Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 12:18 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
I don't think Kiwi's became available till the 80's. They were received well and became popular.

Kale is trendy.

Beets are trendy.

Brussel sprouts are trendy. (Love them)

Avocados are trendy, though I've eaten them all my life.

Sweet potatoes are trendy.

Coconut products are trendy.

Quinoa is trendy.

Blueberries are trendy.

Zoodles are trendy

Spaghetti squash is trendy.

Jackfruit is becoming trendy.

Micro greens are trendy.

Cauliflower is trendy.

Anything that is considered an anti oxidant is trendy.

There was time in this country when celery was very trendy and fancy...I think perhaps in the 20's or so. Tomatoes were very trendy in the 19th century.
I love tomato juice and drink between a quart ant a half gallon per day, but I never knew tomatoes were ever trendy. I did know that many people once considered the tomato poisonous because it's in the nightshade family. I once read of a British plot to poison George Washington by surreptitiously putting tomatoes into his food.

Gluten-free and gluten allergies are both the trendiest of the trendy.

I had never heard of zoodles until I read this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 05:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I love tomato juice and drink between a quart ant a half gallon per day, but I never knew tomatoes were ever trendy. I did know that many people once considered the tomato poisonous because it's in the nightshade family. I once read of a British plot to poison George Washington by surreptitiously putting tomatoes into his food.

Gluten-free and gluten allergies are both the trendiest of the trendy.

I had never heard of zoodles until I read this post.
I agree with you. Some of the foods on the list I would think of as trendy,others very common and very much part of our diets for years. I had forgotten about Brussel Sprouts. They are very much trending right now. Although they have been around for years, never have they been a veggie often eaten or likes. Now you see recipes everywhere using them. tomatoes on the other hand have been a staple on most tables for as long as I can remember. The variety of tomatoes is what some think of as trendy. I am one of them.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I tried broccoli first as a teenager in the 80s. It became trendy to eat it with cheese sauce. Now I like it raw, cooked, you name it. I don't think I actually bought a whole avocado until the 90s. Had guacamole in Mexican restaurants a few times before that, though.

Growing up in the 70s and 80s we ate pretty plainly, and my parents weren't big on vegetables. We grew carrots, peas and corn and a few other vegetables in our backyard, and ate canned green beans and beets. That's about it.

Fruit was mostly apples, oranges, bananas, and grapes.
thinking of broccoli, I once read it is the only vegetable that is healthier cooked than raw. Please don't ask me why cause I do not remember. I just remember I was surprised and it could have been one of those studies that actually was based on nothing.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I know that I had eaten kiwi fruit by the middle sixties in both Illinois and Colorado. Fresh pineapples were available in Chicago in the late forties or early fifties. I thought that they were available everywhere. Every grocery store sold pomegranates. Check that spelling.

Avocados were around, but I can't remember when I first had one—probably about 1960. That was the year when I first entered a Mexican restaurant.

I'd never heard of kale or bok choy and don't know to this day whether I've eaten either. I first had parsnips a few months ago; I'll stick to carrots. I learned about Hungarian wax peppers on this forum. That was a great discovery.
Fresh pineapples were around but they were not common place or often seen in peoples homes. I am surprised about what you say about eating Kiwi; the same with pomegranates. Now we see them in the markets,even in our juices. I love them; they are great as an accent in salads for instance.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:18 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
all kinds of sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, radish spouts, pea spouts etc.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:00 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
I don't think Kiwi's became available till the 80's. They were received well and became popular.
Kale is trendy.
Beets are trendy.
Brussel sprouts are trendy. (Love them)
Avocados are trendy, though I've eaten them all my life.
Sweet potatoes are trendy.
Coconut products are trendy.
Quinoa is trendy.
Blueberries are trendy.
Zoodles are trendy
Spaghetti squash is trendy.
Jackfruit is becoming trendy.
Micro greens are trendy.
Cauliflower is trendy.

Anything that is considered an anti oxidant is trendy.

There was time in this country when celery was very trendy and fancy...I think perhaps in the 20's or so. Tomatoes were very trendy in the 19th century.
As far as I remember, several items on that ^^^ list have been available where we grew up since
the 60's (other than quinoa, jackfruit & microgreens). We didn't have zucchini noodles but making
zucchini fritters was a big thing back in the 70's.
Many of the newer fruits and vegetables became available (and the spices ) with new immigrants from different parts of the world.

Tomatoes were grown in many urban gardens in the city where I grew up. If it's broadcasted,
tomatoes would be on the trendy list.
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-.../tomatoes.html

Other than the sprouts and kale, we grew up eating a lot of the other foods on this list:
https://www.rd.com/health/healthy-ea...nt-rich-foods/

^^^Also, since the information about the health benefits about tart cherries came out,
the prices have skyrocketed.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...efits#section8

Old 03-08-2018, 08:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
thinking of broccoli, I once read it is the only vegetable that is healthier cooked than raw. Please don't ask me why cause I do not remember. I just remember I was surprised and it could have been one of those studies that actually was based on nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Fresh pineapples were around but they were not common place or often seen in peoples homes. I am surprised about what you say about eating Kiwi; the same with pomegranates. Now we see them in the markets,even in our juices. I love them; they are great as an accent in salads for instance.
I checked the history of the kiwi in America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwifruit#History

Broccoli and cauliflower are the same species so the nutritional values must be close. Interestingly, I like both in soups but not otherwise. If you ever make cream of broccoli soup, try adding some Blue Stilton. I begin with a can of Campbell's, substituting half and half for milk and add just a whisper of cayenne along with salt and pepper. I pour it over very dark toast. Add the Stilton at the end and let it melt before you serve. I don't add much.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:51 PM

343 posts, read 229,810 times
Microgreens- basically lettuces that are so little most gardeners would want them to grow more to be "worth it" but it's a massive fad now. Of course I don't turn them down if someone wants to put them on my burger but when I grow greens I want them grown. Maybe it's a patience thing.

I eat a lot of mango and avocado because where I live they are just so good. I grew up eating kiwi fruit too so I don't think that's totally strange.

Right now in my area Durian is taking off. I've never tried it but we can get it here in any form. It's popular in shakes. I think I'd eat a Kiwi (I actually really enjoy kiwi but lack the patience to remove the skin) before braving durian and I've eaten a lot of stuff that stink or seem unappetizing to the mass public. One day I will try the durian probably. I'm just going to wait until I'm so stuffed up I can't smell it.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:13 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
The biggest trend I have seen on a large scale is a constant supply of fresh blueberries. Never even saw them as a kid as fresh anywhere.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
all kinds of sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, radish spouts, pea spouts etc.
though we did eat alfalfa sprouts as early as the 70s in So CA, you are about right and even in the 70s they were not a common household food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink