Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2022, 02:34 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My MIL married a man from the Netherlands and he always wanted what he called mustard gravy with his ham. It was a simple white sauce with dried mustard in it. But in looking up the origin I see a ritzier version was served at Mt. Vernon by the Washingtons made with eggs and with a more saucy, glazed-like look to it.

One of my aunts served her ham with a sour cherry sauce which was very pretty. And I remember in high school they used to serve ham with a raisin sauce.
Sure would love to see a recipe for that mustard gravy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 05:20 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
We have a small group this year, so I am only going to make some Easter traditional foods for snacking. -

- devilled eggs
- potato salad
- a fruit salad or ambrosia - not sure what.
- asparagus and hollandaise
- salmon dill loaf
- a variety of breads
- a variety of cheeses.
- coconut custard pie, carrot cake, lemon bars. One or two of those.

We'll go out for Easter Brunch and have these foods for Easter Week.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:28 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I love the Easter menu for ease of preparation, colors and flavors.

Daughter has secured a real-deal smoked ham from one of our favorite small town Ma and Pa butchers.

I like to serve it with thickened crushed pineapple seasoned with cloves.

Our decades-long potatoes au gratin in cream and cheese has been voted to second place in favor of what the "kids" call "funeral potatoes." To me funeral potatoes was scalloped potatoes but they refer to a hash brown casserole with sour cream and cheese.

Always asparagus with Hollandaise sauce. We often serve spanakopita too but if it's up to me it won't get made this year.

In spite of the fact that my popovers no longer "sproing!" for me like they used to I'm serving them with honey butter this year.

Mom's 1950's style 24-hour fruit salad with the cooked lemon dressing folded into whipped cream with slivered almonds.

Devilled eggs made into little hatching chicks. I'm determined to have them at least once. DD says they are cute and scary at the same time.

I'll put a small dish of watermelon pickles on the table.

And finally, the secret of Grandma's lemon Pavlova as unwelcome being let out of the bag, I've decided to make plain old lemon bars. The Pavlova being the joke of our Easter dinner for decades still has me shaking my head. Who knew? Not me, so proud of it! There's one in every family, heh.
Could you tell me a little more about that 1950s 24 hour fruit salad? That sounds interesting. Recipe, please!

Old 04-11-2022, 07:53 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 3 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Since we are only two people for this holiday, it will be a 2 inch thick porterhouse grilled with a dozen spicy shrimp on skewers, a green leafy vegetable and a stuffed baked potato and that’s just my meal with cheesecake for dessert .

Not a true Holiday Meal but one that I will enjoy❗️
Good eating!!!

Old 04-11-2022, 08:07 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Sure would love to see a recipe for that mustard gravy!
This sounds good to me although I'd never use that much sugar in it myself. https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Mustar...recipes?prm-v1

I've never made it but watched MIL do it several times. She didn't appear to use a recipe. Just mixed dry mustard and flour and shook it in a peanut butter jar with water to add to warm milk and then stirred it over a medium heat until thickened.

Don't remember how she seasoned it. I always passed on it as it didn't appear appetizing to me.

There are a number of versions online for the googling.

This one, used by the First President's cook, sounds especially rich and elegant and looks very pretty.
https://www.mountvernon.org/inn/reci...sauce-for-ham/

Old 04-11-2022, 08:15 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Could you tell me a little more about that 1950s 24 hour fruit salad? That sounds interesting. Recipe, please!
I'd love to share it, sheena. Mom called it her baptism salad as she served it for dinner the Sunday
I was baptized. I did the same when my kids were baptized. It was really quite an extravagance for those days when a Jello salad was something special.

I'll post it in Recipes.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:34 PM

35,080 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I have no idea.

We weren't planning anything. Grandmother is wanting to go to an Easter play Saturday night at her church. We're taking her. Now she's wanting dinner and I have no idea where to go that won't be full. She's picky as it is. I'd lay to take my grandmother, mother, and aunt out, but they've had so much animosity over the past couple of years that I doubt that will ever happen again.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:00 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have no idea.

We weren't planning anything. Grandmother is wanting to go to an Easter play Saturday night at her church. We're taking her. Now she's wanting dinner and I have no idea where to go that won't be full. She's picky as it is. I'd lay to take my grandmother, mother, and aunt out, but they've had so much animosity over the past couple of years that I doubt that will ever happen again.
That really puts you in the middle and on the spot. Your options depend on whether you are eating before or after the play. Is Saturday expected to be a busy day at the restaurants? Most of the people I know eat their Easter meals at home on Easter, so it might be easier than you think to get a table at your favorite restaurant on Saturday.

Regardless, good luck and I hope you wind up having a happy Easter.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:20 AM

2,345 posts, read 614,996 times
We got a Brown Sugar Spiral Bone-In Ham from Sam's Club
Broccoli Rice casserole
Au Gratin Potatoes
Seven Layer Salad
Brown and Serve Rolls
Deviled Eggs
Dessert is Blueberry Cobbler with vanilla ice cream or just ice cream if they don't want the cobbler. Doing Easter meal on Saturday with Daughter's family - 2 granddaughters 12 and 4. Then going to Daughters husbands family after church on Easater.

Old 04-12-2022, 04:21 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,552,838 times
We are having lamb kabobs, and beef kabobs.
Tahdig (rice)
Baba ganoush (eggplant)
Asparagus
Salads
Usually a pie, perhaps banana cream
Usually a chocolate cake

The only thing I’m responsible for is grilling the kabobs. Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink