U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2018, 05:42 PM
 
Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,707 posts, read 5,061,546 times
Reputation: 4723

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
They do not have food issues and they have reached out for help, so I would like to do what I can and have it be a little bit more interesting since I am sure they will receive plenty of lasagna, spaghetti, pizza, etc. from others.



Roast chicken is definitely on my list.

Hello Cdarocks,

Thank you for what you are doing YOU Rock! That family is blessed by knowing you! Trying to send you some REPS, but have to wait & spread the luv

I was thinking of a chicken & rice type of dish, with lots of veggies
(peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, celery, green peas, carrots, mushrooms, etc.) maybe add a bit of turmeric for color, ginger for a bit of a kick.
You can make 2 batches, one with small pieces of pineapple & one without. Leftovers can be reheated easily, and it tends to taste better on the 2nd day.

Having said that, here a couple of ideas, I tend to prefer the last one, which is the Mexican casserole.

Here are 2 chicken casserole ideas:
https://www.allrecipes.com/video/410...ken-casserole/

https://www.allrecipes.com/video/866...ada-casserole/


Mexican Casserole with meat:

https://www.allrecipes.com/video/822...can-casserole/


God bless you!

Last edited by countrylv22; 11-30-2018 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2018, 07:06 PM
 
Location: On the sunny side of a mountain
3,113 posts, read 6,856,431 times
Reputation: 6170
It might be nice to add some breakfast stuff too. Mini Frittatas that can be frozen and microwaved, some homemade muffins with some heathy stuff thrown in like blueberries and oatmeal, breakfast burritos individually wrapped and ready to microwave. Even some after school snacks so Mom doesn't have to deal with that. Could be simple like ham & cheese roll ups or some veggies with dip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 09:26 AM
 
Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,707 posts, read 5,061,546 times
Reputation: 4723
Smile A couple of more things....Chicken & rice. Paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
CD friends, there is a family in my community where the father is very ill and the family needs help with meals. I would like to help with this, but in my circles that usually looks like a lot of lasagna, pizza, baked pasta...I know these things are good transporting dishes, but I want to provide a little more variety. What are your favorite meals to care for friends? I would like to do this weekly, if possible, and they have 7 kids at home. TIA!

Dear CDA,

I forgot to mention the following:

1) I personally love a Spanish Seafood paella/rice dish.

But since that is very expensive to make (includes lots of seafood & saffron)
You can make a chicken paella, using the same cooking techniques, but with chicken. To give it a bit of a kick add some Spanish chorizo as well (Spanish type sausage) And this dish reheats beautifully & pleases a lot of people.

I personally believe that there are endless combinations of chicken & rice dishes, the best ones involve leaving the bone in, which in turn gives the ending result a ton of flavor.


2) Another idea is to cook a rice with a mixture of chicken, pork, and beef that you have previously sautéed, to brown it a bit. And again if you add a bit of Spanish chorizo, the end result is amazing The paprika inside of the chorizo gives everything an amazing touch. YUM!


Also, I tend to use short grain brown rice in a lot of chicken dishes, it is more filling. Just make sure to place it in water for a bit, just like you would do with beans & it cooks faster.

Most chicken & rice dishes taste amazing if you also squeeze some lime juice (from a real lime ) It
truly enhances the flavor of proteins (chicken, pork, fish, etc.)

In any of the dishes I have mentioned you can also try adding a bit of cumin, which is a nice touch as well.

Tip, when making a paella & or chicken & rice dish, make sure you let it rest for a bit before serving it.
Also, make sure to use good quality extra virgin olive oil. Add some turmeric for color & the health benefits as well.

I hope the links below are helpful:


https://www.tienda.com/recipes/paell...d-chorizo.html

https://www.themediterraneandish.com...ecipe-chorizo/

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...chorizo-paella

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...horizo-paella/

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/reci...sh-paella.html

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...856#reviewsTop


God bless you, for what you are doing! Take good care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 06:18 PM
 
17,863 posts, read 22,919,142 times
Reputation: 33026
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Dear CDA,

I forgot to mention the following:

1) I personally love a Spanish Seafood paella/rice dish.

But since that is very expensive to make (includes lots of seafood & saffron)
You can make a chicken paella, using the same cooking techniques, but with chicken. To give it a bit of a kick add some Spanish chorizo as well (Spanish type sausage) And this dish reheats beautifully & pleases a lot of people.

I personally believe that there are endless combinations of chicken & rice dishes, the best ones involve leaving the bone in, which in turn gives the ending result a ton of flavor.


2) Another idea is to cook a rice with a mixture of chicken, pork, and beef that you have previously sautéed, to brown it a bit. And again if you add a bit of Spanish chorizo, the end result is amazing The paprika inside of the chorizo gives everything an amazing touch. YUM!


Also, I tend to use short grain brown rice in a lot of chicken dishes, it is more filling. Just make sure to place it in water for a bit, just like you would do with beans & it cooks faster.

Most chicken & rice dishes taste amazing if you also squeeze some lime juice (from a real lime ) It
truly enhances the flavor of proteins (chicken, pork, fish, etc.)

In any of the dishes I have mentioned you can also try adding a bit of cumin, which is a nice touch as well.

Tip, when making a paella & or chicken & rice dish, make sure you let it rest for a bit before serving it.
Also, make sure to use good quality extra virgin olive oil. Add some turmeric for color & the health benefits as well.

I hope the links below are helpful:


https://www.tienda.com/recipes/paell...d-chorizo.html

https://www.themediterraneandish.com...ecipe-chorizo/

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...chorizo-paella

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...horizo-paella/

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/reci...sh-paella.html

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...856#reviewsTop


God bless you, for what you are doing! Take good care!
great post and links !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
70,633 posts, read 81,712,351 times
Reputation: 40332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
CD friends, there is a family in my community where the father is very ill and the family needs help with meals. I would like to help with this, but in my circles that usually looks like a lot of lasagna, pizza, baked pasta...I know these things are good transporting dishes, but I want to provide a little more variety. What are your favorite meals to care for friends? I would like to do this weekly, if possible, and they have 7 kids at home. TIA!
That is so kind of you and I am sure whatever is appreciated. You are right about the casseroles and pasta. A little goes a long way: Here are some of what I often bring to people who need meals: A nice roast or stew is always good, roasting a chicken and adding potatoes and a salad or veggies works. How about a meat loaf? I have done that as well. And of course there is the old stand by: soup, but I am sure they are getting plenty of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 08:39 AM
 
Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,707 posts, read 5,061,546 times
Reputation: 4723
Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
great post and links !!

Thank you, MB Coming from you, that is a nice compliment You are such a wealth of information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 11:24 AM
 
1,443 posts, read 1,409,837 times
Reputation: 4076
I am making a meal for this family today. I decided on buttermilk roast chicken, mashed Yukon gold potatoes, gravy made from homemade stock, roasted carrots with honey butter glaze and blueberry buttermilk cake that can be dessert or breakfast.



I will be making dinners once a week throughout January as well and will use many of these wonderful ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Phoenix,Arizona
3,974 posts, read 4,671,728 times
Reputation: 4079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I am making a meal for this family today. I decided on buttermilk roast chicken, mashed Yukon gold potatoes, gravy made from homemade stock, roasted carrots with honey butter glaze and blueberry buttermilk cake that can be dessert or breakfast.



I will be making dinners once a week throughout January as well and will use many of these wonderful ideas!

Thanks will never be enough for your kind gestures


Merry Christmas !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 03:37 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,366 posts, read 26,564,115 times
Reputation: 8674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I am making a meal for this family today. I decided on buttermilk roast chicken, mashed Yukon gold potatoes, gravy made from homemade stock, roasted carrots with honey butter glaze and blueberry buttermilk cake that can be dessert or breakfast.



I will be making dinners once a week throughout January as well and will use many of these wonderful ideas!
Keep your eyes open for specials for turkey or ham for Christmas and New Year's. If you can find a ham slice it up for a meal, then use the bone for bean soup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 10:07 PM
 
Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,707 posts, read 5,061,546 times
Reputation: 4723
Thumbs up Thank you, CDA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I am making a meal for this family today. I decided on buttermilk roast chicken, mashed Yukon gold potatoes, gravy made from homemade stock, roasted carrots with honey butter glaze and blueberry buttermilk cake that can be dessert or breakfast.



I will be making dinners once a week throughout January as well and will use many of these wonderful ideas!

That sounds like such a delicious menu. Great idea! I am sure that they will appreciate & enjoy it! Thank you!

Now, I know that you wanted to do something different, because most people are probably going to make a lasagna, pasta, etc.
But, I was thinking maybe later on you can make a different kind of lasagna, like
a seafood lasagna, it would be made with a white sauce (think New England clam chowder/Alfredo sauce), and it is all seafood (real crabmeat, shrimp, lobster, clams, scallops, etc.) And different types of cheese. You can add a bit of spinach or dill to it. Maybe even add some crispy bacon.
Just food for thought

A Blessed & Merry Christmas 2018 to you & yours! YOU Rock!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top