Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2023, 12:31 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times

Advertisements

We had Puerto Rican chicken pinchos, pasta with olive oil and parmesan, potatoes, and Welch's Sparkling Rosé Grape Juice. For dessert we made lemon cupcakes with pink cream cheese frosting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 02:03 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Girlfriend did bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, and biscuits.

We ate a hot dog from a food truck at a brewery for a late lunch after house hunting. We had burgers for dinner - I had kale salad, she had chips.

Old 04-10-2023, 04:39 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Sister made ham, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, sweet potato casserole, and cornbread. We brought a lentil shepherd's pie. Dessert was brownies, peach pie and cupcakes.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:56 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sister made ham, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, sweet potato casserole, and cornbread. We brought a lentil shepherd's pie. Dessert was brownies, peach pie and cupcakes.
Southern cooking at its best! When or why did a woman raised in New Jersey start doing this? I love good collard greens. I love peach pie. I'm never going to make or bake them.

Son and I had a very nice porterhouse steak for him and killer shrimp scampi for me. He wanted roasted potatoes, and I wanted asparagus. We shared. Neither of us wanted dessert.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:30 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Southern cooking at its best! When or why did a woman raised in New Jersey start doing this? I love good collard greens. I love peach pie. I'm never going to make or bake them.

Son and I had a very nice porterhouse steak for him and killer shrimp scampi for me. He wanted roasted potatoes, and I wanted asparagus. We shared. Neither of us wanted dessert.
Her husband's mother was from the south, and a lot of black people still cook that way even if they've been up here for a couple of generations. Her husband's first wife and his sister, both born and raised in Bergen County, cook that food, too. When they cook at my sister's house, I'm THERE. My sister apparently learned to make some good stuff from them over the years!

Old 03-29-2024, 10:43 AM

19,785 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Default Easter Dinner plans

We're doing the standard fare this year. I've had a country cured ham hanging in our basement cupboard for a year- a little longer, so took it out today and going to soak and change water for a few days to get it ready for Easter dinner.

I believe the missus is making bacon wrapped asparagus, canned garden green beans, parmesan mashed potatoes (from the garden too), fresh rolls and a lemon caper yogurt sauce.

Anything special on your menus?

Old 03-29-2024, 03:17 PM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times
Your ham dinner sounds delicious!

My Aunt makes a most wonderful beef stew and we have asked her to make that as our main course. It's full of good root vegetables like parsnips, carrots, and cobs of corn. A real meal in itself. It has a great beef broth, I believe made with red wine.

The rest of us will be bringing sides and desserts. I make a pretty good dark chocolate silk pie and I'll be topping it with whipped cream and crushed malted milk Easter eggs to make it "Eastery". It's pretty decadent. Good coffee of course too.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:27 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,133 times
We're going to our Army buddy's assisted living facility to have lunch with him. It's nothing special, just normal lunch there, but we figured keeping him company was a better deal than trying to put something together ourselves.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:46 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Deviled eggs, Honeybaked ham, King's Hawaiian rolls, corn casserole, roasted green beans with caramelized onions, broccoli slaw, coconut cake.

Pretty standard stuff.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:11 PM

19,785 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
We're going to our Army buddy's assisted living facility to have lunch with him. It's nothing special, just normal lunch there, but we figured keeping him company was a better deal than trying to put something together ourselves.
Indeed!! HAve a great visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink