cup of soda, and I want full value.
I find it ridiculous that somebody sued Starbucks because they felt their latte was an ounce or so short, yet they will fill their cup with ice and get 1/4 the soda they paid for!
I too think that in the USA too much ice is put drinks. But it seems like most of the American population accept that. I too request no ice in drinks but I don't use ice at home either.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Do you lose sleep at night over this?

Did you ever think that some people like ice?

Old 03-24-2016, 01:56 PM

455 posts, read 464,161 times
Quote:
Is it so difficult to understand that ice takes up space, and that space (volume) is no longer available to fill with soda?
The soda coming out of the dispenser is cold, so actually ice isn't really needed anyway, unless, of course, you feel it will take you a very long time to finish your drink.
When I buy soda, whether at a self serve fountain or otherwise, I don't want any ice. I am spending $1 or more for that cup of soda, and I want full value.
I find it ridiculous that somebody sued Starbucks because they felt their latte was an ounce or so short, yet they will fill their cup with ice and get 1/4 the soda they paid for!
Answer: Different strokes for different folks!

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
After reading the posts and thinking about my own life changes I looked up a few interesting stories on drink sizes.

In 1955 McDonalds offered a 7 ounce Coke with the meal. The Fries came in one size only, 2.4 ounce and that was smaller than the kids size fries offered today. That was the only size drink and the only size fries. A regular large fries today is 6.7 ounces.

When I was a kid the biggest fountain drink was 20 ounces. You could still get 8 ounce drinks and a can of soda or popp if you prefer was a large drink for most.

In the 1980's places like 7 11 started offering the Big Gulp and drinks like it. The biggest Big Gulp back in the early 1980's was a 32 ounce fountain drink and when I was in high school we thought that was gigantic. Most of us still picked up a 20 ouncer or less because the 32 ounce drink looked too big. You could get a 12 ounce cup back then.

Today a 44 ounce drink is standard size at the local Circle K, 7-11, and almost all the other small format stores that I see around here. Some places sell a 120+ ounce drink and KFC had a gallon bucket that you could order.

The average stomach holds about 28 to 29 ounces.
It is ridiculous! With or without ice.

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
...Did you ever think that some people like ice?
I love that snowy ice that Sonic Drive-In uses.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:52 PM

96 posts, read 112,926 times
I doubt that most people give the amount of ice in their cup very much thought at all. If it's a self serve fountain, they can get a refill if they want more. If the concern is value, a value conscious person might not pay for the soda at all, and instead get a free water cup. The only place where I regularly get a soda from the fountain anymore is Costco. The hot dog combo is $1.50 and the pizza combo is $2-$3, so cost isn't really a concern. I don't drink a lot of soda, so sometimes, a cup full of ice with soda is still more soda than I want to drink.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:56 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times
Quote:

Because they like ice . . . duh. Especially the little crunchy cubes. :-) Maybe they don't want 32 oz. of drink. Maybe they just want 16-20, and the rest of it ice that they can enjoy. I've asked for extra ice sometimes at restaurants. Who cares? I'm getting free refills. When you pay a $1 for a fountain drink, it's for the ice AND the soda. If someone likes more ice than you, what earthly difference does it make?

What I never understood is why someone would pay extra for an extra-large drink when they are eating in the restaurant where free refills are available -- I mean, so I might have to go get refills an extra time, if I'm drinking a lot. Why not just pay for a small and refill as needed?

Let's face it, at $1, for something that costs the company about $.07 a serving, we're not exactly talking "value" here. :-)

Old 03-24-2016, 06:42 PM

275 posts, read 252,586 times
Quote:
I don't do this when I am getting it to go, as it does dilute and I do get less soda...however, if I am dining in, I want enough ice in my cup to, as I have been known to say, qualify as an iceberg.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,617 times
This is going to blow your mind, but some times I go into AM / PM on a hot summer day and buy a mega cup of just crushed ice. Its worth every penny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink