Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 06:33 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I've cooked spaghetti every Monday and Thursday for the last thirty-five years.

Why? I like spaghetti. That and predictability.

It's actually become the family joke, but I'm OK with it.
What do you do with leftover spaghetti?

I use it for breakfast omelettes and frittatas, but I have been a guest at homes where they throw it away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
We've had Spaghetti Wednesday at our house for 30 years or so. My husband grew up with that and so we just do it too. My husband loves spaghetti and it's fine with me because we know what's for dinner that night and it is one of his nights in the kitchen.
Now does that have anything to do with Prince's TV commercials?

Old 10-01-2018, 06:42 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
What do you do with leftover spaghetti?

I use it for breakfast omelettes and frittatas, but I have been a guest at homes where they throw it away!
Leftovers! LOL!

But seriously, I just save it for lunch. I can understand tossing it, though. L/O spaghetti can seem dry, sticky and limp to some.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:22 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That sounds more like what my mother did. She didn't serve the same dish, meal, every week, but tended to serve some foods on certain nights. We were Catholic, so there was no meat on Friday. Dinner was either fish or something like macaroni and cheese. Fall through Spring, Sunday dinner was a big meal with leftovers for Monday. When the weather was nice, dad liked to go to a state park of walk in the woods. Mom would pack a picnic lunch. Once in a while we cooked over a campfire.

Things like soup and meatloaf were always served Monday to Thursday. I liked Saturday because we never knew what we were going to eat. It might be a pizza, peanut butter and jelly, or a Swanson frozen meal if mom and dad were going out for the evening. I loved their turkey dinner. I got to lick the foil tray because they weren't watching.

We seemed to be on about a four week rotation.
My Mother had a similar routine and we absolutely loved when our parents went out on Saturday nights because not only did we get a TV dinner but we got to stay up late and watch Love Boat and Fantasy Island. If they didn't go out we had sausage n pepper sandwiches.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:08 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Now does that have anything to do with Prince's TV commercials?
When I asked him my husband didn't know why his mom did it, but I suspect the commercial may have played a part. He says he could eat spaghetti more than once a week, but not me.

I do like this commercial. Anthony seems excited about Wednesday's dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNX1QtyG9_8

Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Leftovers! LOL!

But seriously, I just save it for lunch. I can understand tossing it, though. L/O spaghetti can seem dry, sticky and limp to some.

Add some water to it. We eat all leftovers in my house, lol.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
what types of soups do you make? It sounds good especially for colder weather.
Even though I live in Florida, I too do make more soups in the winter.

Lentil soup is my go to. And very simple: lentils, potatoes, carrots, leak, and celery in a beef stock.

And if it gets boring in a few days, add a frankfurter or ham to it.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
My Mother had a similar routine and we absolutely loved when our parents went out on Saturday nights because not only did we get a TV dinner but we got to stay up late and watch Love Boat and Fantasy Island.
When my parents went out on Saturday nights, my father, a chef in NYC, would leave something fantastic for me to eat.

But my babysitter ate my special meal, and fed me mac & cheese!

Old 10-01-2018, 04:29 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Although she didn't cook a given meal on a particular day of the week, my mom had a limited meal repertoire and we ate many of the same things over and over. Worse, she did not like spicy food which limited things even more.

I would say that we don't repeat a meal more often than 3 or 4 weeks.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:45 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
When my parents went out on Saturday nights, my father, a chef in NYC, would leave something fantastic for me to eat.

But my babysitter ate my special meal, and fed me mac & cheese!
Oh man, that stinks! I would have tattled on her to my dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink