Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 06:27 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times

Advertisements

Red peppers in particular are very healthy - not to mention 'pretty'/add to the look of a dish without generally overpowering it - so I use them as often as I can when cooking. I am not a big green pepper lover however so I don't cook often with that colour - they do taste more bitter as well than when allowed to go yellow/orange or red first, but I will eat them.

I also like spicy foods, thai in particular, so I often add fresh chili peppers to a dish but not many of them - they can be avoided for the most part especially if put in whole or removed at the end of cooking since they aren't usually consumed anyway unless cut into very tiny pieces.

Sorry you are having to deal with what may seem to you a sudden 'trend' to add peppers to every dish and not being able to tolerate them due to gallbladder surgery. For my part, I have been using peppers as often as possible for so many years I didn't even realize there was a new trend there. If I were having you over to the house for dinner, and knew about that issue for you, I would make sure you had something sans peppers to eat for sure. Maybe you could speak up as early as possible if you are invited to any dinner or event where there will be food - and perhaps people will be willing to accommodate you on this one. I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 08:15 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
I love hot peppers but I really don't care for sweet peppers. Sweet peppers are kind of a pointless vegetable. They're healthy for you though - very high in vitamin C and in the case of yellow and red, vitamin A as well.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:18 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I made sauteed red bell peppers last night.

It seems odd that they would bother your stomach. I had my gallbladder out decades ago and nothing bothers me. Bell peppers are so mild.

You may want to check with your doctor.

I asked the surgeon and he said he's found people find different things that bother them or there's nothing. he said he couldn't eat lettuce after his was taken out.. bodies are strange.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I love hot peppers but I really don't care for sweet peppers. Sweet peppers are kind of a pointless vegetable. They're healthy for you though - very high in vitamin C and in the case of yellow and red, vitamin A as well.
Actually I like the flavor of a good red bell pepper. I agree with you about regular bells. As for healthy, flavor etc. All peppers are supposed to be very healthy and if that is the case, I should live to be 100. We eat all kinds, almost daily or certainly about 4 times a week. I feel sorry for people who can't eat them. Even after my mom in law had gall bladder surgery she still enjoyed her peppers.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:10 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Red peppers are in everything around here and I hate then because they burn your mouth and spoil the taste of the food.

Right now I'm visiting in the UK and thought I'd be free of red peppers. No. They turned up in cole slaw! Could not get them out so it was ruined. Tonight I had a blt that came with a nice salad...turned out 1/3 of it consisted of slices of red pepper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink