Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

I don't think it has to be boring if you choose themes rather than specific dishes. For example, pasta night could mean vegetarian lasagna or spaghetti & meatballs or stuffed manicotti or linguini & clams. Soup/stew night could mean tomato soup or tex-mex chili or broccoli cheddar soup or chicken noodle soup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 10:41 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't think it has to be boring if you choose themes rather than specific dishes. For example, pasta night could mean vegetarian lasagna or spaghetti & meatballs or stuffed manicotti or linguini & clams. Soup/stew night could mean tomato soup or tex-mex chili or broccoli cheddar soup or chicken noodle soup.
That sounds more like what my mother did. She didn't serve the same dish, meal, every week, but tended to serve some foods on certain nights. We were Catholic, so there was no meat on Friday. Dinner was either fish or something like macaroni and cheese. Fall through Spring, Sunday dinner was a big meal with leftovers for Monday. When the weather was nice, dad liked to go to a state park of walk in the woods. Mom would pack a picnic lunch. Once in a while we cooked over a campfire.

Things like soup and meatloaf were always served Monday to Thursday. I liked Saturday because we never knew what we were going to eat. It might be a pizza, peanut butter and jelly, or a Swanson frozen meal if mom and dad were going out for the evening. I loved their turkey dinner. I got to lick the foil tray because they weren't watching.

We seemed to be on about a four week rotation.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:11 PM

914 posts, read 643,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The last few years I've been doing soup Sundays which also becomes soup Monday and lunch for a few days.

I tend to make fish on Fridays because I like a lighter meal before the weekend. If we're eating out or eating junk type foods it tends to be on Saturday. I also grew up eating meatless meals during lent: macaroni and cheese, tuna salad or grilled cheese and tomato soup.

I try to do a big dinner salad once a week--usually Wednesday or Thursday.

I can't until it cools off a bit more for soup Sundays to start. It makes cooking during the week easier.
what types of soups do you make? It sounds good especially for colder weather.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:40 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
I used to, but not every week. Wednesdays would be pasta night and Fridays would be seafood(or pizza/Chinese take out). But cuz of my job I just said screw it.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:47 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
We plan weekly menus and for the most part stick to them. It is rare if we have the same meal within a 2 month period. We are very adventurous eaters and like trying new to us dishes. Growing up, except for the time my maternal grandmother (Oma) lived with us, nightly meals were fast food. My mother and father were terrible cooks and the meals were repeats when they did cook. There are some things I will never eat to this day, tuna casserole and spaghetti pie right off the top of my head.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:40 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
I get time to cook only in the evenings. I make enough quantities to eat it as Dinner and leftovers are eaten next day as quick lunch. It is a money saving tactic also so that I dont have to purchase food outside.

There is a wide variety in what I cook. I cant cook like this dish on this day- I cant do it. My choice of dish depends on what ingredients I have in store.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:42 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
In New Orleans, Monday is red beans and rice day. I remember Prince's TV commercials that announced that Wednesday Is Spaghetti Day. And for many some religions, Friday is fish day.

Does anyone cook the same meal on the same day every week? And why?
Never did and never will. Food is way to adventurous thing to be restricted to 7 dishes that would be repeated every week, month for month, year for year.
It would left out all this glorious food of the world, also restrict our ambition to learn how to cook and try something new.
Things so predictable, like weekly menu are
for the lazy cook, and super boring in my opinion.
Almost a crime - if you think about your kids that would be introduced to only few foods in their childhood. I also believe that this practice breeds "picky eaters" who only eat food they know, and are afraid/ disinterested to try anything new.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:57 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Never did and never will. Food is way to adventurous thing to be restricted to 7 dishes that would be repeated every week, month for month, year for year.
It would left out all this glorious food of the world, also restrict our ambition to learn how to cook and try something new.
Almost a crime - if you think about your kids that would be introduced to only few foods in their childhood. I also believe that this practice breeds "picky eaters" who only eat food they know, and are afraid/ disinterested to try anything new.
Here! Hear!

BTW, red beans and rice are for lunch in NOLA, although we make them for dinner on occasion, as well as dirty rice.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
I could never do that nor do I want to. It sounds very restrictive and boring. I cook a lot more than 7 kinds of meals and enjoy the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post

BTW, tho, having one meal during the week be the same every week? COULD be a good thing, if it is meant to bring the family together for at least one meal. Eating together as a family is a healthy thing. Routine things play a part in our mental well-being, and in the our family's mental well-being. Sometimes its not about having adventure, or providing basic sustenance. Sometimes it's about providing stability and calm. That's important.

People engage in conversational small talk for the same reason. Who really cares what the weather is like! But sharing that with someone, as a family member, or as a neighbor, adds to family and community stability.

I agree that people like routine. Dinner at 6, or whatever time, is enough. I grew up when everyone was at the table for dinner at a certain time. Lots of fun and laughs with my mother there, lol...but you never "knew" what we were eating until the morning of. You don't have to have the same meal in order to create stability. Just have a set time when your family eats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I know. I had to convert one of my picky eaters. He ate very limited foods as a child and never "enjoyed" food. Hmm....maybe that's not a bad thing. I would probably weigh less if I didn't love all kinds of food

Last edited by ylisa7; 10-01-2018 at 04:20 AM..

Old 10-01-2018, 06:30 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if its something you really like....I cook steak 3-4 times a week chicken wings and pork ribs usually every week.
You carnivore, you!

I hope you throw in some roughage in with your meat diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink