Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2022, 05:29 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,833,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
This sounds good to me although I'd never use that much sugar in it myself. https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Mustar...recipes?prm-v1

I've never made it but watched MIL do it several times. She didn't appear to use a recipe. Just mixed dry mustard and flour and shook it in a peanut butter jar with water to add to warm milk and then stirred it over a medium heat until thickened.

Don't remember how she seasoned it. I always passed on it as it didn't appear appetizing to me.

There are a number of versions online for the googling.

This one, used by the First President's cook, sounds especially rich and elegant and looks very pretty.
https://www.mountvernon.org/inn/reci...sauce-for-ham/
Thanks L! That looks like an awful lot of sugar to me, too. I would cut it in half, at least. Haven’t looked at the President one yet.
I also saw a recipe on Serious Eats that looks interesting too.
Eta: the Mt. Vernon recipe looks good. I would cut the brown sugar some in that, too, and maybe add some whole grain mustard for texture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 05:56 PM

20,938 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
We got a Brown Sugar Spiral Bone-In Ham from Sam's Club
Broccoli Rice casserole
Au Gratin Potatoes
Seven Layer Salad
Brown and Serve Rolls
Deviled Eggs
Dessert is Blueberry Cobbler with vanilla ice cream or just ice cream if they don't want the cobbler. Doing Easter meal on Saturday with Daughter's family - 2 granddaughters 12 and 4. Then going to Daughters husbands family after church on Easater.
I'd love to get the recipe for the seven layer salad. Sounds interesting

Old 04-13-2022, 06:22 AM

27,199 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Good Friday and Easter Monday are public holidays in the UK, so Easter is generally a four day religious holiday for workers and two weeks off for school children.

In terms of the traditional British Easter Sunday Lunch it is Lamb in order to remember the sacrifice of Jesus.

In many Christian countries, the lamb is a representation of Jesus sacrificing himself and dying on the cross - Jesus being “the lamb of God”.

The sacrificial lamb is also mentioned in the Old Testament, when God asks Abraham to sacrifice his son. Abraham’s son, on seeing the fire being prepared, asked: “The fire and wood are here, but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?” When God sees that Abraham is willing to sacrifice his son, God tells him to stop and instead a lamb is sacrificed.

Easter Lamb Recipes - Great British Chefs

Old 04-13-2022, 10:56 AM

2,350 posts, read 616,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I'd love to get the recipe for the seven layer salad. Sounds interesting
Dressing:
1 1/4 c Mayonnaise
1/2 c Sour cream
1 1/2 tsp Cider Vinegar
1 TBSP Honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper.

Salad:
1 head iceberg lettuce chopped
2 c diced tomatoes
1 1/2 c frozen peas thawed
1/2 c thin sliced red onion
6 hard-boiled eggs peeled and sliced
2 c shredded sharp cheddar
6 slices crisp cooked bacon cut into small pieces.
2-3 green onions thinly slices

Wisk together the the dressing ingredients

In a large clear bowl or trifle dish layer the iceberg lettuce, (reserving about 2 cups) tomatoes, peas and onions. Using the sliced eggs position them on the their sides. Use any extra eggs and the reserved lettuce to sturdy them. Spread the dressing over the top and smooth to seal. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours to overnight. Right before serving, top with shredded cheese, bacon and green onions.

XX - I've made it before with celery and green peppers before
XXX I've made my own Mayonnaise with parmesan cheese.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:04 AM

20,938 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
Dressing:
1 1/4 c Mayonnaise
1/2 c Sour cream
1 1/2 tsp Cider Vinegar
1 TBSP Honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper.

Salad:
1 head iceberg lettuce chopped
2 c diced tomatoes
1 1/2 c frozen peas thawed
1/2 c thin sliced red onion
6 hard-boiled eggs peeled and sliced
2 c shredded sharp cheddar
6 slices crisp cooked bacon cut into small pieces.
2-3 green onions thinly slices

Wisk together the the dressing ingredients

In a large clear bowl or trifle dish layer the iceberg lettuce, (reserving about 2 cups) tomatoes, peas and onions. Using the sliced eggs position them on the their sides. Use any extra eggs and the reserved lettuce to sturdy them. Spread the dressing over the top and smooth to seal. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours to overnight. Right before serving, top with shredded cheese, bacon and green onions.

XX - I've made it before with celery and green peppers before
XXX I've made my own Mayonnaise with parmesan cheese.
This sounds so good. I am printing this recipe. I bet it would be good with some grilled chicken added and make it a meal.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:10 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times
That sound like an especially tasty dressing for the seven-layer salad.

Daughter, who instigated the mutiny on the Pavlova, has suggested she'd like Key lime pie. I suspect they are selling for an arm and a leg right now but DH is out scouting for them. We'll see.

I found an Emiril LaGasse recipe with five yolks. Wow.

If he can find some reasonable ones I'll make a gingersnap crust and serve it with a garnish of candied ginger.

It's been a continuous issue having a holiday meal with a chef in the family. Usually she's so overburdened for the week I don't get much help. But she said on the phone she's taking the week off! So it looks like I have a little extra time to make new adjustments.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:14 AM

19,818 posts, read 9,381,719 times
Although I was raised Methodist with the Easter ham dinner, I now don't celebrate Easter, but I still have the ham dinner -- however, we have it on the first sunny Sunday after the daffodils appear. In our house, it is more like "Happy Spring" than "Happy Easter." Anyway:

Ham (with the bone in as I make split pea soup later that week)
Mashed Yams with brown sugar and butter
Homemade Potato Salad
Cole Slaw
Fresh Pineapple
Hawaiian Bread
Wine

And some kind of chocolate dessert. We also have the tradition of watching "Lilies of the Field" that evening.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:27 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
We're going pretty traditional as we will have one young guest from Germany and two from South Korea--so traditional seems most appropriate.

Spiral sliced ham
Potato casserole (my mom's recipe with grated boiled potatoes, green onions, sour cream, and cheddar cheese)
Brussels sprouts
Green beans
Flourless chocolate cake

Old 04-15-2022, 10:56 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
I've bought a ham and all the stuff to make potato salad.

Potato salad would be an inexpensive dish if it weren't for the sweet pickles and the hard boiled eggs..... and now the potatoes and mayo are no longer inexpensive..

I was thinking Easter, the eggs will be on sale. I mentioned it to the checker and she said, "This is the special sale price".

Old 04-15-2022, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 705 times
Honey cured ham
Steamed asparagus
Deviled eggs
Roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini

It is just the wife and I, so we will keep it quick and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink