Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 06:48 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,919,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Thanks. Does any PC cookbook's recipes work with any PC ? Or does it have to be for your specific cooker ?

I read that liquid has to be used in a pressure cooker. Doesn't that make things like "baked" potatoes soggy?
Potatoes are one of the things I love to cook in the IP. You can get a medium-large russet tender in 15 minutes. I cook mine on the trivet that comes with it, so it steams more so than bakes but it does not get mushy. If you want a bit more of a baked texture you can always pop it in the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the skin a bit. I do that in my countertop toaster oven. It’s still faster than baking for an hour in the oven. I undercook several potatoes and then use them later to make hash browns or fries and they turn out great.

Oh and the recipes work for all electric pressure cookers not just the Instant Pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 12:38 AM

854 posts, read 1,701,942 times
Thank you

Old 03-03-2018, 03:43 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Thank you
Glad this worked for you. There is an Instant Pot thread and other threads in progress about recipes in that subforum.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:35 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
How well do flavors develop with the shorter cooking times compared to a crockpot or regular braising?
If I want to have the chickpeas for a salad or make something from unseasoned beans, I just add some salt after they cooked for 17 minutes and they are superior to canned.

When I want to use them for a particular dish, I saute onion, toast some spices and tomatoes to the pan with the chick peas, cook on high pressure for 17 minutes or longer on low pressure and let them cool.

Some types of lentils foam too much and could clog the meter so read your manufactures instructions well. When my vegetarian husband isn't home, I make Swiss Steak or Pull Pork in my pressure cooker.

Consumer Reports has an article on Instant Pots in their March issue but I'm so happy with the pressure cooker I don't own one.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:32 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Thanks all. Do you cook a lot of things in your PC other than meat? Because we rarely eat meat.
I ordered a lid recently so that I could use the IP to steam vegetables. It works very well for this.

The lid is $10 on Amazon. The steamer basket was about the same. I don't use the "basket" it comes with as that is not suitable. I much prefer this method to cooking vegetables now than any other. You can check the veggies for doneness as they are cooking when using the glass lid. I then drain the water from the bottom of the pan, add EVOO and seasonings and you are done.

As far as the size goes, the 6qt is ideal. You probably think it is HUGE because you are comparing it to a rice cooker. The base of the unit has to provide the heat so there is no stove involved, so it's a LOT smaller than the stove.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:56 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,942 times
I'm holding off on buying one for now. When you add in the time to build up pressure, and the time to release pressure, there doesn't seem to be much time saving, if any. Except for beans and meat(which we rarely eat anyway).

Old 03-06-2018, 06:05 PM

19,017 posts, read 14,191,607 times
Pressure Cooker Zest - - -
http://www.hippressurecooking.com/10...hey-got-there/

Pressure Cooked Bread – A pressure cooker technique innovation, this recipe aimed to get a passable savory bread from the pressure cooker. Not meant to replace oven-baked bread, this recipe was developed for people with very limited energy use (for example, sailors and campers).

Dulce de Leche Pressure Cooked Condensed Milk – A carefully explained pressure cooker technique to ensure the safest and fastest possible way to make this delicious dessert condiment.

Easy-Peel Pressure Cooker Hard-boiled Eggs – This pressure cooker technique innovation was the number one recipe, last year. This method triggered a pressure cooker egg craze because, though it does not necessarily save time from cooking without pressure, the ability to use a fresh egg and have the peel practically fall off is just so dang cool.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:39 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
I'm holding off on buying one for now. When you add in the time to build up pressure, and the time to release pressure, there doesn't seem to be much time saving, if any. Except for beans and meat(which we rarely eat anyway).
If you're goal is to save time, don't bother with an IP. It has MANY other advantages and positive things to offer, but I don't think speed is one of them. UNLESS you include clean up time. That's way faster with the IP.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:06 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If you're goal is to save time, don't bother with an IP. It has MANY other advantages and positive things to offer, but I don't think speed is one of them. UNLESS you include clean up time. That's way faster with the IP.
Gee, I wonder why they call it the "Instant" Pot? It cuts cooking times in half or more for most dishes. Beans for example, I can go from dried beans to fully cooked in less than an hour. Try that in a regular pot.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:12 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Gee, I wonder why they call it the "Instant" Pot? It cuts cooking times in half or more for most dishes. Beans for example, I can go from dried beans to fully cooked in less than an hour. Try that in a regular pot.
Agreed- some things, like beans are much faster. But not everything. Between waiting for it to come to pressure, cooking and then letting the pressure release, it can take almost as much time for some dishes. Things like rice and boiled eggs to me take just as long on the stovetop with less fuss. I make carne guisada in the IP a lot (we like it for tacos) and it's much faster than cooking on top of the stove and I don't have to worry about checking it to make sure it's not burning. I also made lasagna and a cheesecake in my IP and both took a fraction of the time it would have taken in the oven. All depends on what you cook!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink