Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 05:18 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times

Advertisements

Hi all, and happy 2015 to everyone! I am trying to eat more protein at breakfast, as opposed to my usual low-fat and fat-free muffins (I typically bake several different kinds and freeze them, but even I get sick of them sometimes!). My go-to breakfast is scrambled eggs or egg whites (or half and half), plus 1-2 slices of toast (I LOVE the blueberry bread that they sell at my local Target) and a banana or other fruit ... plus coffee of course! Anyway, so far I have tried my scrambled eggs with different kinds of cheese (can't really taste the cheese, which surprises me -- we used to get scrambled eggs with cheese for breakfast at I-House in Berkeley and I could always taste the cheese, yum!); bacon bits; tiny pieces of cut-up ham; tiny pieces of cut-up steak; tiny pieces of red onions (was surprised at how much I liked this!); and I think that's all. (Oh, I didn't try these all at the same time, lol!)

I was thinking of trying avocado (love love love it) but I don't know when I would add it?

Oh, for breakfast I'm not too worried about calories as I like to get more of calories/fat early in the day rather than later. Just a habit.

So, what do YOU put in your scrambled eggs? Modcut

Last edited by Beretta; 03-13-2018 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: See DM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 05:28 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
I like cheese in scrambled eggs, too. They taste more cheesy if you add the cheese when the eggs are nearly done.

My favorite morning scramble is to wilt baby spinach in butter, add the beaten eggs, gently scramble together (almost more like an omelette) and add Parmesan when done.

Sometimes, if I have more energy, I will make a veggie scramble, with onion, maybe peppers, maybe broccoli florets, usually Cheddar cheese. If I use tomatoes, they go in at the very end.

Scrambled eggs with Monterey Jack (bonus if it's pepper Jack), salsa on the side.

I love eggs.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:42 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,469,631 times
My favourite adds to scrambled eggs are tomatoes, green onions and cheddar. You would add avocado at the same time as tomatoes. Basically that would be at the halfway point, right as you start to "scramble" the eggs.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I love eggs. I love cheese. But I find that you have to use VERY flavorful cheese -- strong cheese -- to taste it when it's mixed with eggs. It's weird, since eggs are really so bland, but it is what it is. I can taste very sharp cheddar but I can REALLY taste provolone or bleu cheese when mixed in with scrambled eggs.

I love eggs. I love avocado. So I thought that this would be awesome:

Avocado Baked Eggs Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I hated it. It turns out that warm avocado makes me barfy. So many people love this but I could barely get half of it down. I didn't put in cayenne, chives, or bacon (I didn't have any in the house), but I can't imagine those things would have made warm avocado okay for me anyway. But, again, so many people love it so maybe it's worth giving it a shot.

PS. That "rep" comment was hilarious. You're adorable.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:43 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,914 times
avocados go gray when they're cooked, so you're better off adding slices on top after you get the eggs off the heat.

spinach, feta & chopped onions with some basil (or a shake or two of Greek seasoning mix)

sautéed mushrooms and thyme with smoked provolone

salmon, cream cheese or marscarpone & dill

Old 01-07-2015, 05:50 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Oooooooooh, all these suggestions sound so good!! I love so many of the things that have been mentioned (spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.!!) so I can't believe it didn't occur to me to add them. I will take the advice about avocado -- warm avocado doesn't sound too appetizing so maybe I will just have it as a side.

Keep 'em coming please!

Old 01-07-2015, 05:56 PM

83 posts, read 113,382 times
I love fresh salsa on my eggs for something different. Add once they're on the plate.

For something way out there, try a few dabs of jam on top of your eggs. The sweet/salty combo is tasty.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:59 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,469,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I love eggs. I love cheese. But I find that you have to use VERY flavorful cheese -- strong cheese -- to taste it when it's mixed with eggs. It's weird, since eggs are really so bland, but it is what it is. I can taste very sharp cheddar but I can REALLY taste provolone or bleu cheese when mixed in with scrambled eggs.

I love eggs. I love avocado. So I thought that this would be awesome:

Avocado Baked Eggs Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I hated it. It turns out that warm avocado makes me barfy. So many people love this but I could barely get half of it down. I didn't put in cayenne, chives, or bacon (I didn't have any in the house), but I can't imagine those things would have made warm avocado okay for me anyway. But, again, so many people love it so maybe it's worth giving it a shot.

PS. That "rep" comment was hilarious. You're adorable.
Dawn will you stop following me around CD? Everywhere I go I try to rep you but I can't anymore! Awesome post on the Massachusetts board. And you are right warm avocado is just wrong!

Old 01-07-2015, 05:59 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hi all, and happy 2015 to everyone! I am trying to eat more protein at breakfast, as opposed to my usual low-fat and fat-free muffins (I typically bake several different kinds and freeze them, but even I get sick of them sometimes!). My go-to breakfast is scrambled eggs or egg whites (or half and half), plus 1-2 slices of toast (I LOVE the blueberry bread that they sell at my local Target) and a banana or other fruit ... plus coffee of course! Anyway, so far I have tried my scrambled eggs with different kinds of cheese (can't really taste the cheese, which surprises me -- we used to get scrambled eggs with cheese for breakfast at I-House in Berkeley and I could always taste the cheese, yum!); bacon bits; tiny pieces of cut-up ham; tiny pieces of cut-up steak; tiny pieces of red onions (was surprised at how much I liked this!); and I think that's all. (Oh, I didn't try these all at the same time, lol!)

I was thinking of trying avocado (love love love it) but I don't know when I would add it?

Oh, for breakfast I'm not too worried about calories as I like to get more of calories/fat early in the day rather than later. Just a habit.

So, what do YOU put in your scrambled eggs? (And FYI, when I start a thread, I am very generous with reps to all helpful replies!! )
You can out just about nothing you like....leftovers...veggies...meats....plain oadta if you have some cooked....any cheeses...it's easy to list what you can't put in themy (many fruits for example but even then some may like that)

Old 01-07-2015, 06:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Dawn will you stop following me around CD? Everywhere I go I try to rep you but I can't anymore! Awesome post on the Massachusetts board. And you are right warm avocado is just wrong!
Hahaha! But I love you!!!

modcut

Back on topic: I feel barfy now, just writing and thinking of warm avocado.

ETA: And it seems that *I* can't rep *you* either. But I would if I could.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-10-2015 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: off-topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink