Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 10:29 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you cant please everyone so ya got to please yourself (ricky nelson)

the sanctimonious attitudes I hear most of the time and I'm in the food business,,,are the organic people,,,,they have to shame other parts of the food world to justify why they are so expensive..

the angry vegans and vegetarians., I agree with the other posters.....thank god they are only 5% of the population and over 60% go back to eating meat

ive actually learned from the sanctimonious.....I put organic on the lobster signs... and free range...and sustainable, and kelp fed ... and the tourists love it

personally,,,unless I'm asked I don't give advice ...unless they are doing something seriously wrong or might make someone sick

why spoil the effort of someone trying to please the guests??
Oh, my nephew's been vegan for a couple of years. At least twice a year we have to have "the conversation." Sigh.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:42 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
I have noticed the food lecturing happens on many different internet sites.
What I do object to is how most sites will allow the lecturing to continue even though outright lies are used as facts.

The internet sites only seem concerned if anyone counters those lies with actual facts.
Then the person using facts runs the risk of getting warnings.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,560 times
Sometimes a simple old west "F Off" works wonders.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
This seems to be the one social area where no one thinks pointing out someone's choices as "bad" is taboo.

I had a vegan lecture me about cheese.

Drink coffee? A neighbor spent 20 minutes haranguing me for using Equal.

In my office, we had to make sure that one microwave was nowhere near the gluten free lunch of one of my colleagues (who then proceeded to lecture everyone on how gluten rich diets lead to dementia...)

And I don't eat beef or pork which certain people can and will not accept, so I often get a lecture on why its TERRIBLE not to eat beef or pork like a regular person.

I never comment on what anyone else eats, unless its my boyfriend stealing the last piece of sushi.

Why do people think its okay to complain about what others choose to eat (or not to eat)?
Probably more human nature than anything else. I think we all are inclined to wonder about others eating habits and too often comment on them. we have this problem within our own family as we have some very particular eaters, have some who have strange eating habits and others who do not eat particularly healthy, but that isn't a big concern. Most of us do eat a balanced diet, some of us eat too much though.
I never lecture anyone on what they eat, but I have to admit, behind their backs I do make comments. More because it is frustrating to try and cook for some people.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:24 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Ya, I eat healthy and some people find that weird. It's 2017 so really not. Depends on where you live, too. Certain areas you're "weird" if you don't eat healthy. I don't care much, though.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:52 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Ya, I eat healthy and some people find that weird. It's 2017 so really not. Depends on where you live, too. Certain areas you're "weird" if you don't eat healthy. I don't care much, though.
we use to get invited to many parties back in the day...
and my favorite gift for a dinner party wasn't wine,,,it was deer meat (venison, a frozen package )) I figured most would bring over a wine bottle,, and not everyone hunts so I did the hunting for them and even the butchering..
with my working friends of all levels,,,they loved it appreciated it..
with my wife's artsy left leaning friends......forget it,,,they were so taken aback, you would have thought I peed on their prius...

that's when I got an education about "tolerance"

Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,287,859 times
^^^

My favorite gift was an elk tenderloin.
My second was some homemade pickles?

When I had a huge pickle crock to give away a couple years back, wanna guess who got it??

Old 05-20-2017, 04:23 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
^^^

My favorite gift was an elk tenderloin.
My second was some homemade pickles?

When I had a huge pickle crock to give away a couple years back, wanna guess who got it??

pickles! great gifts!!

I always loved those gifts even as Christmas gifts of ..home-made foods from pickles to relish to dried/salted fish to jerky.. and even sausage

one of my favorite quotes/stories I heard decades ago -
in Africa, a teacher had a birthday coming up, one of her students was very poor and could not buy a gift, so on the day of her birthday, the students would walk to the front of the class, and say happy birthday to the beloved teacher and give her a gift, amongst all the well, packaged and glittering gifts, the boy walked up and put a piece of drift wood on her desk and said happy birthday, and went to sit down,,, other kids started making fun of the piece of wood,
so the teacher spoke up and asked, "is there something special about this piece of wood"? the boy stood up, and said yes ma'am, I walked 12 miles to the ocean and back last night to get it, my gift is not the wood, but the effort to get the wood, I did not have any money to buy you a gift" , the teachers eyes filled and she hugged the boy.

when someone makes a gift, like jam or jerky or even a cake... it means a little bit more

Old 05-20-2017, 04:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
pickles! great gifts!!

I always loved those gifts even as Christmas gifts of ..home-made foods from pickles to relish to dried/salted fish to jerky.. and even sausage

in Africa, a teacher had a birthday coming up, one of her students was very poor and could not buy a gift, so on the day of her birthday, the students would walk to the front of the class, and say happy birthday to the beloved teacher and give her a gift, amongst all the well, packaged and glittering gifts, the boy walked up and put a piece of drift wood on her desk and said happy birthday, and went to sit down,,, other kids started making fun of the piece of wood,
so the teacher spoke up and asked, "is there something special about this piece of wood"? the boy stood up, and said yes ma'am, I walked 12 miles to the ocean and back last night to get it, my gift is not the wood, but the effort to get the wood, I did not have any money to buy you a gift" , the teachers eyes filled and she hugged the boy.

when someone makes a gift, like jam or jerky or even a cake... it means a little bit more
great ideas, food gifts: I never think of that. I do give away a lot of what we can, but never thought to take it as a "thank you" gift.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:50 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
pickles! great gifts!!

and that is why receiving a birthday card in the mail means a lot more that someone sitting in frontof a computer and clicking on........." Happy Birthday"

The extra effort of selecting a card and mailing it makes it special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink