Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:05 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, I remember when arugula was a big new thing, but that probably reached its trendiness peak back in the Eighties.
I remember reading some books by a British author that kept mentioning "rocket"...the protagonist would go to a restaurant and get something served on a bed of rocket. Finally looked it up and discovered it was arugula. I didn't know it had a traditional English name.

Funny thing was, the book character hated "rocket" and bemoaned the fact that it was so trendy and seen everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 10:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I am a year short of fifty. I grew up eating kale. My grandparents grew it. They immigrated over here from Maderia. I grew up amongst a large Portugese community where it is common. I was confused when it became trendy. I had no clue others didn't eat it growing up. I loved it growing up and I still love it.

It seemed for awhile arugula was trendy. It seemed to be in every other recipe I tried. Same with celeriac root and jicama a few years back. I like them both but find them expensive.
It does have a lot to with your background for sure. I love jimaca but as I have mentioned I was raised in S. Ca which even 50 years ago had a very high Mexican population.
When people mention avocados being a modern fruit, it make me smile. When I was a kid, 1/2 of our friends and us as well had avocado trees in their backyards.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:33 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It does have a lot to with your background for sure. I love jimaca but as I have mentioned I was raised in S. Ca which even 50 years ago had a very high Mexican population.
When people mention avocados being a modern fruit, it make me smile. When I was a kid, 1/2 of our friends and us as well had avocado trees in their backyards.
Same here, both with jicama and the avocado tree. Our tree eventually died and that was a sad day.

But my parents who were born and raised in Chicago said they never had an avocado until they moved to SoCal in the 50s.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:53 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
I tried broccoli first as a teenager in the 80s. It became trendy to eat it with cheese sauce. Now I like it raw, cooked, you name it. I don't think I actually bought a whole avocado until the 90s. Had guacamole in Mexican restaurants a few times before that, though.

Growing up in the 70s and 80s we ate pretty plainly, and my parents weren't big on vegetables. We grew carrots, peas and corn and a few other vegetables in our backyard, and ate canned green beans and beets. That's about it.

Fruit was mostly apples, oranges, bananas, and grapes.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:26 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
I never heard of Kiwi fruit when I was a kid. The first time I saw one was in the 80s. Mangos were not something we often saw much less ate and pineapple came out of a can. Oh and pamagranits (spelling) they were just something some of us ate and made a mess just to **** our moms off.
I know that I had eaten kiwi fruit by the middle sixties in both Illinois and Colorado. Fresh pineapples were available in Chicago in the late forties or early fifties. I thought that they were available everywhere. Every grocery store sold pomegranates. Check that spelling.

Quote:
Avocados were around, but I can't remember when I first had one—probably about 1960. That was the year when I first entered a Mexican restaurant.

I'd never heard of kale or bok choy and don't know to this day whether I've eaten either. I first had parsnips a few months ago; I'll stick to carrots. I learned about Hungarian wax peppers on this forum. That was a great discovery.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:11 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
thank NAFTA/WTO for all the exotic fruits available now

Old 03-07-2018, 07:41 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,895 times
Quote:
Reading the post on produce that used to be eaten more than now, brought to mind, the opposite. What do we eat now than no one hardly heard of 50 years ago or even 20 years ago?

I never heard of Kiwi fruit when I was a kid. The first time I saw one was in the 80s. Mangos were not something we often saw much less ate and pineapple came out of a can. Oh and pamagranits (spelling) they were just something some of us ate and made a mess just to **** our moms off.

As for veggies and we ate a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, that are more trendy today: Bok Choy, for one and kale is another. I never heard of Kale salad until a few years ago. As for bok choy, it was just something we got with our Chinese food in China Town. Tomatoes have always been a household word, but not 50 varieties, that is for sure.

I am sure there are many others, but these are the ones that come to mind.

I don't think Kiwi's became available till the 80's. They were received well and became popular.

Kale is trendy.

Beets are trendy.

Brussel sprouts are trendy. (Love them)

Avocados are trendy, though I've eaten them all my life.

Sweet potatoes are trendy.

Coconut products are trendy.

Quinoa is trendy.

Blueberries are trendy.

Zoodles are trendy

Spaghetti squash is trendy.

Jackfruit is becoming trendy.

Micro greens are trendy.

Cauliflower is trendy.

Anything that is considered an anti oxidant is trendy.

There was time in this country when celery was very trendy and fancy...I think perhaps in the 20's or so. Tomatoes were very trendy in the 19th century.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:42 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I know that I had eaten kiwi fruit by the middle sixties in both Illinois and Colorado. Fresh pineapples were available in Chicago in the late forties or early fifties. I thought that they were available everywhere. Every grocery store sold pomegranates. Check that spelling.

Avocados were around, but I can't remember when I first had one—probably about 1960. That was the year when I first entered a Mexican restaurant.

I'd never heard of kale or bok choy and don't know to this day whether I've eaten either. I first had parsnips a few months ago; I'll stick to carrots. I learned about Hungarian wax peppers on this forum. That was a great discovery.

I love parsnips...I only have them occasionally but I do like them roasted. I've eaten them for years. Avococados for decades. Bok Choy the same.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Lychee. But star fruit baffles me. Yes cool to cut up but the taste. Blah

Old 03-07-2018, 09:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I was fortunate that I lived in a very multi-cultural area and had a mother who was born and raised on a tropical island. Most produce that a lot of people never heard of growing up was commonplace in our home.
I just grew up smack in the middle of a massive agricultural belt in the US. We grew kale and tons of other greens, all varieties of squash, most root vegetables were commonplace, etc. They weren't exotics that hit the grocery store, they just grew in our garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink