Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times

Advertisements

Most self serve soda is free refills unless there's a sign that says otherwise.

I use a bit of ice but I also dilute my soda with selter/soda water whenever possible to reduce my sugar. Same with my sweet tea.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:07 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Because they like ice?

And, because if it's a self-serve fountain, they can refill it as many times as they like If they're still thirsty?
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:11 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
1) I like the drinks ice cold (as close to freezing as possible), not out of the tap cold
2) Sweet Tea sits in an un-refrigerated container in the dining room, if it was freshly made will be hotter than room temperature (because you need to melt the sugar) and if a few hours old, will be room temperature - so definitely needs ice cubes to become a cold drink. [Ice Tea from a soda fountain is not ice tea - all of us living below the mason dixon line understand this]
3) Surface tension of the ice cubes keeps the drink from spilling if you don't use a lid.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:13 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
...3) Surface tension of the ice cubes keeps the drink from spilling if you don't use a lid.
Say WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???

Old 03-23-2016, 10:33 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Who knows, perhaps there will be one or two people out there who will say to themselves "I never thought of it that way, maybe I will cut back or eliminate the ice and get more for my money!"
If so, I have performed a public service.
uh-huh.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:07 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Because it's there damnit!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:39 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,058 times
I try not to drink soda often, because it conflicts with diet/health/fitness goals I have (1),
but when I do
I actually prefer the taste of slightly diluted soda, from a fountain with lots of ice. 'Straight from the can' concentration really tastes like 'syrup' to me. And Pepsi is worse than Coke, as a poster above alluded to.

If you are really concerned about the maximum 'value' for your dining dollar might I suggest asking for a FREE cup for water? sin hielo, or con hielo, or something in between, its your choice because we live in a Free Country.

(1) = 140 cal per can, 12 pack a week, 50 weeks of the year (best case scenario) = 84,000 calories. Imagine being able to cut 84,000 calories from a year-long diet plan, just by training yourself to default to water instead of soda, with every meal.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:54 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Because they like ice.

AAAGGGHHHH!!! I JUST ANSWERED ANOTHER STUPID QUESTION!!!! *runs over to cliff and jumps*

Old 03-24-2016, 07:04 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Do you stay in a hotel until check-out time? Do you read every last story in a newspaper? Do you wait until the last minute to return a rental car? Do you watch your cable television every waking hour? That's your 'logic' there.
Beautiful! Just beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I find it ridiculous that you care what anyone else does at the soda fountain, and I find it laughably inane that what one person does regarding Starbucks has anything at all to do with what the person in front of you at the soda fountain is doing. Because it doesn't. In any way.
Yes! I find it so funny in a bemused sort of way when posters on here and people in real life assume all "people" in the abstract are the same "people"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Once I went to Applebee's and ordered a Margarita. I asked for 1 inch of ice. It was served in a mug. The server brought a half filled mug - maybe less than half filled. It looked pretty bad - like a drink that was half done. The bartender told the server that usually it's filled with ice so since I wanted less ice that I get the mug only half filled because they weren't going to give me 'extra' margarita for the same price.
Makes sense.

After reading through this very silly thread, I have my own myopic ponderings:

Why would anyone value a $1 over their own health? Yikes. Coca-cola is one of my guilty pleasures, but I wouldn't want to overdo it to the point where I tell myself that actually consuming 32oz of high-calorie soda is a better "value" than drinking a moderate amount. Soda consumption is a lot like smoking: there's really no good excuse. If I'm doing something bad for myself, I'm going to try to limit it as much as possible.

Secondly, if one is so concerned about $1 for a completely unnecessary item, they might want to look into drinking water and cooking more meals at home.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-26-2016 at 06:03 AM..

Old 03-24-2016, 08:21 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
...fill their cups completely full of ice?
Is it so difficult to understand that ice takes up space, and that space (volume) is no longer available to fill with soda?
Not to mention the fact that ice melts, diluting the soda!
The soda coming out of the dispenser is cold, so actually ice isn't really needed anyway, unless, of course, you feel it will take you a very long time to finish your drink.
When I buy soda, whether at a self serve fountain or otherwise, I don't want any ice. I am spending $1 or more for that cup of soda, and I want full value.
I find it ridiculous that somebody sued Starbucks because they felt their latte was an ounce or so short, yet they will fill their cup with ice and get 1/4 the soda they paid for!
Ah. So that's what the thread is about. Why the customers sued Starbucks and the differences between that and filling a Coke with ice:

A. The customer is CHOOSING to fill/not fill the cup with ice. In the Starbucks case, the barista is the one choosing to fill/not fill the cup.

B. When a customer puts ice in the cup, he/she is aware of how much ice in the cup. In the Starbucks case, he/she was not aware of how much coffee the barista was putting in the cup, since the foam blocked the customer's view of its fullness.

C. A Coke costs about $2.00. A Starbucks latte costs about $4-$5.

D. Starbucks allegedly did this to hundreds of thousands of customers over a period of years, thus making millions of dollars it did not deserve. When I fill my cup with ice, I decide for myself that ice is more important to me than Coke. I am not deceiving myself; I make a conscious decision to put more frozen H2O than Coke in my cup, thus allowing the business to make more money on my purchase. Starbucks customers were not offered such a choice; they were possibly lied to and deceived. The courts will decide if it is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink